PDA

View Full Version : Century receiver casting flaw

atrav
May 07, 2009, 21:08
Last week I mail ordered a Century L1A1 receiver, and when I received it I found a big casting flaw at the gas tube threads. A few pictures below, hopefully not too bandwidth intensive.

In my opinion I think it should've been rejected as cast, not even bother with the machining and parkerizing. Or am I just being retentive?
Yea I know I could fix it, but for the $400+ I paid I think it should be ready to go out of the box. I can TIG weld, so I suppose I could've welded up the flaw and re-threaded (and made the proper 10* angle for the rear catch too), but I worry about keeping it concentric to the piston hole, plus heat treat issues.

I think it's already starting to crack at the front, and IMO it would crack completely if you chased the threads, or at best once a few rounds went through. It looks like there's a crack starting at the front and heading towards the bottom hole, but I didn't clean off the parkerizing or use die penetrant. With my calipers I measured the thin part of the flaw (that goes all the way front to back) it measured 0.028" thick, but my calipers don't fit well so I think it's thinner, compared to the other side at 0.10" thick.

So, I guess I'll send it back. It burns me that I tried to save a buck (and it was actually in stock), rather than wait two months for a better one. Now I'll have more money and time spent than if I had gotten a DSA. :o(
Let me know your opinions. This is my first FAL build, but I'm no stranger to mechanical work or smithing.
Are there any issues about posting the serial number here? I kind of want to just in case this gets back to someone else...

Here's my picture explanations-->
Red arrow points to the hole that goes all the way through
Yellow arrow points to the hole that probably goes through, but is blocked by what looks to be casting sand
Green arrow points to where the crack is (plus you can see the one hole right at the edge of the good threads)
Orange arrow points to what I think is casting sand. Interesting that it would last through the machining and parkerizing, but it is firmly in there.

http://www.mayhemr.us/flaw1.jpg
http://www.mayhemr.us/flaw2.jpg
http://www.mayhemr.us/flaw3.jpg
http://www.mayhemr.us/flaw4.jpg
http://www.mayhemr.us/flaw5.jpg
http://www.mayhemr.us/flaw6.jpg

vmtz
May 07, 2009, 21:14
Yep, send her back.

Fr. Vince

thunderstickcollector
May 07, 2009, 21:38
WOW. it's hard to believe even Century let that one through quality control....they do have a quality control dept. don't they?:uhoh:

JohnnyReb
May 07, 2009, 22:03
No way, send it back. That things gona kerplode!

Court in Fl
May 07, 2009, 22:05
Send that one back and buy a DSA inch.
Check the Market Place section.

Court in FL.

crsswift70
May 07, 2009, 22:22
Holy cow.. you GUESS you'll send it back? I would have raised cane as soon as it came out of the box!

garyd1961
May 08, 2009, 18:38
Thanks for posting, since DCI are no longer making type 1's I had considered buying a century. I must be getting desperate thanks for bringing me back to reality. DCI sent me a email and said they have type 3's in the prototype stage and they should be out in June. thanks garyd1961

BUFF
May 08, 2009, 18:42
Originally posted by thunderstickcollector:

"it's hard to believe even Century let that one through quality control....they do have a quality control dept. don't they?"

They have a huge quality control department. They are called their "retail customers."

James
May 08, 2009, 21:43
Yep, I also say send it back.

James

brownknees
May 08, 2009, 21:57
They are called their "Beta version testers." :biggrin:

CTW
May 08, 2009, 22:25
Man that sucks. I would be ultra pissed after paying 400 bucks for that!

indy_Muaddib
May 09, 2009, 01:55
send them the pic and demand a new one.

when the new one shows up and has no issues send the old one back

Ron Walker
May 09, 2009, 11:57
Gad, what a piece of junk!! Send it back so fast it would be reheattreated by the air friction!! It MIGHT be salvaged by tig welding and reheattreat, but that's not your job, it's theirs (and that's probably what they'll do!!). Reminds me of a G3 receiver they sold as a finished part that had no welding nor pin tubes in place. Ron

Radio
May 09, 2009, 12:46
Your standard $189 Sent-Choo-Ree at a $400 price.

Send it back and ask for one of their standard $250 receivers at the $400 price.

--Radio

elbo
May 09, 2009, 16:34
what's this?

English Mike
May 09, 2009, 18:51
Nasty! :uhoh:

Send it back & insist they cover all your expenses.

I'm not saying this coz I'm biased - I shoot two Century receivered rifelz quite happily but THAT is a paperweight.

Ron Walker
May 09, 2009, 19:11
what's this?

Elbo,I believe Led Zeppelin labeled that "A Stairway To Heaven" Ron

atrav
May 09, 2009, 19:44
Originally posted by elbo
what's this?

Rear catch, odd to me that it has a step. Even though it looks like it has a bit of an angle in the pic, it's flat, so IMO wouldn't engage the catch properly.

nwobhm
May 09, 2009, 19:47
atrav, Who sold you the receiver? Century or someone else?

elbo
May 09, 2009, 19:48
Originally posted by Ron Walker

Elbo,I believe Led Zeppelin labeled that "A Stairway To Heaven" Ron
I don't think heaven is quite the right word.

atrav
May 09, 2009, 19:52
Originally posted by CTW
Man that sucks. I would be ultra pissed after paying 400 bucks for that!

FWIW I paid $350, then add the shipping plus the FFL transfer fees, and it's over $400 bucks!

IMO all part of the current gun frenzy madness as quality rockets into the dirt. What also gets me is the one local dealer that had cheap $10-$20 transfer fees (depending on mood I guess) has now jacked up their transfer price to $55. Now all FFL's in my area are $44 at the cheapest, and most are shooting past $50 at a quick rate.

Gripe gripe grumble. :)

Matt(formerly@)EntrepriseArms
May 10, 2009, 22:39
Originally posted by atrav

FWIW I paid $350, then add the shipping plus the FFL transfer fees, and it's over $400 bucks!

IMO all part of the current gun frenzy madness as quality rockets into the dirt. What also gets me is the one local dealer that had cheap $10-$20 transfer fees (depending on mood I guess) has now jacked up their transfer price to $55. Now all FFL's in my area are $44 at the cheapest, and most are shooting past $50 at a quick rate.

Gripe gripe grumble. :)

Thats nothing. A well known chain firearms and fishing supply retailer charges over $100.00 out here in California.

Abominog
May 10, 2009, 22:46
No need for an FFL.

You can send a "firearm" for repair or replacement and have it returned directly to you.

If Century says they insist on sending to an FFL, ask for the supervisor. And keep asking. Go up the chain till somebody takes care of this.