PDA

View Full Version : What Options for my New Lrb Rifle???

barney5
August 04, 2009, 12:19
I been on the waiting list for a lrb rifle since Jan. , What options should i get, M25 receiver? Which barrel?? Which stock-fiberglass or wood?, should i get a new bolt or use one of theirs(lrb) Flashhider-which one. All opinions welcome.
Thanks..

Topbanana
August 04, 2009, 12:21
Go with an M21 type, keep with the BR spirit! Medium weight BBL and Mil-Spec everything else!

Seaweed
August 04, 2009, 17:54
I like as heavy a barrel as possible. There's only 3/4 lb difference between std and heavy.

Use 4 groove if you plan to shoot milsurp. Use 6 groove for target grade bullets.

Get a heavy birch stock or McMillan if you want to hit something. Any stock you like will hit a barn door.

Milsurp the rest. Unitizing the gas system and a trigger job will put you ahead of 95+% of M14 types out there.

I have a few LRBs, but my best shooting M14 type is a Fulton with a std wt NM barrel. Go figure.

Beckman
August 05, 2009, 20:46
Why do you want your M14 rifle? What do you want it to do?

You can't really decide upon any options until you know your goals. Nobody else can set your goals for you.

Do you want a nice, pretty, civilianized representation of the M14 battle rifle? Then get a standard weight, 22" barrel, with a nice walnut stock and iron sights only, no M25 rcvr.

Do you want a scoped rifle for hunting or shooting at longer distances? Get the M25 receiver, and get a special stock with bedding and other accuracy work.

Do you want an all-around shooter or SHTF rifle? Consider the 18 1/2" barrel, also standard weight, with a GI fiberglass stock. The fiberglass is much more practical, but not as pretty as wood. Get an M25 if you're going to mount a scope.

Are you going to shoot in Service Rifle matches? You'll want a med. or heavy match grade barrel, iron sights only, bedding, and other accuracy work. You probably won't want a GI fiberglass stock, although a GI wood will work, as will countless other aftermarket stocks (as long as it's match legal).