PDA

View Full Version : Colombian M1958 Madsen Range Report

cwo4uscgret
August 09, 2009, 21:39
A while ago I bought a Danish Madsen M1958 Colombian Rifle chambered in .30 US (.30-06). The rifle is purportedly the last bolt action military rifle sold to a government. I finally took it to the range today; here are the targets. 1st one is at 50 yards the second, 100 yards, sitting using a rest for the front of the gun.

http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/EBR/Madsen_Target_1.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/EBR/Madsen_Target_2.jpg
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/EBR/madsen_right.jpg

21inchPeter
August 10, 2009, 15:34
Interesting rifle, with usable accuracy. What loads did you use?

cwo4uscgret
August 11, 2009, 16:50
I used Greek HXP-78 and Lake City 72 .30 M2 Ball and 180 grain PMC .30-06. If I was a reloader and competitive shooter I bet someone could create a round that would amaze others with its accuracy...

DABTL
August 11, 2009, 20:50
Mine is extremely accurate.

I love the sights on the rifle.

K.O.A.M.
August 13, 2009, 09:11
I haven't shot mine yet. I'm wondering how the muzzle device reduces the recoil compared to a Springfield.

thunderchicken
August 14, 2009, 16:07
You oughta be getting better than the ak quality accuracy that is shown from that rifle. Mine shoots an 1-2" at a hundred yards. Not as good as a swede, but pretty darn good.

cwo4uscgret
August 14, 2009, 21:26
Originally posted by thunderchicken
You oughta be getting better than the ak quality accuracy that is shown from that rifle. Mine shoots an 1-2" at a hundred yards. Not as good as a swede, but pretty darn good.

Really? You think so? AK quality accuracy? Tell you what thunderchicken - since I don't normally shoot rifles - and this was the first time I shot the gun - lets see your targets. Otherwise when I learn how to shoot a rifle properly (I shoot pistols most of the time, not rifles) I'll post some photos.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

tac-40
August 15, 2009, 15:06
Really? You think so? AK quality accuracy?

Don't get your skivies in a wad. Your picture show a partial target that appears to be a full size silhouette target. If that is correct then your groups are running at 3-4 MOA which is about the same as an AK. If you are using a smaller or different target that information is not present in your description. As a guide, whenever posting pictures of group sizes, including a reference point gives the veiwer something to compare the size to. Really tight groups are often compared to a coin placed next to the group. Larger groups can use something different like a playing card, a six inch ruler or some other object of a known size.

Even stating that orange target pasters are 1", 2" or 4" pasters gives the viewer that reference point. You have used 2 different sizes of pasters (orange dots) and the smaller ones look to ber 2 inch and the larger looks to be 4 inches based upon the their relationship with the target.

cwo4uscgret
August 15, 2009, 17:18
Swell. I post about the first time I shoot a rifle that I've never shot before, and don't claim to be a long gun shooter. I respond to a post and someone says don't get my skivvies in a wad?

tac-40 I happen to know how to use different coins to show group sizes, etc; thanks for the advice though.

Maybe some constructive advice on how to shoot a long gun, something that I don't have a lot of experience doing, would be a better reply then "ak" quality shooting...

Don't worry though - with practice the gun and I will shoot better - then I'll post a photo that you can pick apart to your heart's content!

:eek: :uhoh: :D

tac-40
August 15, 2009, 21:02
Swell. I post about the first time I shoot a rifle that I've never shot before, and don't claim to be a long gun shooter. I respond to a post and someone says don't get my skivvies in a wad?

Really? You think so? AK quality accuracy? Tell you what thunderchicken - since I don't normally shoot rifles - and this was the first time I shot the gun - lets see your targets. Otherwise when I learn how to shoot a rifle properly (I shoot pistols most of the time, not rifles) I'll post some photos.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

We ain't trying to pick apart your shooting skills, at least I am not. There are guys here that can shoot the wings of a fly at 100 yds in a hurricane. I can never shoot like that. The reply to your post was that the rifle should be getting better accuracy than pictured if in fact it is shooting 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds. It was informing you that your rifle may not have been performing as good as it could have based on other rifles of that type performance.

There are many variables in that equation with the shooter being one minor part. The quality of ammo, sights, barrel condition, trigger pull, length of pull, and I can go on. Shooting a rifle is just like shooting a pistol; you have to use the proper techniques and practice, practice, practice.

Here are some tips on shooting a rifle. First and foremost, go shooting with a rifle shooting buddy. Let him show you some of the tips on the correct way to hold and shoot a rifle. Yes, just like a pistol, the grip on a rifle can affect accuracy as well as comfort with the recoil.

