PDA

View Full Version : Scout scope mount for M1 Garand

Hebrew Battle Rifle
July 21, 2009, 14:25
http://www.thecountryshed.com/m1_garand_scope_mounts.htm

Mini-Scout-Mount for M1-Garand:

Do you have personal experience with this mount? If so, how well does this mount perform?

xcpd69
July 22, 2009, 11:06
I can't cite the source, off the top of my head, but I read somewhere that the scout type mounts, on the M1-A anyhow, were frying electric optics, due to heat transfer from the barrel.

I believe this has also cropped up on a similar style mount for AKs.

Since I have once or twice burned fingers on hot semi auto barrels, I feel that's entirely plausible that an optic mount, directly attached to a barrel, MIGHT not be a good idea. At least on a semi-auto..

JMHO as an Armchair Commando.

kayakpirate
July 22, 2009, 11:32
A scout type scope on a Garand would be handy I guess.But you become "optic dependent" due to losing out on the best designed open sights ever.
Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone if they re-designed the unit to allow both open sight option and,a bit of airflow to keep things cool by slightly raising the mount.
If the heat is a problem and the loss of access to the iron sights is a minus,as it is for me,then this seems to be the better way to go.These guys should pay more attention to the consumer instead of tossing out a poorly thought out product.

xcpd69
July 22, 2009, 19:35
Originally posted by kayakpirate
A scout type scope on a Garand would be handy I guess.But you become "optic dependent" due to losing out on the best designed open sights ever.
Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone if they re-designed the unit to allow both open sight option and,a bit of airflow to keep things cool by slightly raising the mount.
If the heat is a problem and the loss of access to the iron sights is a minus,as it is for me,then this seems to be the better way to go.These guys should pay more attention to the consumer instead of tossing out a poorly thought out product.

Airflow don't help much when heat transfer is by direct metal to metal contact, I would think. Maybe at 90 mph???...... LOL.

kayakpirate
July 22, 2009, 22:58
Yeah,good point.Like a skillet handle...the heat would transfer.But it would have to get pretty hot.

Bama
July 25, 2009, 06:53
The C.M.P. has the same mount for $109, they work well, I put a cheap a$$ scope on mine for deer hunting, no problems.
I never shot rapid fire to notice any heat build up. But when sighting in and hunting it never came up.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/openroad2007/M1SC.jpg
BAMA

ByronF
July 25, 2009, 07:03
Burris makes tube-type scope rings with spherical inserts in the ring to ensure front and back are coaxial. I think they're made of something other than metal. This would help to keep the heat out of your optics but might melt? And they aren't much use for anything but 1" or 30mm tube optics.

Bama
July 25, 2009, 07:48
Over on CMP forums, guys say they have been using QD rings on the scout scopes, so they have ready use of the iron sights. I like the idea, plus I could use the same scope on my BM 59, if I ever figure out how to remove the handguard.
Here's my old Dane last deer season:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/openroad2007/M1HUNT.jpg

BAMA