PDA

View Full Version : Springfield M1A opinions

FAL GRUNT
May 06, 2009, 12:55
I'm wondering what everyone thinks about current manufacture Springfield M1A's.

Also would like to hear any opinions on the Match, Super Match, etc.

Anyone own a White Feather?

-myers

JohnnyV1966
May 06, 2009, 18:44
M1As are nice rifles. However, they are not for rapid fire shooting. They also require periodic maintenance (rebedding) to maintain accuracy. Grease must be used to lubricate the bolt roller, receiver grooves inside and outside op rod channel cut, one must also lubricate where the stock ferrule and gas system locks together all with lubriplate to get the best accuracy. Sights are fully adjustable by finger manipulation, unlike the FAL or HK91.

Off the shelf a standard grade M1a should be able to get 3MOA or less. A tuned match grade rifle with a good barrel and a properly bedded Laminate or McMillan Fiberglass stock ican get groups of 1MOA or less.

Honest Gunsmiths will also tell you that a AR10 clone is also capable of 1 MOA or better with less maintenance. DPMS or Armalite are good choices. DPMS offers considerable value at a significantly lower price tag by comparison.

Bryan 45
May 07, 2009, 20:07
I've had my M1A for about 9 years. The best qualities of the M1A are the trigger and sights, which just happen to be, IMO, the worst qualities of the FAL and G3. The operating system is very reliable, and accuracy is almost always better than the stock FAL or G3. Like Johnny eluded to, the AR10 and similar rifles are the only ones that can hang w/ the M1A, and while they may have a bit better ergonomics (pistol grip, straight stock, safety placement), I'll take the reciprocating bolt handle and two lug bolt of the M1A over the AR rifles.

2barearms
May 08, 2009, 06:07
Originally posted by JohnnyV1966
M1As are nice rifles. However, they are not for rapid fire shooting. They also require periodic maintenance (rebedding) to maintain accuracy. Grease must be used to lubricate the bolt roller, receiver grooves inside and outside op rod channel cut, one must also lubricate where the stock ferrule and gas system locks together all with lubriplate to get the best accuracy. Sights are fully adjustable by finger manipulation, unlike the FAL or HK91.

Off the shelf a standard grade M1a should be able to get 3MOA or less. A tuned match grade rifle with a good barrel and a properly bedded Laminate or McMillan Fiberglass stock ican get groups of 1MOA or less.

Honest Gunsmiths will also tell you that a AR10 clone is also capable of 1 MOA or better with less maintenance. DPMS or Armalite are good choices. DPMS offers considerable value at a significantly lower price tag by comparison.

I'm not sure where the notion you have that the M14/M1A can't be rapid fired
came from, they are rapid fired all the time and were built to just that. All battle
rifles require periodic mantenance, things like bedding are self imposed and are
not general maintenance items. Unless you are going to actually use an M1A in
High Power Competition you're probably wasting your money as it is a sport and
does have an ongoing cost of operations component. While I don't want to engage in a tit for tat over what rifle is better, if you are familiar with what you
have have and are competent in it's use it won't make a big difference in most
circumstances. Today I prefer factory military type rifles like SAR IMBELs for
instance or the Beretta BM62. This doesn't mean that parts guns and M1A's
aren't good weapons just that I want the very best stuff and an extra level
of comfort. I would seek out an M14 Type Rifle built by a reputable smith that
has the bulk of the parts made by a government contractor. Smith Enterprises
is very close to offering almost every part for an M14, all they lack are bolts
and trigger groups and I see this being the next generation for the M14.

FAL GRUNT
May 08, 2009, 09:49
I plan on building a 100% US made M1A/M14 clone, totally if I can of Winchester Parts (LRB or Smith receiver). However, that is some day, and $3000 away right now.

On the other hand... I can get Springfield's at a VERY attractive price. I was hoping some could chime in on how well their National Match is done compared to their standard. I can do the bedding and tuning myself, but it certainly is much cheaper, faster, and less worry to just buy it done already, and I can't beat the price.

-myers

gunplumber
May 08, 2009, 10:42
I'm not sure the reliability (or lack) of the AR-10s is worth a possible slight increase in accuracy. The only thinkg going for it is a better rail/modular system. Heck, I've built rack-grade FALs that outshoot a Stoner SR-25 (and don't have a light primer strike every 3 rounds).

I wish there was a .308 AR that would work as reliably as an M1A - I'd buy it. But my personal experience with an AR-10T was a joke and my custoemrs haven't been much better.

I am probably going to have to build my M1A - I turned one down last week because although a great price, the barrel had no manufacturer name on it.

The second I missed becasue someone else convinced him to break up his "package" and sell just the gun, where I could not.

