PDA

View Full Version : Low mounted scope

Survey Punk
July 03, 2009, 15:13
For a while Springfield offered a M1A with a low mounted scope arrangement. The rear sight was removed and the receiver drilled and tapped for bases and rings.
What bases were used? Did the scope get in the way of ejection? Still need a cheek pad?
Want to get away from the cheek pad and scope hanging up high like a satellite dish.

Thanks,
JB

Super B
July 03, 2009, 17:23
Have you tried an ARMS mount? They are fairly low and you need not remove the rear sight

John Crusher
July 03, 2009, 19:43
I used an Armscorp mount and when I selected my glass I made sure I could use low mount rings. Little bit of research and I'm good to go. I still use a lace on cheek piece but I was able to remove most of the pad inside.

Survey Punk
July 05, 2009, 06:19
Thanks Men,
Looking for a configuration that uses Williams, or similar bases mounted directly to the top of the receiver.
Both noted are still a bit high requiring a cheekpiece or reconfigured stock of some sort. I like the ARMS better of the 2.
Currently running a Smith with a ACOG and need a bulbous cheekpiece to get my head behind the eyepiece. The whole thing is very heavy on an already heavy rifle.
The whole thing is not insurmountable. Drilling and tapping and finding bases is easy. Thought someone would know what bases were used.

Thanks,
JB

TerryN
July 05, 2009, 19:22
Take a look at the LRB M25 receiver. That's about as low as you're going to get.

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14receivers.html