PDA

View Full Version : Time line

skyhigh340
June 16, 2009, 20:12
Anybody have any idea how long the form 4 approval takes after they cash your tax stamp check??? Just curious. It took 7 weeks to get that far.

Artful
June 16, 2009, 22:15
First purchase? - 6 to 9 months total

After you have several under your belt and your in their system
then 3-4 months total.

May be slightly long due to big influx of requests due to Obama scaring people off the fence to buy after his election.

DesertFALrat
June 17, 2009, 10:29
Everything is taking waaaaay longer than normal right now.

I'm still waiting for my two inbounds to clear Form 3 transfers, which normally take a week.

It's been a month...still waiting.

If I see these things by Xmas it will be a miracle.

jaykden
June 17, 2009, 11:45
form 4s are taking around 4-5 months door-to-door right now....

i'm waiting on one myself.

the forms were mailed on the 14th of may, and the check was cashed by the ATF on the 19th.... not too bad i figured.

i'm hoping to be able to pick it up in september

skyhigh340
June 17, 2009, 15:28
That was the timeline I was figuring on. Also for your info. I just found out that my class 3 dealer is losing his ffl due to a violation at the end of the month. After talking to the ATF they said The transfer would still go through because it was submitted when he still had his ffl. When the form 4 is done he can still transfer the gun to me even though he doesn't have his ffl any longer.

jaykden
June 17, 2009, 17:30
geeze, thats rough... i wonder what the violation was?

skyhigh340
June 19, 2009, 10:05
Haven't asked, but the rumor is a paperwork problem with the way they were submitting it to the atf. No illegal sales or anything like that.

DesertFALrat
July 01, 2009, 08:56
I'm still waiting on my dealer's Form 3 transfers.

Anyone have any info on how long those are taking?

I can't even get the ball rolling until they get to my state.

One is for a suppressor from the manufacturer and one is for an MG.

DesertFALrat
July 07, 2009, 22:14
UPDATE

My SWR Warlock showed up at the dealer this week, so the dealer to dealer transfers are taking about a month.

BTW, for anyone who hasn't seen Warlock in person, man are they SMALL and super light!

Colt Vickers
July 09, 2009, 19:45
As a data point, I signed a Form 3 June 19, 2009. It was signed approved June 30. I had it in my mailbox on July 6. Probably woulda had it sooner if it weren't for the Holiday weekend.

Tom

101ABN327
July 12, 2009, 16:25
On the Form 1 side (SBR) here is how my timeline is going...

9 JUN 09---Wrote Check and Posted Packet to NFA Branch.

11 JUN 09---Your item was delivered at 2:09 PM on June 11, 2009 in MARTINSBURG, WV 25401.

23 JUN 09---Check cashed by NFA Branch.

What are the wait times for SBR's???

DesertFALrat
July 17, 2009, 09:59
UPDATE:

My SOT is still waiting on the Form 3 for the MG which was submitted on week of Jun 1.

It's been 7 weeks.

There is no consistency at NFA branch.
Oh, how I long for the days where F3's took a week.

skyhigh340
July 17, 2009, 14:01
subitted my form 4 on mar. 13th, they cashed the check on june 12th. still no word after that.

jaykden
July 17, 2009, 18:06
Originally posted by skyhigh340
subitted my form 4 on mar. 13th, they cashed the check on june 12th. still no word after that.

it took them that long to cash the check??????

WOW!!!

thats usually the first thing thats done immediatly after they get the paperwork.

my form 4 was sent in on the 17th of may, the check was cashed 1 week later.

101ABN327
July 19, 2009, 21:04
How long before you call the examiner for an update???

pmf
July 24, 2009, 14:46
I would call the NFA branch 4-6 weeks after the check gets cashed just to make sure its in the system. Have the form 4 handy so you know the serial number when they ask. It will either be not in the system (uh-oh), pending (most likely), or approved (yippee). Some folks think its bad to call the NFA branch a lot because it slows them down. I think as long as you keep it to once a month, there's no harm. The big delay is with the FBI running the prints which ATF has no control over. And what someone said above about the first time taking a long time and subsequent applications taking less time is BS. From my experience, each time is independent of the last. Its not like they have a "best customer" box there. Everyone gets the same treatment whether its their first transfer or the twentieth.

I've heard rumors that the NFA branch is swamped with form 4's (mostly for silencers) and the process is really bogged down. They used to cash the check almost immediately -- now even that is taking a month. I know my brother has been waiting on a machine gun for almost 5 months now.

I can tell you that the first Wait is the worst. May yours pass quickly.

101ABN327
August 08, 2009, 07:43
Originally posted by 101ABN327
On the Form 1 side (SBR) here is how my timeline is going...

9 JUN 09---Wrote Check and Posted Packet to NFA Branch.

11 JUN 09---Your item was delivered at 2:09 PM on June 11, 2009 in MARTINSBURG, WV 25401.

23 JUN 09---Check cashed by NFA Branch.

What are the wait times for SBR's???

