PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Clip Problem

ProGunOne
May 07, 2009, 22:52
A good freind of mine has aquired an Springfield M1 Garand. He's telling me it won't hold a loaded clip in place. Any suggestions on what to look for or where to look? I know very little about them. Thanks, Paul.

Super B
May 08, 2009, 03:54
Make sure he is using a USGI clip. It should be smooth and gray parked. China made some black clips that had a texture like sandpaper and will not function in my Garand

ProGunOne
May 08, 2009, 10:24
Ok buddy. Thank you.

Survey Punk
May 08, 2009, 10:45
Worn clip latch or weak or broken clip latch spring. When you insert a loaded clip you should see the latch engage by watching the release button on the left side of the receiver.

http://www.garandflash.com/feeding.html

JB

ProGunOne
May 08, 2009, 12:01
Originally posted by Survey Punk Worn clip latch or weak or broken clip latch spring. When you insert a loaded clip you should see the latch engage by watching the release button on the left side of the receiver. http://www.garandflash.com/feeding.html JB

Thank you. I couldn't get link to work though?

Survey Punk
May 08, 2009, 13:47
Do a search for garandflash. Should be right on top.
A good book to have is Julian Hatcher "The Book of the Garand".

JB

Charles Lipscomb
May 09, 2009, 04:01
gotta agree, try another clip... if not that it's the clip latch, or clip latch spring... very easy to replace....

(trying to run yp my posst count) heh heh heh...........

but seriously, i love thhe Garand, i have 3,. and know lots abot what makes them run...
you can also get help over at thhe culver shooting page @ www.jouster.com
they have redone the site in conjunction with another...

StoneyCreekMrMauser
May 09, 2009, 12:51
Originally posted by Survey Punk
Worn clip latch or weak or broken clip latch spring. When you insert a loaded clip you should see the latch engage by watching the release button on the left side of the receiver.

http://www.garandflash.com/feeding.html

JB

+1. Mine has the same problem occasionally. The Army never did fix the problem with the springs weakening with use, so they just put more powerful springs in there instead. Fulton Armory has a heavy duty spring just for that purpose. I think they're about $5 each but if it keeps the rifle going what's $5?

ProGunOne
May 16, 2009, 00:13
Well, I took it to my FFL/Gunsmith and he looked it over. It was very dry so he field stripped it and greased it. Put a USGI clip in loaded up with dummy 06 rounds and cycled it out several times. It seemed to work fine. I told my buddy to p/u or try some different clips and seperate the good from bad. Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Paul.

Super B
May 16, 2009, 07:18
Always nice to hear that another Garand is up and running.....

SubGunFan
May 22, 2009, 20:49
Hello all:

My problem is similiar to ProGunOne's....... A few months ago I bought an M1 Tanker Garand (30-06), and it wants to eject the whole clip after 1 to 3 rounds.

I am not new to Garands, but no expert either.... I got my first Garand in 1981 for $121 though DCM (now CMP). The 2nd Garand came in 1983 after I got my wife to shoot a match to qualify. That Garand was $135 I think..... My Garand looked brand new (now a Safe Queen) and the "wife's" was "used", but in great shape (it is the shooter).

Sorry for the tangent.... Back to the subject. Like you guys have stated here, I have been told to check the "clip catch" and "clip catch spring". But have yet to take the time to tear down both the Tanker and one of my standard Garands. When I do, what should I look for........??? I know Tanker Garands are known to have "problems" because they were modified from standard Garands. I think my op-rod rubs on the barrel too much, but I have greased that area. My Tanker will send brass flying, but does leave extractor marks on the brass. Too much for my liking......... Any suggestions on that? I have had to trash some 30-06 brass because the extractor marks were too deep.

Thanks in advance for your input, advise, and/or "try this" ideas.....

Dan

LVMPDawg
May 22, 2009, 21:09
SGF: You can see the clip latch from the outside, on the left side of the receiver. It's the lever you push to eject the clip and unfired rounds. On page 50 of Scott Duff's "The M1 Garand: Owner's Guide" (required reading!) it shows how to replace the assembly by punching out the pin.

For your violent ejection problem, I'd look at getting a Schuster nut, since it sounds like you're getting a lot of pressure in that short gun; could be too large a port, since it's position is closer than a full length rifle.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/gasnuts.cfm

doubletap
May 22, 2009, 23:20
You kind of need to define "ejector damage" too. Is your Tanker damaging the cases at the rim where the extractor grabs it or is it denting cases on the side just above the solid head of the case? Garands often kick the brass off to the side and forward with the op rod which hits the brass on the return to battery. Not something that is wrong with the rifle,I believe Hatcher mentions it as a design feature also.
If the case rim is being torn you'll need to do as suggested, get an adjustable gas plug so you can cut down the amount of gas being bled to the op rod.
If the op rod is dragging really hard on the barrel it needs to be bent correctly. Lube the rifle up, strip it out of the barrel and remove the follower rod and spring and tilt the rifle to about 30 degrees. The op rod should slickly slid and open the bolt, then when tilted back, close the bolt up. If it's not, you have unwanted contact somewhere. Check for op rod interference.

Survey Punk
May 23, 2009, 08:16
Also make sure your chamber is clean and not rusty or pitted.
As far as the clip jumping, Hatcher says it may be a bent follower rod. Switch one out from another rifle and see if it helps.

JB

1MOR
May 25, 2009, 20:28
I have a tanker that was demonstrating premature clip ejection. I replaced the internals with NOS USGI parts which reduced the occurence of this problem. I then replaced the clip latch pin with a NOS part and replaced the clip latch spring with a Fulton Armory HD spring. No more problems!

tac-40
May 26, 2009, 21:15
Second the Fulton Armory extra strength clip latch spring. My problem was with the clips that came with the Greek ammo from CMP. The spring took care of the problem.

As for the tankers, I have used the adjustable gas plug sold by Brownell's to solve the violent op rod action becasue some of the gas ports were not drilled to the correct size.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=20456&title=ADJUSTABLE%20GAS%20SYSTEM

SubGunFan
May 29, 2009, 17:17
Sorry for not replying to all your great post sooner.............

I talked to a local "Garand Doctor" and he told me about the Schuster Plug. I have a 4-port model coming from Midway USA.

If the adjustable gas plug doesn't solve the problems, then I will buy new clip catch parts.

Thanks again for all your help.