PDA

View Full Version : parkerized Python, reborn by Sledgehammer

Texgunner
July 07, 2009, 22:23
This Python was originally finished in nickel and was left in a cardboard box in an open carport for years. It was given to a close friend and shooting bud of mine several years ago. When he first showed the pistol to me, I suggested that Randy Kline might be able to parkerize the gun. It was rusted and fairly well pitted in places and Joe and I both thought that a parked finish might hide those flaws better. It was delivered to Randy back in February or March. Well, my buddy Joe got the gun back a few weeks ago and he and I both think it looks great. Here are a few pics:

a couple before shots-

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/coltpythonbeforeparkerizing.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/DSC01038.jpg

and how she looks now-

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/pythonfullviewleftbest.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/pythonleftrearview.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/pythonrightsidefull.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/pythonrightsidecloser.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/pythonleftsidebarrelcloseuppythonlo.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/pythonrightsidepittinggood.jpg

bykerhd
July 07, 2009, 23:14
Colt purists will definitely be unhappy with it.
But, considering what you started with, it looks pretty darn good and it least it brings a fine old revolver back to shooting condition.
The parkerizing really does do a decent job of disguising the damage.
I would be happy to own it.:wink:

Jaxxas
July 07, 2009, 23:24
Looks pretty nice IMO. I love the utilitarian ready to go to combat look!

L1A1rocker
July 07, 2009, 23:54
Originally posted by bykerhd
But, considering what you started with, it looks pretty darn good and it least it brings a fine old revolver back to shooting condition.
The parkerizing really does do a decent job of disguising the damage.
I would be happy to own it.:wink:

My thoughts EXACTLY.

dirtyrice
July 08, 2009, 00:26
I like it. The grips pair with the finish really well. I've never been a big fan of stainless or nickel finishes anyways.

charles isaac
July 08, 2009, 00:48
Originally posted by bykerhd

Must be those purists that think Colts are for collecting, not shooting!

Glad to see that one got a new lease on life.

Rivitman
July 09, 2009, 19:41
Kind of has appeal in a post apocalyptic way.....

Might be seen in The Road Warrior or Escape from New York......

Sad, but still cool.

L Haney
July 10, 2009, 05:36
Did the rot get to the internals? Or does it still have that glass rods sliding feel? Byker summed it up perfectly on the outside. Did ANYBODY ever top the blueing job Colt did on Pythons? I really like that choice of grip too.

Lowell

Texgunner
July 10, 2009, 08:35
Lowell, it still feels mighty smooth. I don't think the 'rot' affected the internals much. Time will tell; I'm gonna talk the owner into taking it out to my place soon for a lil' shooting.

We knew it would be considered sacrilege by some to refinish this pistol but it was so pitted that any polished finish would surely suffer. I'm sure someone somewhere must have parked a Python before ("yes sir, you may park that Python right over here" or "may I park your Python for you sir?", lol) but I haven't seen another one like it. Hell, I thought it would be cool to cut the barrel down to 5" for some more 'uniqueness' but I was over-ruled on that.
:uhoh:

Gary

SWOHFAL
July 10, 2009, 13:13
I think I would've tried a coarser blasting media and maybe tried gunkote over the park.

Ron Walker
July 10, 2009, 13:34
I am never ceased to be amazed at how many owners think nickle plating is rustproof. In fact, it is worse, in my opinion, than blueing. Good save on that one, though, and a good everyday functional shooter. Ron

maddawg308
July 10, 2009, 14:35
Looks like an awesome job to me! Another junker brought back from the near-dead!