UPDATE:

3 AUG 09---Assigned to an examiner at NFA.

67lemanster
August 09, 2009, 17:46

UPDATE:

should ever thing be in order your getting close. my last sbr took 2 months to get an examiner. then 14 days later my tax stamp was sent. i am in there files with a few suppressors and 5 sbrs so maybe that helps expedite once i got an examiner.

my first one 6 years ago go an examiner within 3-4 weeks and then took another month or so unitl approval.

i wouldnt call the atf until at least 10 weeks and 12 would be better. no need to bog them down with is it ready calls.

skyhigh340
September 04, 2009, 17:41
Here is the latest update:
March 13th submitted paperwork

June 12th check was cashed

Sept 3rd called dealer and wanted a full copy of my trust.

Sept 4th full copy mailed.

I guess I should be happy they are at least finally looking at my app.!!!!

God I love the effiency of our gov.!

jaykden
September 05, 2009, 00:18
my form 4 was sent in mid may.

went pending july 7

its still pending.

they are taking 4-5 months right now.

101ABN327
September 07, 2009, 12:20

UPDATE:

UPDATE:

7 SEP 09---Still no Form One in my Mailbox! I'm going to call this week for a SITREP

Stranger
September 08, 2009, 09:49
My dad just got his Form 1 back for a Sig 556 SBR. He sent it on April 10th and got the approved form back on August 28th. So, around four and a half months for someone who hasn't been through the system.

olgier
September 08, 2009, 09:53
i know guys that are still waiting after 10 months.

renaissance_warrior
September 08, 2009, 16:52
We shouldn't even have to be doing this at all. :tongue:

partisan50
September 08, 2009, 20:07
"Everyone gets the same treatment whether its their first transfer or the twentieth."

Exactly!

I don't know where these idiots get that "someone who hasn't been through the system crap." Same procedure for everyone no matter how many they have sent in.

ATF normally receives around 600K Forms of all types each year and in the last year, since the election, they are close to a million.

They are overloaded...period, even LLC/Corp and Trust transfers are taking longer (up to four months).

pmf
September 09, 2009, 11:24
Yep. The examiner is assigned to a tranferor by the first letter of their last name, not a transfree. If I go through two different FFLs, I'll have two different examiners. The treatment is always the same. It cracks me up when people advise putting a recently approved form in the package to "speed things up".

With the new administration, everyone is rushing out to buy NFA stuff before it gets banned (which will never happen). What else do you do with your stimulus check? At least silencers aren't made in China.

partisan50
September 09, 2009, 17:44
"The examiner is assigned to a tranferor by the first letter of their last name, not a transfree. If I go through two different FFLs, I'll have two different examiners."

Bingo!

Plus, there is still a chance that you will have a different examiner than usual. They will assign your transfer to another examiner if your regular one is swamped or on vacation, etc.

101ABN327
September 10, 2009, 20:11

UPDATE:

7 SEP 09---Still no Form One in my Mailbox! I'm going to call this week for a SITREP

10 SEP--Called for a SITREP and was told it was pending and "it would take a long time to get through". I was basicly told not to call back. This is slow rolling BS. There is no way this shouold take this long!

AlaskanMBR
September 10, 2009, 21:00
I'm about to send in paperwork for a can. Just got it filled out, stopped by the trooper station on the way home from work to get fingerprinted and get my CLEO signoff.

It just so happens the CLEO in my area is my good shooting buddy, so signoff/fingerprinting took ~10 minutes total.

Now for the long wait...:cry:

Lee Carpentieri
September 14, 2009, 02:39
A friend of mines son is an LEO and has been waiting 4 months now on a SBR transfer. So my buddy calls Batfe because he's also an FFL/Sot3 and Batfe tells him the long wait alone is due to Obama's people hiring an outside company to do the check cashing and paperwork processing to Batfe in W.V. It wouldn't surprize me if the comany hired doesn,t have something to do with A.C.O.R.N.
I had bought a SWD M11 with a Bowers Suppressor last year through my corporation and the corporate transfer only took 7 weeks. I've heard through some US Government people that Batfe is having one hell of a time from hearing complaints from Congress and Senators alike due to their slow ass attitude mentality and the fact that dealers are loosing their FFL,s due to clerical errors of their own accord. After having worked for the US Governemnt for 25 years I can see what Batfe's defense is going to be when their hauled in before Congress this year about the Batfe's abuse of dealers and threats, Batfe's telling the Congressional review panel, Well committee chair person, They can't fill out the paperwork correctly and thats why they had their license revoked. But yet these are the same people that have lost Batfe agency issued laptop computers and firearms and are the worst in any Dept. Of Justice Agency by far and almost the lowest paid. Like I've always said, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

Rudolf
September 14, 2009, 22:13
incompetence comes in all levels of government Lee. Not just the ATF.

