PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding between STG-556 or AUG A3

sturmgrenadiere
May 10, 2009, 14:44
I have the bug to pick up an AUG or STG-556 as my last rifle buy before I head overseas.

Will the current run of STG-556's take AUG mags (ones that come in the cardboard box with a 10 round mag), I know there has been a change in the design or something to do with a forward assist being dropped.

Will either take AR mags?

If price were no issue, why should I buy one over the other? I would purchase the STG with the optic.

I have no brand loyalty with these.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ben

ICE1210
May 10, 2009, 15:07
IIRC Certain models of both rifles will accept AR Mags.

If price is no object, go origional AUG, If for no other reason than re-sale value.

I also would keep the origional optical sight, it never runs out of batteries and you don't have to remember to turn it on before shooting.

olgier
May 10, 2009, 15:22
mine is newer with no foreward assist. it will take aug mags and supposedly aug hammer groups. the ones that take msar/aug mags will not take AR mags.

i don't care for the aug optic sight......... i bought one with just the rail. the eotech kicks azz on it.

if the aug is a few hundred more than msar, i'd buy the msar and spend the other $$$ on mags/ optics.

Squint
May 10, 2009, 16:05
If the new "Steyr AUG" made in Tennessee was an A1 instead of the A3 and around $1800 I would buy it but since it isn't I am glad I got an STG-556 for $1700. (many are on gunbroker for around $1550) I believe that everything olgier posted is correct about the current MSAR rifle. I have an older version with the forward assist and love it. I have about 400 rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind. The trigger has smoothed out and it is the most accurate 5.56 rifle I have owned.

lawdog
May 11, 2009, 10:53
At present both currently produced rifles will take the AUG mags. Only MSAR's will take both MSAR and AUG mags. The previous production version of the MSAR that will only accept MSAR mags is the one with the forward assist (now discontinued).

At present neither will accept AR mags, although both are reported to be working on making versions of the stocks that will accept AR mags. MSAR's version was supposed to have been available in April. I believe that no-one has actually seen that occur. Price point for replacement stock was supposed to be $249.00

Steyr/SabreDefenceInc hasn't said officially (to my knowledge) the date when their stock that will accept AR mags will be available.

sturmgrenadiere
May 11, 2009, 15:59
Thanks all for the info

Any benefit using MSAR mags vs. Aug mags in the STG. Or is it just price and availability?

olgier
May 11, 2009, 18:02
don't know if it makes a diff. i only have about 1,000 rds through the msar so far using 30 and 42 rd msar mags. no hiccups at all.

lawdog
May 11, 2009, 22:38
Only complaint I have seen is some problems with MSAR 20 round mags. There were some that didn't get done right. MSAR took care of folks with the issue and there appear to be no other problems. So, in my book, it comes down to price and availability.

1811GNR
May 12, 2009, 09:30
Have seen one Steyr A3 as low as $2189 or so on GB recently.
Evidently the stanag AUG stock will work on the new A3 with a few mods if you want to use AR mags.

MSAR is making AR mags now and working on the AR mag version of the STG556. There is also the TPD AXR (http://www.tpdusa.com/) that uses AR mags.

Thorack
May 12, 2009, 10:18
Ben,

I dont know what the Faux AUG has for optics. My AUG has the Swarovski 1.5x Donut o'Death. Its neat but thats it, I would replace it with an ACOG ASAP. A 1970's era scope is no match for a 1990 era ACOG.

Just my two bits

Thorack

indy_Muaddib
May 12, 2009, 13:14
i like the optical sight on my MSAR, its quick to aquire and requires no power.

it takes both MSAR and AUG mags

it also takes AUG barrels, got a 24" HBAR on order.

sturmgrenadiere
May 18, 2009, 17:56
Well, contrary to my usual spending habits, the bottom line dollar amount lead me to the STG-556, 11 AUG mags, and 8 MSAR mags, and although I haven't shot it yet, I love it.

RATWORX was good to deal with and gave me military pricing which was $300 less than if I had bought it at the Exchange here on base.

If this thing will accept real AUG barrels, that is awesome...

Regards

Ben

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc177/bwg71/STG-556.jpg

FALCarbine
May 20, 2009, 12:56
+1 on the AUG A1 over the A3.

I went with the MSAR over the Aug A3. First off, the humpback on the A3 is plain ugly. At least the MSAR's rail keeps with the rifle's angles. I got a great deal on mine, too...$1450 shipped. Deals are out there. Plus I got the black 42rd mags for $35 each. A Sig 550 owner told me (when it comes to polymer mags) the clear ones aren't as durable as the opaque ones, so (as much as I like the look of the originals) I went with black.

The Gen 4 (current) MSAR is the way to go. Takes MSAR and AUG mags. The newer (to be released) E4 model takes the AR mags, but it has a textured surface at "key areas"... and looks like ass.

I will eventually get the AR-compatable stock because I have a ton of AR mags.

Since Steyr won't make it with the optic (because only us few uncool people want them, compared to the cool majority who want their gun covered with Rambo-knife saw teeth), your best bet is the MSAR. You can always switch it out later.

762-4-U
May 30, 2009, 21:24
Sturm,

good choice on the MSAR. they really back what they sell. I love my MSAR. Just wait to see how accurate it is.....

check out numerich for the stripper clips for the aug mags