PDA

View Full Version : Had my eye open for a while for one of these,..

Temp
June 15, 2009, 18:04
,..and it turned up today. A 1975 Ruger Police Service Six .357 with a good finish and the old style grips,...$275 out the door. I had a couple varients of these back when they were still being made but let them get away from me. They were the 6" Security Six models,...one blue and one stainless.

I decided that I wanted to give their fixed sight 4" model a try if I ever stumbled upon another one,..and today,..there it was,..at a very good price. This one won't be going anywhere.

The bedside table has a new accessory.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/servicesix.jpg

TerryN
June 15, 2009, 18:17
Nice find! I have a weakness for the Security/Speed Six revolver. I plumb wore my first one out!

charles isaac
June 16, 2009, 08:10
So how do you like it as compared to your fine old Colts and Smith&Wessons?

I find them to be durable and serviceable, but they have actions like the Salvation Army. Most people I see shooting them tend to cock them first like a Colt Single Action or something. That or they pull double action painfully slow where they might as well have just cocked the thing in the first place.

But it is a good looking gun and I bet you can't wear it out!

Blue Monster
June 16, 2009, 12:13
Nice snag Temp!

Charles, I have a lovely old Speed Six and it has the finest double action I have ever shot. I have been offered trades that would turn you green with envy for it by confirmed Smith shooters (after they shot it). TRUTH

With a very little love those "six" Ruger actions can be tuned to work fabulously smooth.

And, yes you cannot wear them out :p

W.E.G.
June 16, 2009, 12:21
I got a 4" Security-Six new back in the 70's.

Didn't appreciate it for what it was then.

Ended up soon trading the Ruger for a Remington 788 in 6mm.
Never liked that rifle.
Traded it and a Remmy 7400 for a Browning A-Bolt.
Finally got into something worth keeping.

Missed the Security-Six so much I bought two.

Kept one, and gave the other to my sister in trade for some little bitsy Astra .25 that I didn't want her to have.

You won't find a more dependable gun.

...well, except maybe a GLOCK! :devil:

Temp
June 16, 2009, 12:27
Originally posted by charles isaac
but they have actions like the Salvation Army.

Not this one. I don't know if it's been worked on or if it's just smoothed out over the years, but it's very slick.

Temp
June 16, 2009, 12:34
Originally posted by W.E.G.

Didn't appreciate it for what it was then.

Same here,..except mine were 6" Security Six's,...as mentioned.

The crap the major manufacturers are cranking out today make the revolvers of only a few decades ago much more desirable, in my opinion.

I can't believe what has happened to S&W,..and their prices!

Yeah,..I'll take a nice old Service Six for $275 and let everybody else spend 2.5X that much on some scandium (?) piece of junk with a red plastic front sight and an ignition switch.

Temp
June 16, 2009, 12:40
I mean,..really,...look at this shit.

What kind of gooberhead buys a revolver like this?

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/ridiculous.jpg

Blue Monster
June 16, 2009, 12:44

I think he may be compensating for something...

brokexj
June 16, 2009, 12:54
Where can I find a deal like that on a service/speed six? All I can find is beat police trade ins for 350 up to 450.

Para Driver
June 16, 2009, 13:46
Originally posted by Temp

My eyes, my eyes!
please don't do that again without a warning...

Outlaw Patriot
June 16, 2009, 14:02

Well I have a 627, basically the same thing without the tac rails, and in stainless.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/170210_large.jpg

They're great guns, ".357 Magnum - 8 Times" as it says on the barrel, is hard to argue with. I love the moon clips it loads with, you can get very fast and smooth reloading with them if you practice.

I've actually thought that I'd like to have the tac rail on top of mine, simply because I'd like the ability to put a scope on it for hunting and range fun, but I'd need the ability to take the scope off without losing zero so I could still carry the thing for protection in the woods.

As for the light, well I use a sig as my nightstand gun, but if I only wanted to own one handgun, that I could hunt with, carry in the woods for protection, and use as a nightstand gun, that 327 would be it. It might not look like your traditional revolver, but it looks pretty practical to me.

L Haney
June 16, 2009, 15:58

Temp, you got a way with words, man!
:rofl: :rofl:

I had a Security Six that was my "walkin' around" sidearm when I lived in Las Cruces/ White Sands. Wish I hadn't of had to let it go. Super Vel 125 JHP's were scary accurate out of that thing.

SmokeEater2
June 16, 2009, 16:34
Good find Temp! I've had a 4 inch Security-Six since sometime in the 70's and it's still as solid as a bank vault. Those things are one of the best handgun bargains to ever come down the pike.

DYNOMIKE
June 17, 2009, 19:43
NICE Find TEMP...