AndyC
July 10, 2009, 15:18
That's something I'd be proud to own. Randy does great work :beer:

L Haney
July 10, 2009, 15:56
We had a customer bring in a Python to the shop I worked in as a kid. He had taken it apart to "give it a GOOD cleaning". He had pried off the side plate with a screwdriver. I have seen revolvers that had been subjected to this, but none of 'em were as bad as this one. We did not attempt to fit a replacement, just sent it off to Colt's custom shop. Customer was pissed that they charged him, said it was still under warranty. I enjoyed the boss explaining how the warranty worked like it did with a car. Car breaks, warranty applies. You drive the car into a bridge abutment, get out your wallet. :biggrin:

AndyC
July 10, 2009, 16:16
Originally posted by L Haney
He had pried off the side plate with a screwdriver.
Reminds me of the sign behind the gun-store counter:

Gunsmith Fees - $60 per hour

Specials:
a. If you want to watch - $75 per hour
b. If you want to help - $100 per hour
c. If you already tried to fix it - $125 per hour

L Haney
July 10, 2009, 16:41
Originally posted by AndyC

Reminds me of the sign behind the gun-store counter:

Gunsmith Fees - $60 per hour

Specials:
a. If you want to watch - $75 per hour
b. If you want to help - $100 per hour
c. If you already tried to fix it - $125 per hour

We never did figure out how to charge for some of the re-assembly jobs. They'd walk in with a cigar box or a paper bag with the gutz of a hundred year old Italian or Spanish shotgun in it. Sheepish look on their face. Most of these were double barrels, and there was no such thing as an exploded diagram. These were pre innernet days. So, you started by laying it all out on a bench, then arranging things you recognized, triggers, hammers, strikers, firing pins. Sometimes all the parts were there, but not all the time. One guy tried to make it easier for us, he threw in a half dozen extra parts from a different gun. Sometimes I had to make a jig like a half face receiver mockup just to get an idea of the relationship of the parts of the lockwork. I got better than the boss at it, but only because he would let me work at it for hours.

DJ
July 10, 2009, 18:11
The before shots are enough to make one want to throw up.
The after shots are great. Randy did a great job refinishing it.
I know where there is a Colt Peacekeeper thats factory parked.....I'm tempted to buy it but do I really need 3 .357's?

Eric Bryant
July 10, 2009, 20:32
Outstanding! :D It looks purposeful. I was never much a fan of nickel plating, anyways - it's too heavily weighted towards "form" and not enough towards "function".

For any "purists" who may object, which is more preferable - a clean restoration of an otherwise unsalvageable firearm, or just throwing the thing away?

Para Driver
July 10, 2009, 22:04
I like it.. might have to look for a python needing similar salvation..
but perhaps as noted, a coarser blasting media?

SWOHFAL
July 11, 2009, 00:12
Originally posted by Para Driver
I like it.. might have to look for a python needing similar salvation..
but perhaps as noted, a coarser blasting media?

Yeah, I can still see too much pitting for me to think it is anything more than a salvage job.

Andy the Aussie
July 11, 2009, 00:34
Originally posted by DJ
but do I really need 3 .357's? .... yes ... ;)

a close mate of mine blasted and parked a well worn 4 inch 586 S&W....a great looking and very functional revolver was the result...!!!!

Texgunner
July 11, 2009, 08:14
Originally posted by SWOHFAL

Yeah, I can still see too much pitting for me to think it is anything more than a salvage job.

Well, that's what it is. A salvage job. The pistol was given to my friend; all he has in it is the cost of the refinish and the grips. The most costly part was having the nickel removed as I understand it. Sure it's pitted; that's why it was "free" to begin with. He could've simply left it alone and tossed it in a drawer but it has been given a new lease on life this way. It was salvaged.:)

Texgunner
July 11, 2009, 08:15
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
.... yes ... ;)

a close mate of mine blasted and parked a well worn 4 inch 586 S&W....a great looking and very functional revolver was the result...!!!!

Andy, that sounds like a cool pistol! Any chance you could post a pic of that one?
Gary

Ricketts
July 11, 2009, 08:52
Originally posted by Texgunner

Well, that's what it is. A salvage job. The pistol was given to my friend; all he has in it is the cost of the refinish and the grips. The most costly part was having the nickel removed as I understand it. Sure it's pitted; that's why it was "free" to begin with. He could've simply left it alone and tossed it in a drawer but it has been given a new lease on life this way. It was salvaged.:)

Shoot, some guys seemingly would bitch about being given this project.

