PDA

View Full Version : What's a good price for a Colt Thunderer?

Manedwolf
June 29, 2009, 08:23
A real one, mind you, 1877. An antiques place has one at 25% off, making it $712. Metal looks to be in good shape, grips are a bit smoothed down by wear, and it seems fine in timing and function, the gate is smooth, it functions. No powder burn, either. I can't tell if it was just kept in good shape, or polished all to hell, which I would think might affect value...?

I have no idea what they usually go for now.

Ron Walker
June 29, 2009, 12:09
When I see them which isn't very often, they are seldom less than $700 and usually a lot more. As to true value, only an expert could tell you that. Ron

Manedwolf
June 30, 2009, 18:50
I'd add that there was no nickel left, but it had been polished. Definitely used but maintained.

Gazz
July 03, 2009, 07:52
I would think that $700 may be all that it is worth but, only if it functions. Many of those revolvers no longer work as the lock work design was not so good, fragile and hard to repair. I sold one online (a good place to check for values - Gunbroker/Auctionarms -search in the sold in the past 90 days) for about $900 last fall. It had a fair amount of it's original blue and worked fine. Other things to consider with the 1877 is the caliber, .41's (The Thunderer) bring a few bucks more and also the short barreled storekeepers models without ejector rods. I think Wolff makes a spring kit for them but I understand it is a complicated replacement procedure.

Ron Walker
July 03, 2009, 20:17
They are a bear to work on and get right if the parts are worn. Ron