PDA

View Full Version : 1917 enfield

Bprewit
May 30, 2009, 21:56
I got a freebie yesterday that is missing the stock, trigger guard, and box magazine. I found all the parts I need except for the box mag and everyone seems to be out of stock on that part. Its a remington mfg. and barrel date is stamped 10-18 and all parts are stamped "R" so assuming its all original. There is a small amount of rust and pitting on the bolt handle but it retains about 80% original finish on all metal parts and the bore is still nice and shiney. I have never owned or shot one of these old guns but am pretty happy with this one especiall for the FREE price! Anyone have any experience with these old rifles? Any leads on a box magazine for it?

bykerhd
May 30, 2009, 22:03
Try these guys
Springfield Sporters (http://www.ssporters.com/parts/1917and%20P14enfield.htm)
If no luck, try Numrich or SARCO. Lots of other places around if you do a bit of searching.

molotov
May 30, 2009, 22:12
I have never owned or shot one of these old guns but am pretty happy with this one especiall for the FREE price! Anyone have any experience with these old rifles? Any leads on a box magazine for it?

Probably the most rugged military bolt rifle action ever turned out. Build whatever you like on it, they can take it, all the way to .458 win mag.

I think Sarco has the box magazines. Dayton-Traister makes a nice speedlock setup that changes it to a cock on opening system and cuts down lock time for better accuracy.

http://www.daytraco.com/

About $70 bucks. Includes trigger.

Can't beat the price you got, lucky dwog.:)

FAL GRUNT
May 31, 2009, 13:48
What part are you missing, the actual magazine box, trigger guard, or floorplate?

They are great rifles, one of the best. I wouldn't suggest buying parts from Numrich, I just got some 1917 parts in that I returned, they were all pitted.

What else would you like to know?

Free is great!

-myers

John Crusher
June 01, 2009, 21:35
Sweet man! I have all three and they are a joy to shoot and are definitely keepers. Springfield Sporters should have what you need.

brownknees
June 02, 2009, 11:33
Anyone have any experience with these old rifles?
Do a bit of a search on "excessive headspace" on P-14 & P-17's.
There's a whole thing going on with them where the headsapace checks as excessivewith a "field gage", but really isn't.
It's something to do with the way the bolt locks shut, and the safety catch engaging.

They were the preferred actions for match shooting for years in the UK, so they can't be bad at all.

Ron Walker
June 02, 2009, 12:26
I once built a 416 Remington Magnum on a Remington 1917. Bull-strong and very accurate. I have a triggerguard that has been altered to remove the dogleg tang and reduces mag capacity by one. I also have a receiver ring that holds the upper handguard in place if you decide to go original with it. PM me if I can help. Ron

FAL GRUNT
June 02, 2009, 20:09
The problem with checking headspace on a 1917 is how the bolt lays against the receiver. It is a VERY minute difference between GO and NOGO. Make sure to take the stock off to check headspace, you CANNOT and SHOULD NOT try to check with the stock on.

Don't forget to strip the bolt.

-myers

Bprewit
June 03, 2009, 10:55
Well i managed to get most everything I needed from Springfield Sporters and thanks for the help and info! As for a stock im unsure what to go with. Boyds makes a walnut repro stock but also found a bell and carlson synthetic stock that is cheaper. I like the boyd's stock but would be missing the recoil lug that fits in the stock and have no idea where to find one.

bykerhd
June 03, 2009, 18:47
Original stocks use to turn up on E-Bay all the time.
Probably GunBroker too.
You might want to watch those.
Last I watched, a decent complete stock would bring a couple hundred dollars.

Remington stocks are marked with an R at the front tip of the forend.
Eddystone an E and Winchester with a W.
Watch out for 1914 stocks that may be passed off as 1917 stocks.
New old stock top handguards can usually be found pretty cheap.