You did good--just what I would have done.

And you are correct--removing the nickel was the hard / costly part. I've salvaged guns just like this. If you blast the nickel, it gives off a very pretty white spark until the nickel is gone. So you blast, and blast, and blast. Then you dip it into park, only to see all that you really missed or didn't hit hard enough. There are places that 'reverse nickel' plate. Works the same as plating but the anodes are supposedly switched in polarity so instead of the nickel adhering to the subject material, it is removed. Ain't cheap.

newfalguy101
July 11, 2009, 09:03
I am not a big fan of park on a revolver, I dont care for Rugers "target grey" either, but, the important part is that your buddy was able to take a junker and turn it into a shooter.

Well done.

SWOHFAL
July 11, 2009, 11:52

I think it could look better with more work.

Texgunner
July 11, 2009, 11:56
Originally posted by SWOHFAL

I think it could look better with more work.

No doubt.

SWOHFAL
July 11, 2009, 11:58
Originally posted by Ricketts

Shoot, some guys seemingly would bitch about being given this project.

You did good--just what I would have done.

And you are correct--removing the nickel was the hard / costly part. I've salvaged guns just like this. If you blast the nickel, it gives off a very pretty white spark until the nickel is gone. So you blast, and blast, and blast. Then you dip it into park, only to see all that you really missed or didn't hit hard enough. There are places that 'reverse nickel' plate. Works the same as plating but the anodes are supposedly switched in polarity so instead of the nickel adhering to the subject material, it is removed. Ain't cheap.

How about soaking it in ammonia? I seem to recall this will ruin nickel plating and is the reason you are careful with many bore cleaners on nickel finishes.

Andy the Aussie
July 11, 2009, 18:00

Andy, that sounds like a cool pistol! Any chance you could post a pic of that one?
Gary ....... nope... :cry: :( he took the "trade in" option with the Govt in 2002 and got out of handguns altogether. That 586 is not a paperclip or something .... :cry:

I may have a pic of him using it somewhere but I need to look ...!

SmokeEater2
July 11, 2009, 20:07
Originally posted by DJ
The before shots are enough to make one want to throw up.
The after shots are great. Randy did a great job refinishing it.
I know where there is a Colt Peacekeeper thats factory parked.....I'm tempted to buy it but do I really need 3 .357's?

Hell yes You do! If You don't for some reason where's it at? :angel:

SmokeEater2
July 11, 2009, 20:08
Good save on that Python! She looks ready for business.

gunner30
July 11, 2009, 20:27
"Brought back from the dead" I like that symbolism. This would make a great all weather zombie shooter:skull:

charles isaac
July 12, 2009, 11:06
Hell, I thought it would be cool to cut the barrel down to 5" for some more 'uniqueness'

But that wouldn't be original!

OK,
5" would be a perfect! Hell yeah, I'd chop that mother! Like, who has a 5" Python?

Then I'd post it on the coltforum, but would be afraid some of the purists there might not have their heart pills handy. Good bunch of dudes, but some of them might be a little neurotic when it comes to things like this.

Anyway, it looks like someone is going to be in for some serious Colt magnum wheelgun action!

Ron Walker
July 12, 2009, 13:18
"Shoot, some guys seemingly would bitch about being given this project"

I've noticed that on the forum. We have a saying down here in Texas (no comments about Texas because you'll only sound jealous) - "Some people would complain if you hanged them with a new rope!" Ron

AndyC
July 12, 2009, 13:58
Originally posted by charles isaac
Good bunch of dudes, but some of them might be a little neurotic when it comes to things like this.
Remember the Couger revolver from about 20 years ago? The 6" Python barrel on a Ruger frame? I would love to post pics of that over there if I could ever find one - I still remember the comments from Colt shooters back then... :D

SWOHFAL
July 12, 2009, 14:25
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/images/RH%20w%20Anaconda%20bbl.jpg

charles isaac
July 12, 2009, 14:48
Originally posted by AndyC

Remember the Couger revolver from about 20 years ago? The 6" Python barrel on a Ruger frame? Yeah, and the "Smolt"/Smython"-Model 19 with a Python barrel. Like to have one of those!

