PDA

View Full Version : Did I score on this 1944 M1 Garand

Warbirds Custom Guns
June 03, 2009, 20:49
I need to check everything but, here's what I got so far.
The complete barreled receiver assy. is all olive green color & most likely had been store in cosmoline awhile/

USGI SA receiver #2448xxx (1944). Right receiver leg marked B 2 3 or 8 2 3
Below that is D 28291 32
There's no rebuild marks of any kind.

USGI barrel 3-S-A-1-44 & chamber is in the white. Has P proof & punch mark.
T&E=4.6, MW=1.6

Op-rod marked D35382 9 SA & has the 3/16 notch (2nd revision ?)

Gas cylinder is in great shape near perfect condition.

Complete trigger group is black
Housing marked D28290-14-SA
Has milled guard & inside the bow is marked 0
Hammer marked 046008-4 SA
Trigger marked with # 48
Safety marked MXR

Elevation knob marked LUX
Windage knob is DRC

Follower arm is marked 2S1

Most likely I'll sell this rifle since I have a couple shooters already.

RG Coburn
June 04, 2009, 18:05
I think "score" is relative to what you paid for it.

Warbirds Custom Guns
June 05, 2009, 16:37
Lets just say I got it cheap.
Wondering what it could be worth since most of it is correct & I have a EMcF stock on it. :D

Charles Lipscomb
June 06, 2009, 02:17
an 'all correct'' M1 can go for 1,ooo bucks from cmp.. at a gun show more... i'd ask at jouster.com thee garand page, those guys are the experts....

2barearms
June 06, 2009, 06:50
Lately there seems to be a glut of 'rare' Garands in the racks. It does appear
that the really nice $600 garand is a thing of the past. The Throat's a little
long but otherwise I would think it should bring at least say $1,250.

cabinetman
June 08, 2009, 15:30
While we are always attracted to an "all correct" or "all matching" rifle in our collections, the M1 Garand and Carbine should be suspect when you find them 'all correct'. That's because there are virtually maybe a handful of truly "all correct" rifles that exist. I could almost say with certainty that ALL the rest have been all rearsenaled at one time or another and parts were swapped randomly. Today, however, with the glut of Garand and Carbine parts on the market, it's not very hard to find all the proper parts to, in fact, assemble a "correct" rifle with all parts matching as far as heat treat and arsenal numbers go.

In the case of the carbine, even off the line they may have had parts from other suppliers inserted from brand new. So, "all correct" rifles are very much the exception to the rule.

That being said, there's nothing stopping you from properly replacing a shot-out barrel with a correct one should you be able to find one or replacing a worn or damaged trigger group with the proper one.

That does not mean you don't have one of the few. It's just that without the provenance or solid history (like from someone who may have worked at the Springfield Armory) you probably just have one that someone spent some time on and "did" properly. Being correct will be attractive to a buyer but as the seller, I wouldn't be asking a lot extra for it above and beyond the current condition because you don't know if it's all original and not put-together over decades of previous owners. You know the old saying "buy the rifle, not the story".

In my own case, my barrel was shot out and had to be replaced. I shoot it competitively from time to time so I poked around and found one that was literally NOS and was correct for the 1943 year of the receiver. Great! It shoots like new and, while I'll never sell it, I would provide a new owner with all my receipts showing what repairs/replacements I performed. What he does with it is up to him.

Good luck with that. It certainly has more value than a beater from Greece or Denmark for sure.

Rome

Rotor
June 08, 2009, 16:46
Pics please Tim.

JR

Warbirds Custom Guns
June 08, 2009, 21:23
Originally posted by Rotor
Pics please Tim.

JR
Coming shortly as I took some pics a couple days ago.
This rifle may not be "all correct" as a few small parts may not be original.
Considering that the receiver, barrel, op-rod & sights have the green color, they're probably original.
The bolt is HRA

Warbirds Custom Guns
June 10, 2009, 15:26
Originally posted by Rotor
Pics please Tim.

JR

Here ya gooooo,.
I forgot to get the trigger group.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/Wabird/000_0005.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/Wabird/000_0007-1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/Wabird/000_0008.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/Wabird/000_0004.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/Wabird/000_0003.jpg

V guy
June 13, 2009, 11:24
Hobbies are for when you have a passion and are into something like Garands, and that looks like a good rifle to have in a Garand collection. Will not last long on gunbroker.

At one time in the late 80's I had a few correct garands. A 3/45,a 12/44, a 3/43, a 6/42 and a "D" and was working on getting a 1941. All appeared to be original and had great barrels. Finally, I got bored with them even though they did not eat much and I sold them off to collectors who really wanted them.

I only have two Garands now and limit myself to that which I can appreciate.

If only I could get myself to part with some old cars, now that would be a victory! Hobbies are just insanity on steroids.

I am now "trap" free for two months and will not allow myself to go trap shooting until July. I am now starting to get somethings done again.

Sell that Garand before you too become mired in the Garand hobby. Even one is potentially addicting and must be disposed of immediately.