PDA

View Full Version : Smith-Carona 03A3

4x401
June 24, 2009, 18:23
I`m barrowing a friends 03A3 for the Oregon Fal shoot this weekend and have a question regarding the safety. After the bolt is lifted to cock the action, the safety lever will not rotate to safe without grabing the striker knob and pulling it alittle more to the rear. It seems obvious there is a problem with it, but dis-assembling the bolt reveals no issues. Any insight is appreciated.

D.Fenestrate
June 24, 2009, 18:35
Thats the way they operate, that way the firing pin is not putting pressure against the sear while it is on safe. If the firing pin could break the sear then the rifle would fire when you took it off safe. regards, RW

Survey Punk
June 24, 2009, 19:16
Mine operates exactly the same. With the bolt cocked and open the safety cannot be moved unless you pull the striker a bit to the rear. Close the bolt and it operates as it should.
No real reason to put the rifle on safe until you close the bolt.

JB

4x401
June 24, 2009, 21:21
I have found that the most difficult problem I face these days is clear communication. I don`t get my thoughts across very well sometimes. My problem is just that, the safety lever can not be rotated to the safe position with the bolt CLOSED. This means that with a loaded round in the chamber, I have to retract the striker a bit with one hand while trying to engage the safety with the other. This certianly can`t be SOP for the rifle.

Illurian00
June 24, 2009, 21:44
Just happen to have an 03/A3 leaning next to my desk,,,; cocked & locked, the safety swings freely , 'ready to safe',,,
If the bolt is un-cocked when 'ready' via the stricker, the safety lever locks at ready,
I would simply cock the gun and engage the safety.
To unload (bolt must be cocked) push safety to straight up, sear is disengaged , work bolt.

JR in the NW
June 25, 2009, 00:42
You may have a one of a kind Smith Carona. Most others were just Smith Corona.:wink:

Survey Punk
June 25, 2009, 05:36
Originally posted by 4x401
My problem is just that, the safety lever can not be rotated to the safe position with the bolt CLOSED. This means that with a loaded round in the chamber, I have to retract the striker a bit with one hand while trying to engage the safety with the other. This certianly can`t be SOP for the rifle.

You're right. Something is not doing as it should. At first blush I would suspect a burr somewhere in the works.
As the rifle is borrowed I would return it to the owner and advise him of the anomaly
Try putting a drop of oil on the bearing surfaces of the safety and see if it loosens up. Barring that a gunsmith may need to look at it.

JB

randy762ak
June 25, 2009, 20:03
There is a good possibility this rifle is a rebuilt---with mis matched parts.
Check to see if it has rebuild stamps in the stock then check to see if any bolt parts have an -R on them reminton parts will interchange . if its got mixed parts You should check head-space and then look for SC parts to restore it

FAL GRUNT
June 25, 2009, 23:06
As with the design of the safety, when you engage it, you are drawing the cocking piece to the rear. Without having the gun to look at there are a few possibilities.

My best guess would be that the sear may have been "worked on" and is not capturing and holding the cocking piece far enough rearward that the safety can meet with its appropriate groove. This would be my first guess as you said you can draw the cocking piece to the rear and then flip the safety on.

I have to dis-agree with randy762ak, differing parts should not affect the rifles function. Whether they are Smith Corona, Springfield, Remington, RIA, should not matter. Most rifles have a mixture of all. Now, maybe there is something special about 1903's I've never heard about, but parts mfg shouldn't matter.

You can find lots of info on 1903's here:
http://m1903.com/

-myers

M1950
June 26, 2009, 11:04
I seem to recall there were some issues with the SC bolt that made it kind of picky about swapping non-sc parts. When I got my SC br from the CMP, I got one of the SPG bolts and it worked fine. In the interest of 'originality' I got a stripped SC bolt and tried to do a parts swap. It was a no go. If you read all the literature, I think you will find that this is the nature of the SC beast.