Texgunner
July 12, 2009, 16:16
Originally posted by Ron Walker
"Shoot, some guys seemingly would bitch about being given this project"

"Some people would complain if you hanged them with a new rope!" Ron

:rofl: :rofl: :wink:

Carolina Slim
July 14, 2009, 21:00
I saw a Parkerized Python at the gunshow here in PHX last week...trying to remember what was being asked for it but it was considerably less than the normal going price for a blued or chromed Python...only 3 figures. I'm guessing it may have had a history similar to yours.

Ron Walker
July 14, 2009, 21:41
"She was a ship -- the smartest man o'war afloat, and the best.
A hard, tough, salty, shootin', steamin' fool.
A trophy grabber, a fighter, and a he-man battle wagon.
Lieutenant Paul Schubert U.S.S. TEXAS, 1919-1923"

I remember giving dimes to help buy her for Texas way back when. I've gone on her every chance I've had since she first opened. I love that old ship!! Thanks for the memory. Ron

Texgunner
July 15, 2009, 13:34
Originally posted by Ron Walker
"She was a ship -- the smartest man o'war afloat, and the best.
A hard, tough, salty, shootin', steamin' fool.
A trophy grabber, a fighter, and a he-man battle wagon.
Lieutenant Paul Schubert U.S.S. TEXAS, 1919-1923"

I remember giving dimes to help buy her for Texas way back when. I've gone on her every chance I've had since she first opened. I love that old ship!! Thanks for the memory. Ron

Thank you for doing your part "way back when" Ron! I've heard that Texas schoolchildren did that but you're the first one I've known of. She's a great old ship and a piece of important naval history as well. The last Dreadnought-class battleship in the world. For a couple years after her commissioning, the U.S.S. Texas, BB35 was the most powerful weapon in the world. Her centennial is coming right up too. I never tire of going on board.
Gary

July 23, 2009, 21:18
That parkerized Python just looks tough! Man, you did right! Despite the corrosion, she ended up looking beautiful in a very deadly way! I might be wacked but there's something about that "parked" Python that just looks right! Excuse me, had to go change underwear. What a way to resurrect what otherwise would have been a lost cause! You did good dude!!!;) If you ever decide to sell her let me know, okay? I'll have to go now, got wood again, sorry!:biggrin: Sorry about that. I'm just nuts about Pythons and S&W Model 19's & 66's!!!

Rickey

July 23, 2009, 21:52
originally posted by DJ
but do I really need 3 .357's?

Of course you do! Next to the .45ACP the .357 Magnum is the only other real handgun in my opinion! Many, many years ago I was home on leave and shooting at an indoor range with my little brother. Another shooter that had been shooting a 9mm walked past just as I finished a cylinderful of 158gr JHPs, and asked, "What are you shooting? A Mortar?" I replied, "No, a real handgun!" Needless to say, he left with a sour look and no other words exchanged! I love my .45 autos, but there is something about shooting a .357 double-action that just gets ya going!
:D

EinheitElf
August 03, 2009, 20:30
I had a browning HP that a friend sold to me for cheap because he found out the hardway that one of the wifes cats had been going in the safe every time it was open and pissed on the soft case it was in,should have seen it when he opened it...he almost cried......offered it to me for $1XX.. I took it to a smith ,had it cleaned and parked. Still looked like hell, bad pitting in areas but internals goo and funtioned fine...used it for camping and general utility. I sold it and regret it..may need to try to get it back....

Nice job on that python there, i would be happy to own it and you never have to worry about messing up its collector value...shoot and enjoy!

Brass Rat
August 03, 2009, 21:09
That is just wicked looking.

Nice work Randy!

Has that same just f&%#ing business look to it that an FAL has, nothing cute, nothing cuddly, no sidewalk commando bullshit attached, just f&%#ing business.