And then another disappointing day at the range with the most expensive of the .308 ARs, that didn't work for shit. Will try a heavier hammer.

JohnnyV1966
May 08, 2009, 12:05
Originally posted by 2barearms

I'm not sure where the notion you have that the M14/M1A can't be rapid fired
came from, they are rapid fired all the time and were built to just that. .

Its trigger is less desirable IMHO than other rifles for rapid fire. I am not talking about Sitting or Prone RF in competition either.

2barearms
May 08, 2009, 12:24
Originally posted by JohnnyV1966

Its trigger is less desirable IMHO than other rifles for rapid fire. I am not talking about Sitting or Prone RF in competition either.

I realize what you're referring to, it's the 2 stage trigger, which if you're
used to poodle shooters I suppose could be an inconvience . I don't do
mag dumps with any of my stuff either.

Orion6
May 16, 2009, 08:43
My Springfield M1A purchased in Dec. 08 (Standard model w/synthetic stock) has been flawless.

I've never done any formal group shooting, but the rifle is very accurate and the trigger is a nice clean two-stage.

Springfield M1A's are a great value for all but the pickiest of shooters. I love my rifle.

one hand clapping
May 16, 2009, 10:55
I've have a national match for a couple of years and the only thing I would like different would be to have a McMillion stock [or the $ for it]. I'm a female and the standard stock is a bit big and heavy for me. Shoots great with the irons out at 300m [prone with a bag] I prefer to carry my FAL or my SLR if not going to be stationary for the weight/ergonomics.
good luck

ByronF
May 16, 2009, 18:18
I have a Scout, traded used, and it was just about when the Scout was considered a new development. Mostly commercial parts but was able to score an op rod, trigger group, and complete bolt back when CMP sold M14 parts. With commercial parts I think it's a great rifle. After upgrading the key USGI parts I would not part with it. I'd have some hard thinking to do if I could have only one 7.62 rifle, and I have a very nice Argy on Imbel 18" para.

Investment cast commercial parts don't have the sex appeal of "USGI forged" but I wonder how much it matters if the castings are done right. SA has a hell of a warranty.

Byron

Vermin
May 17, 2009, 11:17
My M1A Loaded was built in early 05. With the exception of a TRW trigger group. It is all Springfield. It shouts 2 MOA and under. I think it could do better, I'm the problem!!!! I had the action put in a sage international stock. Instant steel bedded ( actually aluminium). Cant beat it. My action is very tight. I have no problems with the rifle. My best Friend shot it in a couple 3-gum matches. So it has had some rapid fire strings thru it without a hicup. I dont Baby My rifles. They are Battle Rifles. I treat them as such. If I have to baby them, they will fail Me when times are tough!!.
If You want a M1A, Buy it. You wont Be dissapointed!!!

EricCartmanR1
May 17, 2009, 11:59
Originally posted by FAL GRUNT
I plan on building a 100% US made M1A/M14 clone, totally if I can of Winchester Parts (LRB or Smith receiver). However, that is some day, and $3000 away right now.

-myers

Good luck with that, USGI stuff all but dried up. I would just go AR10 and be done with it.

EricCartmanR1
May 17, 2009, 12:02
Originally posted by gunplumber
I'm not sure the reliability (or lack) of the AR-10s is worth a possible slight increase in accuracy. The only thinkg going for it is a better rail/modular system. Heck, I've built rack-grade FALs that outshoot a Stoner SR-25 (and don't have a light primer strike every 3 rounds).

I wish there was a .308 AR that would work as reliably as an M1A - I'd buy it. But my personal experience with an AR-10T was a joke and my custoemrs haven't been much better.

I am probably going to have to build my M1A - I turned one down last week because although a great price, the barrel had no manufacturer name on it.

The second I missed becasue someone else convinced him to break up his "package" and sell just the gun, where I could not.

And then another disappointing day at the range with the most expensive of the .308 ARs, that didn't work for shit. Will try a heavier hammer.

Are you serious? My AR10s (both of them) have nothing but a joy to me and have reliably ate and extracted all types of ammo. They are just as reliable as my FALs, AR15's, M1As, and AKs. I run them really wet with Mobile1.

FAL GRUNT
May 19, 2009, 17:22
Sudden Death, I was actually leaning towards a loaded. Well, actually, I was planning on getting a loaded and a standard. See how the two respectively shot and then sell both. :biggrin:

Then i'll build my US made one.

I appreciate all the input guys!

-myers

Bryan 45
May 19, 2009, 20:04
Originally posted by EricCartmanR1

Good luck with that, USGI stuff all but dried up. I would just go AR10 and be done with it.

If the commercial Springfield parts isn't good enough, how are Eagle Arms parts any better? (Yes, I know it says Armalite, but Eagle just bought the name, nothing else- so they are a lot like Springfield Inc.)