Do some research on what a proper sight picture should look like for your rifle's sights. Each type of sight requires different elements in order to be accurate. Use standard bullseye type targets. Using silhouettes is okay for tactical applications and you have already shown that you can shoot center mass. However, using a bullseye type target allows you to achieve the same sight picture time after time. Hard to do on a silhouette even with a bright paster as the aiming point. When supporting the rifle on sandbags from the bench, most rifles like the support (bag) as close to the receiver as possible. Any weight on the fore arm close to the muzzle can cause the barrel to flex, altering your point of impact. If this is inconsistant, your groups will show it. Same goes for using the sling. Try to be consistant with the sling pressure. Some rifles are calibrated to shoot with the bayonets attached and deployed. Other with shoot like crap with the bayonet stuck on the end of the muzzle. Heat also affects accuracy. A rifle is most accurate with the first couple of shots. The hotter the barrel gets the more it may distort causing a drop in accuracy.

Now go out and shoot some more. Post your pics of the next range trip cause some of the guys here can only read pictures and not words.:rofl: :angel: :D :devil:

cwo4uscgret
August 16, 2009, 06:22
TAC-40, thanks for the constructive advice. Most of the information you've posted is not unfamiliar to me - finding a shooting coach that can make the range when I can (I work shift work at the border) is difficult at times. But I'm working on it.

I do shoot "tractical" - and don't doubt even to 200 yards I can hit center body mass; but I want to shoot for small group size and I do know the Madsen, with a tailored reload, will be devastating to a bullseye...

Survey Punk
August 16, 2009, 09:33
Originally posted by tac-40
However, using a bullseye type target allows you to achieve the same sight picture time after time.

That was my first thought when I saw the target pics.

JB

tac-40
August 16, 2009, 09:42
No problem. You know what they say, those that can do, those that can't teach.:biggrin:

I think you will notice a big improvement just changing to a standard round target with a black bull.

ThePitbullofLove
August 17, 2009, 14:32
For the record, I'm not an excellent shot...not even close.

I had my Madsen out at a public range, and the old fudd sitting at the bench next to me wanted to talk about my "Springfield" when I pulled the Madsen out. He asked where the scope was, and told me I ought to put a Leupold on it, etc. He stated he was sure no one could hit the target at 100 yds effectively without a scope. I nodded, smiled, told him I only shot open sights, and proceeded to put 5 rds. downrange.

Here's my best group with my Madsen. It was fired at 100 yds, open sights, Korean PS-75 surplus ammo.

It is one of the better groups I've fired with surplus ammo and open sights.

http://images28.fotki.com/v1001/photos/2/28682/51984/group2-vi.jpg

The rifle is more than capable of 4 MOA, with the proper ammo and the shooter's skill (or luck in my case)

Here's a more typical grouping...
http://images115.fotki.com/v665/photos/2/28682/278659/1121233_IMG-vi.jpg

http://images25.fotki.com/v943/photos/2/28682/164443/Brians20Madsen-vi.jpg

Keep at it. The Madsen's a fine rifle, and with practice, you'll be knocking the bullseye out in no time.

randy762ak
October 04, 2009, 19:17
I love the Madsens - I have a 30.06 with s matching Bayo-- I have never shot it as I think its UNFIRED at least judjing By the Black paint on the feed rails . It Amazing how nice these came into the country .
As to shooting groups --Dont ever be Upset by fellow shooters comments -! we all good guys here- -I have several of my 1903s that shoot 5 in groups yet when I feed them OJP or FN -58 ammo the group shrinks to one you can cover with a beer can bottom..

MistWolf
October 08, 2009, 23:20
Interesting rifle. Don't know much about them. I take it the rear sight is a vee notch? Is the front sight a post, or triangle like the Mauser? When were they made? Who made them? How many rounds do they hold? Could you post a close up of the action? Why is the sky blue? How did grass get so green?

ThePitbullofLove
October 10, 2009, 00:39
Originally posted by MistWolf
Interesting rifle. Don't know much about them. I take it the rear sight is a vee notch? Is the front sight a post, or triangle like the Mauser? When were they made? Who made them? How many rounds do they hold? Could you post a close up of the action? Why is the sky blue? How did grass get so green?

Nope. Rear sight is a big assed peep sight.

http://images108.fotki.com/v607/photos/2/28682/164443/1050576_IMG-vi.jpg
http://images51.fotki.com/v178/photos/2/28682/164443/1050575_IMG-vi.jpg

Front sight is a hooded post. The two together make sort of a ghost ring type set up.

They were made by the Dansk Industrie Syndicat for the Naval Forces of Colombia. They were .30-06 and are called the last bolt action rifle to be produced as a front line weapon. They came at a bad time...designed in 1947, when the world was awash with surplus guns for pennies, and only ordered by the Colombians in 1958, when most nations wanted semi and auto rifles. They didn't see much use, so most in the US are in excellent shape.

There were only about 6000 made, so they're kind of rare. They have a muzzle brake integral with the barrel, a light contoured stock, and a rubber butt pad, so recoil is very mild.

http://images108.fotki.com/v607/photos/2/28682/164443/MADSEN-vi.jpg
http://images114.fotki.com/v634/photos/2/28682/164443/mad1-vi.jpg
http://images44.fotki.com/v1581/photos/2/28682/164443/IMG_1255-vi.jpg

MistWolf
October 14, 2009, 14:12
That's pretty slick!

hagar
October 15, 2009, 13:53
You ever want to trade or sell that Madsen, let me know.. :shades: