PDA

View Full Version : Garand After Market Receiver

MacRob
June 03, 2009, 19:37
I have an M-1 Garand with an after market receiver. I bought it years ago, put it in the gun cabinet, then loaned it to a friend who kept it for 12 years or so - we are good friends and I have a spare M-1 any way. Now he has decided to retire from shooting and wants to give it back. I have not seen it in so long I have forgotten the brand of receiver installed on the rifle. When I get it back I plan to sell it, as I don' t really need two of the things. Understanding that I cannot quote the brand name of the receiver just now, does anyone have a clue about what these things are bringing? Overall condition should be NRA good, it was when I loaned it out, and my friend is an ex-marine who knows how to clean a rifle. I realize this is a very general question and there is little to go on, but any ideas would be appreciated. I should have the gun back in about two weeks so I can quote the receiver brand name at that time.

Blackmore
June 04, 2009, 06:19
Don't know which off brand receiver you have, but a Garand with a Century marked receiver just sold on another board for $450. Now before anyone jumps on "Century", they are actually investment castings from Pinetree Castings (Ruger) and the two I have seen have looked very nice and the owners say they run fine. On the left side of the receiver there will be, hidden by the wood, a circle with a triangle on a stem inside it. That the mark indicating Pinetree.

Nepag
June 04, 2009, 06:36
Just to point out the obvious, through CMP you can get Garands with original US military receivers as well as ones with all original mil spec parts. Although some of their guns have "after market" replacement parts.

If you have the opportunity to personally select the gun you want in person, you can get all original, and correct, metal and wood with a little luck and time. These guns start at $495.

I can't stress how valuable it is to be able to look through racks of Garands with muzzle and throat gauges, and be able to pick out a gun you can take with you that day versus ordering by mail and getting what is selected for you 90+ days later.

bykerhd
June 04, 2009, 09:37
You need to check the rifle before getting in to value.
There have been a couple aftermarket M-1 Garand receivers and there have been re-welded original receivers. Widely different as far as value.
The parts used to build the rifle may, or may not, be as valuable as the assembled rifle.
Find out what you have and go from there.

MacRob
June 04, 2009, 12:15
Originally posted by bykerhd
You need to check the rifle before getting in to value.
There have been a couple aftermarket M-1 Garand receivers and there have been re-welded original receivers. Widely different as far as value.
The parts used to build the rifle may, or may not, be as valuable as the assembled rifle.
Find out what you have and go from there.

Thanks...

As I recall, this one was not a re-weld, but I just cannot remember the brand. I did not set out to buy a re-weld so I am pretty sure it is an after market receiver. It has been so long out of my hands until I have forgotten everything I knew about it. I think I paid around $400 when I bought it. About two years before this one, I bought a Korean returned rifle with a new mil-spec barrel, mostly new parts and good wood for less than $300. Any way, I will know in two weeks.

onebigelf
June 05, 2009, 08:53
Drop me an email when you find out what it is and what you want for it. I'm wanting to build up a M1. New Criterion .308 barrel, synthetic stock, new parts. I don't want to butcher a history piece making a shooter in .308 so this may be just what I'm looking for.

John

MacRob
June 21, 2009, 16:08
It turns out that it is a CAI receiver. Still in very good conditon with a rough upper rear handguard but otherwise OK. Any ideas? I may keep it.

Mebsuta
June 21, 2009, 16:41
If it runs and shoots, keep. Most likely Garand kit assembled on Pinetree receiver by Century. Have U tried to find a Garand kit or priced Garand parts lately? Keep.

doubletap
June 21, 2009, 19:51
Go over to the Fulton Armory web site and read about inspecting an aftermarket receiver for safety issues. Just because the gun "runs fine" doesn't mean it is running safely. I've actually seen a couple of the Century cast clones that passed the basic safety test, but about 15 in 20 or more won't. With luck you'll have one of the "good" ones.

MacRob
June 21, 2009, 21:03
Originally posted by doubletap
Go over to the Fulton Armory web site and read about inspecting an aftermarket receiver for safety issues. Just because the gun "runs fine" doesn't mean it is running safely. I've actually seen a couple of the Century cast clones that passed the basic safety test, but about 15 in 20 or more won't. With luck you'll have one of the "good" ones.

It has been running fine for over 12 years so I suspect that it is OK. However, I will take a look at the site.

MacRob
June 21, 2009, 21:34
I looked. The riflle I have has a much later serial # than the example they show on their site. I have not looked for the Pinetree markings but did find an anchor on the receiver. The receiver, while it is far rougher than the receiver on my other M-1 (Springfield) seems to be in good shape. The breech likewise seems to be OK upon visual inspection but the stud on the bottom is ground off without being finished where the one on my Springfield is much neater and parked. However, as I said earlier, this gun has run without mishap for about twelve years. I am not sure how many rounds during that time but will find out.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
June 25, 2009, 20:00
That would be a good candidate for a B A R mag conversion.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
June 25, 2009, 20:01
Originally posted by onebigelf
Drop me an email when you find out what it is and what you want for it. I'm wanting to build up a M1. New Criterion .308 barrel, synthetic stock, new parts. I don't want to butcher a history piece making a shooter in .308 so this may be just what I'm looking for.

John

Changing from 30-06 to 308 is just a barrel swap. How are you going to "butcher" a history piece by swapping out the barrel?

Hebrew Battle Rifle
June 25, 2009, 20:02
Originally posted by Nepag
Just to point out the obvious, through CMP you can get Garands with original US military receivers as well as ones with all original mil spec parts. Although some of their guns have "after market" replacement parts.

If you have the opportunity to personally select the gun you want in person, you can get all original, and correct, metal and wood with a little luck and time. These guns start at $495.

I can't stress how valuable it is to be able to look through racks of Garands with muzzle and throat gauges, and be able to pick out a gun you can take with you that day versus ordering by mail and getting what is selected for you 90+ days later.

You didn't actually read the OP did you?

MacRob
August 31, 2009, 06:48
I sold the rifle this weekend at a gun show for $360 and was satisfied with what I got. Everyone who looked at it commented on the fact that it did not have GI receiver but two guys definitely wanted it and one offered enough for me to let it go.

I must say that the gun show this weekend (Greensboro, NC) was the most sparsely attended in the years I have gone. In February you could hardly get through the door at 9 AM. Saturday we strolled right in. The economy for sure, but I also think the Obama effect is waning. There were lots and lots of ARs, AKs and other military pieces for sale. There were also a lot more individuals - including me - trying to sell guns.

fry
August 31, 2009, 07:10
Originally posted by MacRob
but two guys definitely wanted it and one offered enough for me to let it go.

did it have a wra barrel and op rod.:D

MacRob
September 02, 2009, 19:16
I don't even remember. Could have.