I never owned a Python but I did have a 6" Trooper MkIII that I have kicked myself for selling back about '78.

FUUN063
August 07, 2009, 00:45
Good call bringing it back to shootin' status. It reminds me of the Colt Peacemaker that I did about 12 years ago. It went through a house fire, but it did not get too hot. It just remained wet for a long time after the fire because the owner did not even get it from the burned items left after the firemen went through the house. He brought it to me in a cardboard box. I did the same as Randy and it looks very similar. I stoned on it for a while before parking, though. Good job.:cool:

STGThndr
October 09, 2010, 03:28
.... That park is great, I guess we've all seen military parkerising that covered a lot of bad finishes. Utilitarian with "Dont Jack With Me" ALL over it.
Never did like or trust bright nickle as a finish... seen too many old nickled pistols that look like crap. Had a friend who worked in a Michigan auto plant bumper-chrome some stuff for me and the durability of that "body armour" is undeniable. Had a ww2 govt model that got chromed over some bad pitting.. it was dated to 1943 and looked like it had been in the jungle for awhile... so it was bright chromed and it filled all the pits pretty well... was all there was to do for it. It was referred to as my "Mexican Pistol" because of its' festive look... Just isnt right to see yer reflection on a pistol...
Not that Id do that to a nice pistol on purpose but that Python, parked as it is, looks damn good... military, and it's one a fella can enjoy shooting without wincing and worryin.. I too wonder what a little buffing to polish it first would have done.. and what the innards and barrel looked like on the inside.. just beggin to be opened and polished/stoned! That revolver will make a good carryin piece. I second the idea of the 5" barrel as long as you're doin up an otherwise throwaway... that would have been the tits... A real keeper.. but should the owner become BORED with it.. put me on the "contact list!"
NICE SAVE!! I know there's some envious dudes out there lookin at that piece!

DJ
October 09, 2010, 07:45
Originally posted by DJ

It's been well over a year since I made this post. That Peacekeeper is still in the display case at L.B. Toney's Alamo Gunshop in Dubois Pa. I can hear it calling me.....
He has $595 on it......

STGThndr
October 09, 2010, 15:51
Originally posted by DJ

It's been well over a year since I made this post. That Peacekeeper is still in the display case at L.B. Toney's Alamo Gunshop in Dubois Pa. I can hear it calling me.....
He has $595 on it......

NO offense meant but... waddaya waitin for? Need it to jump outta the counter and bite your arse?

DJ
October 09, 2010, 16:02
Originally posted by STGThndr

NO offense meant but... waddaya waitin for? Need it to jump outta the counter and bite your arse?

Christmas is coming. I might just have to buy myself a present.:biggrin:

gman
October 10, 2010, 16:24
I think it looks much nicer than a spiffy nickle finish to begin with.

quicksand
November 05, 2010, 20:44
Originally posted by gman
I think it looks much nicer than a spiffy nickle finish to begin with.

I agree.

Colt pythons should be blued, nickle or stainless shouldn't even be an option.

The Park looks better then bling bling nickle.

STGThndr
November 09, 2010, 05:37
The Colt Royal Blue on the Python is just tooooo good to be used.. thats the problem with Pythons. Since the bluing was desecrated, a good cleaned up finish and park job is making the best of a bad business. And now he can use it without wincing, and it looks business-like, too.

Jailguard
November 23, 2010, 15:42
http://http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/jailman_1/th_IMG_20101123_150553.jpg (http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m93/jailman_1/?action=view&current=IMG_20101123_150553.jpg)

This is my Python. My Dad carried it for years as a duty gun he had it re-blued by Colt twice before he had it hard chromed

Texgunner
November 24, 2010, 08:58
Jailguard, that's a classic! And, I bet money couldn't buy that off you either. How old is it by the way?
Gary

Jailguard
November 24, 2010, 11:00
My Dad baught it in the mid 70's and it was used when he got it so near as I can figure early 70's. I need to look up the serial # to be sure.