PDA

View Full Version : .22 Long Rifle Fun!!

K. Funk
August 13, 2009, 16:58
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/kandainv/am180-11.jpg

BATF check cashed 7/26, hope to have this puppy by Thanksgiving. American 180 drum fed .22. Runs at about 1,200 RPM. I gotta get more .22!!

krf

kev
August 14, 2009, 15:20
Good luck finding .22. It's been practically non-existent for the whole of '09.

The Wally World Federal Bulkpak has a good reputation in the 180. That's what I plan to use in mine if I ever get around to firing it. That's the first MG I ever bought on my license and it's been sitting in the locker since I unpacked it,......in January of '00. How sick is THAT?!?

Are you familiar with Val at E&L? http://www.brasscatchers.com/ This is the guy to go to for all things AM180.

chromestarhustler
August 14, 2009, 17:17
i have picked up 3 cases of the federal bulk pack from wallyworld, but i also go at 7am when i would get off work.

DYNOMIKE
August 14, 2009, 20:03
THAT is an FA piece I would love to own... :beer:

Guess ya should kept all that .22 ammo I bought Huh... :wink:

K. Funk
August 14, 2009, 21:34
I think I have about 30k .22, I think I am good to go!!

krf

DYNOMIKE
August 14, 2009, 21:57
I think so too.. :beer:

kev
August 15, 2009, 01:13
30,000 should last you awhile. That's 20 minutes of trigger time(and 14yrs of drum loading time). Start loading up on the accessories from E&L. Loading tray, maybe a stand, of course drums and winders(ungeared). The Lexan drums are great, especially with the aluminum baseplates.

Check out http://www.m60joe.com/ for replacement sear pins(originals break more or less constantly). I need to try out his loader someday.

perryturner
August 15, 2009, 08:28
I hope yours isn't as finicky as mine is. It'll dump a 275 round mag without a hiccup. Then it'll turn into a jammomatic. Then back to a sewing machine again. I probably should spend more time trying to troubleshoot it, but the rare times I get to the range, I just want to shoot.

I'm surprised at the rate of fire you gave. E&L timed mine at 1570.

BlasterLP
August 15, 2009, 08:29
That will be a fun one to have there!!

I picked up a semi 180 made by Voere in Austria at an auction in eastern KS one time, sight unseen, just put a bid in for '22LR, made in Austria' , got it for 325 dollars, thought I did good when I traded it for a Colt Python, which then was subsequently traded off on something else.
Wish I had either one of them back now :(

E & L makes good stuff, as already noted!!

kev
August 15, 2009, 09:43
Originally posted by perryturner
I hope yours isn't as finicky as mine is. It'll dump a 275 round mag without a hiccup. Then it'll turn into a jammomatic. Then back to a sewing machine again. I probably should spend more time trying to troubleshoot it, but the rare times I get to the range, I just want to shoot.

I'm surprised at the rate of fire you gave. E&L timed mine at 1570.

I think 1500rpm is closer to the 'correct' speed, but I've seen the 1200rpm mentioned in several early magazine articles.

Has your finicky gun been tuned by Val? Has you feedplate been staked down with the setscrews? That might help with reliability,..............at least those are the reports. Wish I could play expert on these things, but I don't know what mine does. It went to Val on it's way to me during the transfer and hasn't spoken since.

perryturner
August 15, 2009, 22:17
Originally posted by kev
Has your finicky gun been tuned by Val? Has you feedplate been staked down with the setscrews? That might help with reliability,..............at least those are the reports. Wish I could play expert on these things, but I don't know what mine does. It went to Val on it's way to me during the transfer and hasn't spoken since. I first tried to fire mine at the dealer's while waiting for Form 4 Approval. It fired out of battery, damaging the mag. The form 4 took a long time. It was during the anthrax scare. I think the form 4 package spent a couple of months in a warehouse waiting for scanning or decon or whatever before it ever started getting processed. When it was finally approved, I picked it up and sent it to Val. He tuned it up and put setscrews in the feed block. I think some of the problems I've had are with the lexan mags. And maybe some to do with the quality of the Fedral bulk pack from Walmart. Val recommends it, but I think it's a little inconsistent.

kev
August 16, 2009, 00:15
There have been some bad lots of the Federal. OOB fires are somewhat common with the AM180's, but yours is the first I remember hearing of damage to a drum. Usually it just blows out and blasts your forearm, so long sleeves and even a gloves are a good idea. Keeping the chamber clean probably cuts down on the OOB's, but that means swabbing it every drum or two.

Shoot plenty of copies of your form4 while you can. I've got dozens of them from the time of the anthrax scare and many(most)are deteriorating badly. Whatever decon or irradiatiating they did to the forms early on really messed them up. The forms came back brittle and burned. I'll bet some of them will be dust within another ten years.

Monkeyman
September 03, 2009, 18:47
If I had one of those I'd spend a huge amount of machineshop time making it look like a Lewisgun.