I would be hesitant to trust any rifle that had to have a quart of Mobile 1 before firing. The M1A likes a little grease, but it's not required. And the grease stays put until you clean the rifle. The only thing I can think of that the M1A gives up to the AR10 is platform similarities- if the shooter spends more time w/ .223 than 7.62.

Edit- I was sitting on the toilet this morning think about the AR10. I forgot to mention the suitability of mounting optics. Of course it supercedes the M1A in this respect.

crcksht
May 21, 2009, 09:48
Don't discount the National Match version of the M1A. In addition to the NM barrel, the National match comes with a unitized gas cylinder, bedded stock, and the op rod has a tighter fit(on the samples I've seen and used) to the receiver which should translate into smaller groups. Overall, the action on the NM is slicker than the standard.

The main USGI parts you really need for a build are the bolt, op rod, and trigger group. You can still find these parts. LRB is making quality gas cylinders and chrome-lined barrels which are likely just as good as USGI. Certainly the quality of LRB parts is equivalent or superior to anything produced by Eagle Arms/Armalite.

If I had to depend on the rifle to protect my life, I wouldn't trade a beat-up, standard M1A for any AR10, period. I agree with Bryan 45 100% regarding Mobil 1. If you run an AR as wet as he implies, that oil is going to run everywhere, including into the magazine which may not matter for an afternoon at the range, but eventually it will seep into the primers and will probably foul them. Therefore, in my opinion in a survival situation, the AR10 would be a terrible choice. The oil probably also gets blasted all over the shooter, his clothing, and may get onto any optics which are mounted.

superjc
May 31, 2009, 19:51
Great info. I have a preban SA M1A NM that I'm considering trading for a NIB scout model- Something a tad lighter to offset the heft of the loaded rifle.
I've shot 1,000 rounds through it in the 10 years I've had it.

I've never heard of any problems with the newer SA stuff, just a blown-up one due to a reloading mistake (pic hanging on the range wall).

feersum dreadnaught
June 01, 2009, 16:38
I've had a SuperMatch since 1989. Added a two screw SA scope mount and a weaver 4x14 scope.

off the bench with decent 168 gr ammo, it is 0.5 - 0.75 MOA. With surplus, it is 1-1.5 MOA.

The SuperMatch has a heavy barrel, and heavy stock, and comes glass bedded from SA. I would not want to carry this one very far, but love to shoot it.

I'm glad I bought it back then, as I could not afford it right now.

B Wood
June 07, 2009, 20:07
I am on my third M1A. LOL this one is a keeper.

First one I bought was a basic model. Took her home, could never get the op rod off. SA could not get it off either without damaging it. Took a while, but SA replaced it with a loaded model. Like a dumb ass, I traded it for a M4, without firing one single shot through her.

I was kind of ticked at SA for taking their time to deal with the issue....took a looooooooooong time to sort out.

Fast Forward to this year. Ran across another M1a on a board...standard model with a Winchester barrel, NM sights, etc. price was right at $1000. Bought it. Bought a walnut stock for her.....replaced the black synthetic with the walnut.....it is perfect now. Added a leather sling, and am in business now.

I really missed the M1A. This one is a keeper for me.

I think SA had some issues...but they have proven themselves to deal with any issues that come up. My hat is off to them

lew
June 09, 2009, 18:02
I certainly hope it's a good rifle. I just put a Loaded model on layaway for a good price.:biggrin: Always wanted an M1A, and the loaded was only $200 more than the Standard. Never could get myself to like the AR platform. I guess I'm a traditionalist.

308s
June 10, 2009, 21:50
Im sure youll be happy with your M!A. *whisper* I think Ill take it over a FAL but thats just my opinion and hey, wtf do I know LOL

lew
June 11, 2009, 07:32
The M1A and FAL are a draw in my book, that's why I'll have both.:biggrin:

hagar
June 12, 2009, 09:18
My M1A standard shoots better than my loaded...

I'd take the STG with built in bipod any day in a SHTF situation. The fact that it can be taken apart and discreetly carried is another plus. You take an M1A out of it's stock, and you have a 10 moa shift. And I'd hate to drag my wood stocked M1A's through pouring rain, mud and dirt.

The best and worst thing about an M1A are the sights, great for target shooting, but constantly coming loose. With a Fal you have instant 200/300/400/500/600 yard settings.

parallaxbill
June 13, 2009, 19:52
Run your M1A's in good USGI synthetic stocks and they will be much more reliable accuracy wise over wood most any day. No bedding problems either. I have two, a standard with a 64 HRA barrel and a USGI NM barrel and both shoot way better than 3 MOA both in GI Synthetic stocks. One painted in alumahyde OD green and the other in Alumahyde Gray.:)