PDA

View Full Version : My new R700 SPS

James
May 20, 2009, 21:33
Here is a picture of my new Remington 700 SPS in 308 with 20"barrel. This is my first bolt action "tactical" rifle. I had a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 scope so I mounted it with Burris XTR low rings and EGW 15moa base.

First time and only time out I put 30-40 rounds through it. I had it bore sighted pretty good so it only took a few shots to get it on target. After that I started trying to get some good groups. Trigger pull is somewhere between 4.5 and 5.5 pounds which was a little heavy in my opinion. My trigger gage only goes to 72oz and breaks a little past that. It needs a little trigger work to get it down to maybe 2.5 to 3 pounds. It does break clean with no mushy feeling.

I only have $860 dollars in the whole rig. $600 for the gun, $50 for the rings, $40 for the base, and $170 for the scope.

The only 308 ammo I had was surplus Portuguese but as you will see it didn't need anything else to get it under 1" groups. With a trigger job I think it will shoot .75 or less with the Port ammo. With some match grade ammo there is no telling what type of group it will give.

I think for the money this is one of the best off the shelf guns you can get. I hear the Savage is a great rifle and I thought about getting one of them but I hadn't seen any at the shows for sometime. A week after I purchased this one I did see one at the next show for only $495. It looked about like the 700 but maybe the barrel was a little bigger in OD.

James

James
May 20, 2009, 21:44
Here are some pictures of my best groups. Pic #1 is my best group with all of them in one area. Pic #2 had 4 good ones with a flyer that screwed it. Pic #3 was a wierd one. Had 2 shots in one hole and the about an inch below it 2 more shots in the same hole.

Picture #1 was my last group, then #2 was before it. The groups before these were a little bigger but as I got use to the trigger I was able to start getting the better groups.

James

kotengu
May 21, 2009, 07:59
Very nice! I just ordered 700P heavy barrel for my $300 pawn shop .308 and I'm hoping it will do as well -

Rambozo
May 21, 2009, 20:51
Very nice. I like the shorter barrel.

I have a Savage10 tactical model with a 24" barrel. The acutrigger is very nice. I don't have enough trigger time behind the rifle to comment further.

I just put a Mueller 4-16x "Tactical" scope on it, and am hoping to spend a lot more time with the rifle. I plan on using the rifle for F class.

James
May 21, 2009, 22:20
Originally posted by Rambozo
Very nice. I like the shorter barrel.

I have a Savage10 tactical model with a 24" barrel. The acutrigger is very nice. I don't have enough trigger time behind the rifle to comment further.

I just put a Mueller 4-16x "Tactical" scope on it, and am hoping to spend a lot more time with the rifle. I plan on using the rifle for F class.

The acutrigger is one of the reason I was thinking about the Savage. If there would have been one at the show I might have picked it over the 700.

Yeah I know what you mean on the tigger time. I need more time behind a scoped rifle myself. Shot thousands of rounds with open sights but hardly any with a scope. Shooting with this gun I noticed right off if you pulled just a little wrong on the trigger it would throw your groups off.

James

FHL1A1NY
May 28, 2009, 18:42
Been a while since I have posted, very nice Remington 700. I just picked up a Remington 700 SS 5R Mil-Spec. in .308. Like very much, very accurate. Shot best group so far with it a 100 yds, measure .484" five rounds. Would like to get into F class eventually, but work will not allow that time, anyway, try handloading for yours, I use Varget when available at 43.5 grs behind a 168gr Sierra HPBT. Best group was shot with that load. Also, have had similar results with IMR 4895 and 4064, biggest thing is keep it seated way out around .015" max off lands.

onebigelf
July 03, 2009, 21:31
Bud's Gun shop?

John

Falcon
July 04, 2009, 09:41
gw11,

Can't say I've had the "pleasure" to deal with the service department at Remington but one of our members works there. You might ask him for the inside scoop, so to speak.His name's Adirondack1 (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=6363) and he's a good guy to deal with . Bought a R&D 700 LTR/PSS from him a few years ago and am very pleased.

dirtyrice
July 05, 2009, 03:32
I'm pretty sure I saw him run a few rounds of 150 or 158 grain Winchester through it.