But the ATF is a good and perfect poster child for government incompetence.

skyhigh340
September 21, 2009, 15:06
Here is the latest update:
March 13th submitted paperwork

June 12th check was cashed

Sept 3rd called dealer and wanted a full copy of my trust.

Sept 4th full copy mailed.

Sept. 15th My dealer recieved my tax stamp!!!!

Sept. 16th the gun is home.

Just over 6 months from start to finish.

Now I can make it to knob creek.

jaykden
September 21, 2009, 19:54
so whats the gun?

MG?

SBR?

skyhigh340
September 23, 2009, 10:32
M11 that has been converted to the Max-11. Pics coming soon.

jaykden
September 23, 2009, 18:14
NICE!!! can't wait to see photos.

i'm kickin around one of them with the lage upper....heard many good things about them.

problem is, the only way i could do it is sell the .50

:(

or wait awhile... and watch the prices go up more

digitalebola
September 29, 2009, 19:23
I just got my first form four back - Check cashed August 21st. Dealer called Sept 29th said it was back!

ramrod45
September 29, 2009, 20:08
Took me 5 months to transfer 2 suppressors with a NFA Living Trust. It was worth the wait.

skyhigh340
October 07, 2009, 22:35
Here is a pick of the gun and a target that has 120 rds at 25 yds.

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o444/skyhigh340/DSC00004.jpg

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o444/skyhigh340/DSC00001.jpg

jaykden
October 08, 2009, 04:07
excellent!!!

101ABN327
October 08, 2009, 17:45
My SBR (form 1) went pending on 3 AUG and as of today was still pending. SLOW!

I must have an examiner that is illiterate... I have FIVE fomr 4's on record!

jaykden
October 09, 2009, 00:04
its probably a different examiner with the form 1.

any idea who it is?

apparently, it doesn't matter how many you've had done in the past, it still gets put in the pile with the rest of them.

101ABN327
October 29, 2009, 20:12
Received a letter from Department of Justice today and thought I had an approved Form 1 but was disappointed to find out I had not filled in the "why I was building the SBR" block! I am SO pissed off!

I filled it in on both copies and will send it registered mail back to Martinsburg in the morning! I hope they don't sit on it another F UCKING SIX MONTHS again!!!

I can't believe it!:mad:

AlaskanMBR
October 30, 2009, 00:19
Received a letter from Department of Justice today and thought I had an approved Form 1 but was disappointed to find out I had not filled in the "why I was building the SBR" block! I am SO pissed off!

I filled it in on both copies and will send it registered mail back to Martinsburg in the morning! I hope they don't sit on it another F UCKING SIX MONTHS again!!!

zombies.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff244/akmbr/zombies.jpg

DesertFALrat
October 30, 2009, 01:04
Originally posted by AlaskanMBR

zombies.

That's friggin awesome.

jaykden
October 30, 2009, 11:43
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

jaykden
October 30, 2009, 11:45

don't worry, i'm pretty sure you stay at the head of the pack in cases like this. i bet you have it back in under 2 weeks.

101ABN327
October 31, 2009, 14:09
I hope so. I looked the paperwork over several times befors sending and still missed that block. I'm more pissed at myself that at ATF. Although it probably took my examiner all of five seconds to notice and bounce...

AlaskanMBR
October 31, 2009, 21:30
That's why I'm ultra anal about my paperwork. Last time I sent off paperwork, I opened up my sealed envelope (and had to re-package everything) at the PO just to make sure I got EVERYTHING right before sendoff. It was worth it. ;)

ds762
November 02, 2009, 09:50
Originally posted by DesertFALrat

That's friggin awesome.

and as of lately .. they have been denying some applications for having "cute" responses. I know of one that had pigeons listed and it was denied. Best to just stick with "Lawful Ownership" and be done with it.

101ABN327
November 07, 2009, 07:31
I hope so. I looked the paperwork over several times befors sending and still missed that block. I'm more pissed at myself that at ATF. Although it probably took my examiner all of five seconds to notice and bounce...

UPDATE: Approved 4 NOV! :biggrin:

K. Funk
November 07, 2009, 16:56
I have a form 4 with check cashed 7/26 for an American 180. Hoping it come in any day now. The average for me is about 4 months.

krf

jaykden
November 08, 2009, 02:48

UPDATE: Approved 4 NOV! :biggrin:

NICE!

what'd i tell ya?

:wink:

Lee Carpentieri
November 10, 2009, 21:19
I have to agree with DS762, Putting Zombies on a government form is very childish to say the least, BUT I'll bet that the examiner either shook thier head after seeing that or laughed.:rolleyes:

AlaskanMBR
November 10, 2009, 22:42
very childish to say the least...

A lot of guys who collect these items are really just big kids with an even bigger sense of humor, but I'm sure you already knew that.:tongue:

101ABN327
November 11, 2009, 15:17
Originally posted by jaykden

NICE!

what'd i tell ya?

:wink:

You were right! Now to mod my lower receiver and restore a nice Colt 607!!!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/000_0935.jpg