PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever swap Rem 700 barrels?

kotengu
May 08, 2009, 16:39
I found a good deal on a take-off heavy barrel in .308 for a Remington 700. What are the chances that it'll headspace in spec if I swap it onto my stock Rem 700 in .308? I figure it should be pretty close if it was reamed to headspace on the same type receiver, but don't know how much play in manufacturing tolerances I'm working with here. Is there a great variance in recoil lug thicknesses, for example?

For the price I just may try it, and send it to a 'smith for "real" barreling if a simple unscrew/rescrew doesn't work.

JR in the NW
May 08, 2009, 22:06
It will most likely headspace but the markings on it will end up who knows where.

tac-40
May 09, 2009, 08:48
I would send it off to a smith, since remington accuracy can be improved by trueing the receiver, lug and barrel. You might get by with just a screw on job, but since you already will have it apart, I would go the additional steps. While this is being done, the headspace can be easily adjusted to whatever spec you want.

FAL GRUNT
May 09, 2009, 12:24
Chances are slim but it has happened.

I would agree with tac-40. Have the barrel pulled, lugs lapped, receiver face trued, and the barrel set back to the correct headspace.

-myers

Clark
May 28, 2009, 22:00
I took a shot out 22-250 barrel off my old BDL and put on an unfired take off 243 barrel.

I have a 243 reamer and headspace gauge, but everything was fine, the open sights were on the bottom.

I took the sights off and used a scope.

0.57" 3 shot group at 50 yards 65 gr
1.00" 3 shot group at 50 yards 65 gr
2.55" 3 shot group at 100 yards 65 gr .

Total failure, so I took the barrel back off.

JR in the NW
May 28, 2009, 23:46
See my post above.

kotengu
August 23, 2009, 14:44
Follow-up for anyone else thinking about this - it headspaced just fine (actually on the tight end of the range). As mentioned and expected the stamping on the barrel was not in the "correct" place, but it ended up pointing down and is hidden by the stock so it doesn't bother me a bit!