LtRiker
July 26, 2009, 13:41
I have a 5R with some mods

Timney #512
badger bolt knob with three screw bolt handle reinforcement
nightforce 20moa base
tubb speedlock firing pin
aics 1.5 stock
millett lrs1 6-25x56 on seekins 35mm rings

use 46.2gr RE15 with 155scenars for .2" 5 shot groups at 150yds.

ftierson
July 26, 2009, 13:53
Nice rig, James.

It looks to be a shooter...

Another 'best buy' out there is the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic series...

A lot of gun for the money...

I have a close friend who just picked up one of the Remington 700 SPS Varmint rifles in .223 Rem. (with the 26 inch barrel). It's a nice looking rig. However, I was disappointed to see that it was twisted about 1/8, not the 1/12 that most of the comments that I had read online had suggested.

He's going to work with it and see what it'll do with 52-55 grain bullets. Personally, I'd get rid of it and look for a 1/12 for a rifle sold as a 'varmint' gun...

Forrest

Toten Kopf
July 26, 2009, 18:11
The 1 in 8 twist (if that's what he got) is far better than the 1 in 12. You can use from a 52 gain bullet all the way up to the 80 grain SMK's.

The 1 in 12 is really limited (in comparison) in the bullets you can use.

ftierson
July 26, 2009, 20:08
Originally posted by Toten Kopf
The 1 in 8 twist (if that's what he got) is far better than the 1 in 12. You can use from a 52 gain bullet all the way up to the 80 grain SMK's.

The 1 in 12 is really limited (in comparison) in the bullets you can use.

Whatever...:)

But I want a 1/12 for a varmint gun...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

ftierson
July 27, 2009, 00:22
Originally posted by ftierson
Whatever...:)

But I want a 1/12 for a varmint gun...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

To be fair, I should probably mention that I only shoot 55 grain bullets...

Forrest

splattermatic
July 28, 2009, 19:54
anything faster forest won't hurt a 55 grainer.

just spins it faster and makes for more dramatic explosions !!

i have a 1 in 8 twist and it favors 55 and 60 grain v max's.

ftierson
July 29, 2009, 00:07
Originally posted by splattermatic
anything faster forest won't hurt a 55 grainer.

just spins it faster and makes for more dramatic explosions !!

i have a 1 in 8 twist and it favors 55 and 60 grain v max's.

I don't like to spin them any faster than I have to...

It makes me dizzy just thinking about them spinning so fast.

So I'll stick with 1/12.

But maybe that's just me...

:)

Forrest

DK
January 15, 2010, 09:02
James,
Any new info/driving impressions on your 700SPS Tactical? I'm looking for one of these now and it seems all the wholesaler's are out for the time being. Definitely a "sought after" rifle.

DK

chromestarhustler
January 15, 2010, 13:45
yeah i am thinking savage for my next one to, floating bolt head, accutrigger, bedded stock all standard.

James
January 16, 2010, 14:46
Originally posted by DK
James,
Any new info/driving impressions on your 700SPS Tactical? I'm looking for one of these now and it seems all the wholesaler's are out for the time being. Definitely a "sought after" rifle.

DK

DK

The only other time I took the rifle out was back in July. I hung a 6" steel plate at 400yds for a target. I have the BDC scope so I put the 400yd circle on the plate and fired. I hit it the first time and the next 2 or 3 times. I guess it would be more impressive if it was only a 2" target I was hitting but for the money I have invested and the surplus ammo I was using I think that's pretty good. I do think that it will do a little betting with some tuning on the trigger.

I know there are many other guns that could shoot rings around this one but I don't want to put thousands of dollars into one of them. Got other guns and ammo to buy first.

If someone is looking for a gun for the 4-500yd range or a liitle more and they don't want to break the bank then I think this would be a good one to buy.

James

Jez Cruzen
February 14, 2010, 14:06
I also have a Rem. SPS in .308. I mounted a Super Sniper 10X scope on it. I didn't like the Hogue overmold stock so I replaced it with a Bell & Carlson 'Light tactical" and it feels and shoots great.