PDA

View Full Version : 44 Super Blackhawk

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 17:11
I have a chance to buy this Ruger off my cousin hes fallen on hard times (familar story) and he wants to sell it, hes asking $300 for it.
Its suppose to be a mid 70's gun theres no (read your owners manual) stamped on the barrel anyway. It looks to be in real nice shape doesn't look like it was shot very much, has a very slight bit of wear on the on the muzzle from it being kept in a holster but hardly noticeable.
Should I jump on this or is this an average price for a Ruger like this? Thanks.

Mark

molotov
July 21, 2009, 17:15
If it was my cousin I'd give him $300 for it, as long as it was in decent and fully functioning condition.

Did you check cylinder gap and lock up and such?

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 17:24
Thanks for the reply Molotov, I don't know alot about revolvers but like I said it looks to be in exellent condition and it seems to be tight.

Mark

W.E.G.
July 21, 2009, 17:27
That's a very good price.

Your cousin is being generous.

Is he in dire straights financially?

If so, you might want to buy it, and hold onto it, so you can be a good cousin, and sell it back to him when he gets back on his feet.

I would feel a little guilty taking that gun from family, and flipping it.

Retired Bum
July 21, 2009, 17:32
If the Super Blackhawk in question is "mid '70s production, it should be a New Model. But if it were made before December 1972 it would be a so called "Old Model". Look at the frame and see how many screw heads there are. If three, then is is an old model. Two makes it a new model.

Some shooters prefer the three screw old model because they generally have a better trigger pull than the new model. And they don't have all that warning label crap either.

If the SB is an old model in the condition that you posted, then I would say that $300 would be a decent price. I still rue the day I sold my 1972 made old model Super Blackhawk.

And so it goes and so it did for about $150 as I recall.

The Retired One

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 17:34
Well W.E.G. we both live in Ohio so that being said theres a bunch of people in this state that is in dire straights. If I bought it I would keep it ,a cannon like that would make for some good protection around the house.

Mark

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 17:45
Well R B if look on the bottom by the trigger guard , there is 3 screws holding that on, underneath the hammer theres 2 screws, below the wheel theres 2 pins, serial # starts with 81 if that tells you anything, thanks.

Mark

Jaxxas
July 21, 2009, 17:45
I used to have a 77 or 78 Super BlackHawk. Awesome revolver. Built like a tank, recoil was fearsome with 260 gr swc loads I had at the time, and a 3 foot gout of flame out the muzzle at night. Traded it off even up for a Colt Trooper in 82. Without out a doubt it will take out the bad guys and leave you and your loved ones deaf for three days.

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 17:52
I've watched most of the Dirty Harry movies so theres no doubt in my mind its a tank. Probably be safer just to throw it at what your trying to shoot instead of shooting it, thanks Jax.

Mark

W.E.G.
July 21, 2009, 18:18
Originally posted by oleblu72
I've watched most of the Dirty Harry movies so theres no doubt in my mind its a tank. Probably be safer just to throw it at what your trying to shoot instead of shooting it, thanks Jax.

Mark

Dirty Harry used a Smith and Wesson model 29.

Not a Ruger.

I can vouch for the Ruger's utility as a club.
On August 18, 1979, I was beaten within an inch of my life by a campsite invader wielding such a "club."

gobbler
July 21, 2009, 18:24
Those pistols are amazingly accurate, they just have a natural point to them. I have owned probably a dozen of the old Rugers, darn tough pistols. $300 is a great price

gobbler

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 18:26
Yeah I knew Harry had a S&W, that sounds like one heck of camping place you stayed at I hope you didn't have to pay to camp there.

Mark

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 18:32
I'm going to have to get use to the way it shoots Gobbler, I don't have anything that kicks the way this one will, thanks.

Mark

ER
July 21, 2009, 18:43
My 81 prefix RSB has been all over with me. It was modified with a regular Blackhawk aluminum grip frame to reduce weight since it spends much of it`s time on my hip. The Pachmayer grip is kinda buggered from several drunken nights of pounding tent stakes in wherever I decided to squat for a while.

I bought it used in `86. They`ll prolly bury it with me... ;)

If you don`t want it for $300, I do.

oleblu72
July 21, 2009, 18:50
Thanks for the reply ER, I'll probably buy it help my Cousin out in the process. You could have used the 44 as a tack driver and shoot those tent stakes in the ground.

Mark

gobbler
July 21, 2009, 20:31
I'm going to have to get use to the way it shoots Gobbler, I don't have anything that kicks the way this one will, thanks.

