SAF59
June 27, 2009, 23:35
Yes.

Prototype Services
June 27, 2009, 23:58
I'm thinking about it too.

USMC 0341
June 28, 2009, 00:10
One thing to note - if you are transfering an existing SBR the tax stamp is $200. If you are building a new SBR the tax stamp is $200. BUT - the forms are different. If you use the wrong form of course your application will be rejected - and I believe your check will be returned but I wouldn't bet on it.

Make double sure you are using the right form from the start.

jaykden
June 28, 2009, 02:02
form 1 to build and register

form 4 to transer

gunner30
June 28, 2009, 08:27
So if I send my weapon to my smith to do an SBR, is it a double tax stamp? $200 to build it, and another $200 to transfer to me? That was the impression I got from talking to him last winter about an SBR job

USMC 0341
June 28, 2009, 09:03
If I were having a 'smith build an SBR for me I'd find a way to have him build it with an extension on the barrel which I could remove after I did the SBR paperwork. That way it would just be a rifle when it left his shop.

If it has muzzle threads have him silver soldier the extension on.

What is this firearm? I'm sure there's a cheaper and less complicated way to make this happen.

partisan50
June 28, 2009, 09:38
What do you want to SBR?

jaykden
June 28, 2009, 17:41
Originally posted by gunner30
So if I send my weapon to my smith to do an SBR, is it a double tax stamp? $200 to build it, and another $200 to transfer to me? That was the impression I got from talking to him last winter about an SBR job

the form 4 is for transferring OWNERSHIP.

what you would need to do, is FIRST, register the receiver (even if its built as a title 1 firearm with a 16+" barrel) as an SBR. then, after you get the paperwork back, send it to the 'smith and have him change it to the shorter bbl. absolutly no double tax

there are a few different opinions on sending title II firearms out to be worked on, like filling out a permission to travel form 5320.20, or just mailing a copy of the form1/4 to the smith with the firearm, as far as legalities go... but people have work done on their NFA firearms all the time.

no big deal really.

Prototype Services
June 29, 2009, 04:34
Hey ER, what are your plans? I am doing a 607. This will be my first foray into NFA.

gunner30
June 29, 2009, 06:27
Thinking of having my GSG 5 sbr'd. Would look way cool. Also my IMI Uzi

dirtyrice
June 29, 2009, 11:32
Sbr uzis are sweet looking. Get a suppressor and a case to carry both and WOOEEEE!

Black Elk
June 30, 2009, 12:20
Sending an NFA item out for repair/modification is not considered a transfer so there is no tax for that portion of your project. Assuming your smith is an SOT that is, if not then he can't do the work anyway (out in the public eye). If you go that route you should use the Form 5, Tax Free Transfer, to keep the ATF happy and informed of where the item is and lend legitimacy to the smith having it. This is not however required and as jaykden mentioned:

Originally posted by jaykden

... register the receiver (even if its built as a title 1 firearm with a 16+" barrel) as an SBR. then, after you get the paperwork back, send it to the 'smith and have him change it to the shorter bbl. ...

Then it is truly a repair to an existing NFA item which may be sent directly back to you the owner. If not you will be waiting on the ATF to approve the form for several months after the work has been completed.