PDA

View Full Version : Winchester model 71

XxWINxX94
June 19, 2009, 09:26
Hello everyone, just wanted to see if anybody has an idea of what my model 71 in .348WIN costs. I've looked up prices on the internet, gunbrokers, and the blue book. I've seen anything from $700-$2000. It's in NRA Very Good condition and serial number 19XXX. I will have pictures up in a while. (Trying to figure out how)

XxWINxX94
June 19, 2009, 09:42
Got the pictures!

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/XxWINxX94/DSC00731.jpg

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/XxWINxX94/DSC00730.jpg

MAINER
June 21, 2009, 19:58
I'd narrow the price range to between $1,000~ $1,500.

It is a standard model, not deluxe. At the time these were sold, the price difference was only $15 or $20 if I remember correctly, but now it's more like $600 to $700.

I'm not sure if the recoil pad is origional or an aftermarket. They were available with the pad if ordered, but most 71's came with a steel buttplate. A lot of pads were installed after firing these rifles a few times. It would effect the value if you could verify the pad as "factory installed"

Next is the condition and I'm not referring to the bore, but the % of origional bluing and finish on the stocks. Any "refinishing" and the price would drop quite a bit. 95% or better would put it at the top of the estimate.

Your rifle is likely of most value to someone wanting a 71 as a hunting rifle. I would rather buy an Origional Win 71 for $1200 than any of the new reproductions by Browning that sell for that price.
I have a 71 Standard grade that I rate at about 80 % and consider it to be worth $1200~$1500.

PS, Your rifle was made in 1941 in case you're interested in such. These are great rifles and yours looks to be a fine example. Looks like a "keeper" to me! :shades:

cookiemonster
June 23, 2009, 18:47
I agree that is a keeper...

IIRC they lust for those rifles in Alaska. They rechamber them to 450 Alaskan (blown out 348 case). But if you need brass you can reform 45-70 brass and handload low-pressure loads (they turn out a bit shorter, but not detrimentally so).

I would add a Williams receiver sight if I had it...if I could afford it. :)

I would love to have that sitting next to my two Model 94's and Model 43.

D

MAINER
June 24, 2009, 09:17
Cookiemonster; Sorry, have to disagree with forming cases from 45-70. The .348 Win is based on the old .50-110 Winchesterl case, that has a much larger body and rim.

What cal. is the Model 43? I have one in .22 Hornet. Good rifle but I take care not to push it too hard.

cookiemonster
June 24, 2009, 18:47
Mainer,

thank you for that. I stand corrected. that is what I get for going off my memory and not going into my library. :)

mebbe I was thinking of another bottle neck that they used...40-82 or some such critter.

It is a 22 Hornet. Saw one for about 700 dollars in 218 Bee and I almost got it..but I was about 300 short and it was gone quicker than I could scrounge the rest.

My 43 doesn't get pushed either. I learned that 22 hornet brass will last for a good, long time if you use loads that keep the pressure down and speeds at or below 2400 fps. Also the accuracy is phenomenal when you keep the loads sedate like that.

D

bykerhd
June 24, 2009, 21:35
Nice rifles.
I'm a bit unclear as to why this post is in the Bolt Action section though.

denny
June 25, 2009, 02:11
Probably because there is NO section for lever guns or hunting rifles or a generic catch all section.
D.

cookiemonster
June 27, 2009, 12:10
then to get it back to proper forum topic, here is a gratuitous pic of my Model 43 :)

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/db_tanker/gun_pix/12-18-07072.jpg

Sorry for the messy bed. :eek:

But that little rifle gets grabbed at more than any other rifle I take to the range, even my Imbel.

And I love loading that cartridge...cheap cheap cheap...about 10 grains of powder and your there. even found some cast bullets...about 25 bn and doesn't lead the barrel with cooler powders. those get about 8-9 grains of powder.

MAINER
June 27, 2009, 12:46
Exactly like mine, 'cept mine is prettier of course! :D

Hodgon's "Lil Gun" and Hornadys V-max 40 grainers work good in mine.

Keep close tabs on them mags. hard to find nowadays.

cookiemonster
June 28, 2009, 07:47
even though the finish is a bit marred where the scope mounts are, I would like to dispense eventually with the scope and go with a receiver sight someday. Just a simple Williams. give it more of an authentic feel, I think.

And for the mags...yeah...I found someplace a few years ago but they were asking for organ donations or something exorbitant in price.

and the yours is prettier comment...I am guessing you refer to the bed? :)

MAINER
June 28, 2009, 19:15
Not really! I'll have you know that my bed is at least as messy as yours! :tongue:

For some strange reason (and dumb luck), the factory stock on my "43" is one of the nicest chunks of fiddle-back walnut I've seen on a rifle. All the 43s I've seen have good straight grain walnut, but nothing exceptional. Have sometime wished Winchester had put that wood on my Model 70 instead, but happy to have it where it is too.

www.firingpin.com has Win. 43 mags for about $35, but don't know if they are origionals or aftermarket!