Hey BLUE MONSTER :beer:

The Trusty SPEED SIX is one of my FAVES...
Picked Her up for $150.00 about 20 years ago... :wink:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P3160030.jpg

It's a snotty little fugger with a serious bark, but I LOVE every trigger pull.:shades:

This one has a couple Stamped letters on the side... ME S.P. 509

I guess MAIN STATE POLICE?

charles isaac
June 18, 2009, 13:26
Man, none of my revolvers have those cool markings on the barrels, just the maker, caliber and maybe some silly old patent dates. I'm experiencing some serious barrel markings envy here guys.

Temp
June 18, 2009, 14:25
Originally posted by charles isaac
Man, none of my revolvers have those cool markings on the barrels, just the maker, caliber and maybe some silly old patent dates. I'm experiencing some serious barrel markings envy here guys.

Mine is a 151 series,..from '75. It's a bit short on the barrel marking stuff.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/MVC-016S-1.jpg

charles isaac
June 18, 2009, 15:56
You got that instructions manual handy?

OK gents, I'm just kidding around.:angel: Warning or no warning, as long as it is accurate, reliable and it works for you. Those are some fine looking handguns you all have there.

Wheelgunners-and that is what really matters!:whiskey:

owlcreekok
June 26, 2009, 11:45
Nice snag, Temp.

I picked up a stainless Security Six seven or eight years ago on the cheap. It is one of my favorites, but the wife has latched onto it. No sweat there.

I have a few other wheelies that I am very partial to as well. None of which are late models.

Anyone need a 6" 686 Smith ? I got two and would like to trade myself into a 629 or a 29.

(long shot, but WTH)

Bukaluka
June 26, 2009, 21:23
We bought our stainless 2-3/4" Security Six, adjustable sights, Pachmeyers back in the late "70's right after we were married. My wife and daughters have all used it for thier CCW's and love it. Heavy as a brick but always goes bang.

Very accurate for a short barrel and my youngest daughter was complimented earlier this year by her CCW instructor as shooting the best groups with a revolver that he had seen. She does shoot very well! My wife's instructor had to score her a 90 because he couldn't find the 10th hole in a 2" group she shot back in 2000 with her first CCW class.

Been in the family for over 30 years and my wife still carries it with her every time she drives to Phoenix alone.

Richard in PV

yarro
July 01, 2009, 23:24
The Security Six that I had, had a great trigger. I shot it until it wore out. It took a lot more .357 mag rounds to wear out a Security Six then it took to turn my first S&W .357 to a rattling hunk. The newer GP, SP and Super Redhawks series don't smooth out as nice as the old Rugers.

-yarro

Slow
July 02, 2009, 07:25
Originally posted by owlcreekok
Nice snag, Temp.

Anyone need a 6" 686 Smith ? I got two and would like to trade myself into a 629 or a 29.

(long shot, but WTH)

look like you can keep the 686's

"Lucky Dog"

this is Owls Retirement watch.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2629976

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=2629977

owlcreekok
July 02, 2009, 21:51
I put fitty rounds plus another wheel full through it tanight before sundown. Got the rear sight dialed in and then proceeded to bust out a 6 inch raggedy perforation from fifty yards.

Damn but I love a wheelgun. 'Speshully one that really humps back at ya.

:love:

xcpd69
July 06, 2009, 21:16

The same kind that takes a 6 lb 223 carbine and turns it into a 42 lb erector set with every "tacticool" thing known to mall ninjas everywhere.

motosapien
July 19, 2009, 16:37
Originally posted by DYNOMIKE
NICE Find TEMP...

Hey BLUE MONSTER :beer:

The Trusty SPEED SIX is one of my FAVES...
Picked Her up for $150.00 about 20 years ago... :wink:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj295/DYNOMIKE_photos/P3160030.jpg

It's a snotty little fugger with a serious bark, but I LOVE every trigger pull.:shades:

This one has a couple Stamped letters on the side... ME S.P. 509

I guess MAIN STATE POLICE?

Those were the days...........police dept's. going auto. I had a nice model 65 stnls. 3" from that era, shouldn't have ever sold it.

DYNOMIKE
July 19, 2009, 20:28
Originally posted by motosapien

Those were the days...........police dept's. going auto. I had a nice model 65 stnls. 3" from that era, shouldn't have ever sold it.

Too bad you let that one go, sellers remorse sux..

Yea lots of great wheelguns up for sale back then no doubt..
Too bad we didn't buy more of them..

Oh well this one aint going anywhere I know that.. :wink:

Timber Wolf
August 02, 2009, 16:09
I got a very lightly used 4" stainless service six last year on Auction Arms for $245 plus shipping. Had the huge pac presentation grips on it and a inventory sticker that indicated ownership by the candian mounties. The sticker melted off during a spray down with rem oil and the pacs got ditched for some $10 gun-show ruger factory grips and a $20 evil-bay sourced silver tyler T-grip. She looks all business now and shoots as well as she looks! Feels good in the hand too. Just what I needed, another Ruger handgun in the safe!:D