Mark

It is a different shooter, tends to rotate in your palm with full loads. Get a pair of Hogue finger grips & it will make a big difference. I reload & shot light target loads mostly and hunted with hot loads. I do credit Ruger Blackhawks for saving my life in my teens when I 1st started reloading. Back then, the hotter the load.... the better. If I had started with a Smith or regular wheel gun, I would have took my head off!! Ruger makes one tough piece.

gobbler

davedude
July 22, 2009, 08:08
I'd jump on that deal. One of the sweetest shooting revolvers that ever graced my hands. I mean SWEET. Even the stoutly loaded rounds are reduced to SWEETNESS by the majic of the big blackhawk. It points natural like has been mentioned and is uber-accurate.

I WILL have one.

Dave Dude

maxhush
July 22, 2009, 10:21
I have a Ruger 44 SBH I bought back in the late 70s, early 80s. I used to carry it while hiking some strip pitted land just South of Canton (Ohio), very near where Bear Creek steak house used to (I think I heard that it's gone) be, just off I-77. That revolver got/kept me out of problems several times. People used to steal cars and take them back in there to strip them for parts, then apparently torch them. Between that and getting stalked by feral dogs, I always wore something on my hip while hiking there, often that SBH. If I have an observation about my 44 SBH, it's that the blue on single action Rugers from that era seemed a bit thin. Even after just the first few times in a holster there was some visible wear on the bluing, mainly near the muzzle. I've still got mine and I'll be keeping it. If you plan on using it for indoor home protection, you will probably want to do some research on the more specialized defense loads available that minimize penetration. Even .44 special defense loads should be more than adequate.

oleblu72
July 22, 2009, 10:33
Thanks Dave and Max for the comments. Normally I wouldn't be buying a large caliber like the SBC but the price seems right & it will help out my Cousin and if he wants it back later I can sell it back to him.

Mark

STGThndr
August 02, 2009, 03:52
OK Thread hijack of sorts... I ran into a nice lookin Super BH for $350.
has no "warning" on it. Same guy had an original Ruger flap holster a few weeks ago. Alas it is gone.
I have a Redhawk, 5.5 bbl and an Uberti.44 mag western style cowboy rev with
a nice Puma Carbine.. so Im 'into .44 mags and reloading. The Blackhawk caught my eye immediately.... and thoughts of building it with after mkt Colt grip frame, brass trigger guard...a few other things...
Does 350 otd sound good bad or indifferent?

bykerhd
August 02, 2009, 08:07
$ 350 sounds like a decent price for an older Super Black hawk. If it really is decent.
$ 275 to 300 would be better. But, you don't see that too often.
And, when they get down that low, condition usually reflects it too.

irocz28
August 07, 2009, 00:52
Here's a pic of my SBH I bought used 20 years ago.It is one of my favorite guns that I would never part with.Gobbler is correct on the grips,you need something better than the stock ones.Not sure what grips are on mine, they came with the gun.I think $300 is a very decent price...please post a pic when you get it.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2djzay8.jpg

oleblu72
August 07, 2009, 10:33
Nice looking 44 Iroc if I can figure out how to post a picture I'll do that, thanks for the picture.

Mark

ER
August 07, 2009, 20:10
iroc..........where did you buy that? My close friend had his stolen 21 years ago........identical grips and all :confused:

irocz28
August 07, 2009, 23:17
Originally posted by ER
iroc..........where did you buy that? My close friend had his stolen 21 years ago........identical grips and all :confused:
ER,
I bought it from an electrician I used to work with in Eugene Oregon.Where did your friend have it stolen from?

ER
August 07, 2009, 23:20
NC. Prolly too far away........it`s ain`t a really nice reblue is it? He has the SN at his gunshop.

irocz28
August 08, 2009, 23:51
It would be crazy if it was the same gun.I would do the right thing if it was anyway,I fricking hate theives!!!.Never had it re-blued,it's how I bought it.Previous owner also gave me the factory grips when I bought it.I hope this clears this up.
Kerry

irocz28
August 08, 2009, 23:57
Nice looking 44 Iroc if I can figure out how to post a picture I'll do that, thanks for the picture.

Mark

Mark,
Try tinypic.com,that's what I use.It's free and easy to use.
Kerry

ER
August 09, 2009, 00:10
prolly not the same gun. Strange though. Way too far from east to west coast anyway.

parallaxbill
August 09, 2009, 13:30
I've just recently located a mint condition 6.5" super blackhawk for $369.
Should I? It sure is talking to me. ;)

STGThndr
August 09, 2009, 15:57
Bill, YES if the price is fair.

oleblu72
August 09, 2009, 22:05
Thanks for the link Kerry I'll get the battery charged up on the camera and take a few pics and see if I can get it figured out.

Mark