PDA

View Full Version : Ammo ID...Czech 308w????

garyd1961
May 02, 2009, 18:56
I just got home from the gunshow,I thought I found a good deal on ammo but now I dont know. The vendor had some battle packs he said was Czech and he had some 250 and 500rd cans of loose ammo he said was the same as the battle packs. I bought a 500rd can for $269 ,when I got home and took a closer look I noticed it was stamped 308w and 83 with two small o's on each side. There is a sticker on the can not the original but one somebody placed over the original that says berdan primed is this corriosive? Can someone ID this ammo,would Czech ammo be stamped 308w? thanks garyd1961

CTW
May 03, 2009, 02:20
I would be willing to bet that this stuff is the corrosive S&B that came on the market a few months back. That sounds about right for the price.

garyd1961
May 03, 2009, 07:56
When I get a chance I will pull one apart and use my bolt gun to fire it at a clean nail. I will keep another nail as a control, if the nail fired on rust and the other dont I will know it's corroisive. If it is corroisive I will keep it for shtf ammo or maybe reload when I get the equipment. Has anyone else bought any of this or know anything about it. thanks garyd1961

NC Rifleman
May 03, 2009, 11:32
I would use the corrosive ammo for your "range" rounds and stash some non-corrosive for your "shtf" rounds. Proper cleaning will be much easier to do after a trip to the range than in a shtf situation.

garyd1961
May 03, 2009, 12:29
I dont know much about surplus ammo but I thought I read somewhere that nearly all ammo dated 1980 and newer was noncorroisive. Is there a way to tell if this is that S&B ammo. garyd1961

L/FN
May 03, 2009, 13:03
I have a couple rnds so marked in my collection.

308W at top/ 12:00
0 at 3:00 & 9:00
Date at 6:00

#1 dated 78 and I have it labeled as CZ Brazil

#2 dated 82 and I have it labeled as Brazil

I also have a rnd labeled as Czech that is marked:
ZV at top/ 12:00
7.62 at 7:30
69 at 4:30

Black colored primer.

A lot of late 60's early 70's Czech ammo was around in the lates 80's.

Came in a odd number in wood crate. Something like 880 rnds.

Assumed mildly corrosive.

CTW
May 03, 2009, 13:08
Does it look like this?http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=524682 If it does than it is corrosive.

garyd1961
May 03, 2009, 15:27
Larry this looks like what you described 308w at 12 o'clock o's at 9 and 3 o'clock and the date at 6 o'clock. The primer is the same color as the brass with a red sealer around the primer. CTW I dont know about the box because I never saw the the box it came in. All I saw was 200rd battlepacks and loose ammo in cans.Larry is the ammo from Brazil corroisive? Thanks for the replies any info is appriciated.garyd1961

L/FN
May 03, 2009, 21:02
Can't remember about the Brazilian ammo.
Most my 7.62 nato collecting was pre 2000.
Most single rnds I collected were out of a friends boxes and I only cataloged what mfg'r it was.

Maybe, someday I can collect some more rnds, set up a display w/ more research.

Larry

L/FN
May 04, 2009, 00:46
Did a net search and misc gunboards cite the 308W as S&B Czech. Corrosive.

Larry

garyd1961
May 04, 2009, 18:05
Thanks for the bad news Larry.(lol) Can the brass be reloaded after its shot, what about reloading with new primers before firing,can I use the same powder brass and bullets? I haven't reloaded any before but I plan on buying some equipment and start reloading. garyd1961

L/FN
May 04, 2009, 22:11
A lot of work to break it down to reload especially if it's berdan primed.
The primers have to
be popped before removal or the brass soaked to deaden them.

Could sell in now w/ corrosive disclosure or later when times get really tough to find 7.62.

Larry

garyd1961
May 06, 2009, 20:26
How bad is S&B ammo? Has anyone shot any of it? I always clean my rifle after shooting anyway,barrel and gas tube, is this enough to stop rust? garyd1961

CactusCapt
May 07, 2009, 17:21
The S&B .308 I bought from J&G many years ago was damn good ammo. Corrosive, yes. But so what? Clean your rifle. FALs are relatively easy to clean. Use water.

garyd1961
May 07, 2009, 17:47
I have more ammo but it's either sealed in cans or is in boxes, since this ammo is loose in a can I thought I would shoot it first. I will wait untill I have time to do a complete cleaning after I shoot before I try this S&B out, then I will keep a close eye on my rifle for a week or two. What about windex, I hear it will neutralize the salts that causes the rust. garyd1961

CactusCapt
May 07, 2009, 22:37
Water is what washes out the salts--no need for ammonia, but it has a following. I have used the old WWII bore cleaner, Ballistol+water, MP 7, Windex, plus an assortment of others. As long as the cleaner is water based, you're good. Oil based cleaners will not remove all the salts. After a good water cleaning, use a standard bore cleaner. Finish with a coat of CLP. Sleep well. After many years of shooting corrosive 7.62X54R, .30-06, 7.92mm, etc. through an assortment of rifles, I have yet to have any corrosion/rust.

Check this: CMP corrosive discussion (http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=46865)

Another: SurplusRifle (http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/alittlesalt/index.asp)

Rotor
May 08, 2009, 11:35
Samco had lots of this stuff for the longest time and was listed a corrosive. It all sold out in 2007 around the time the AIM pulled cased South African from it's site. ( only to reappear every few months as per battle pack basis)

I found this to be nothing special and clean as if it is corrosive.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Rotor_/Ammo%20and%20Mags/Headstamps/Win308-1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Rotor_/Ammo%20and%20Mags/Headstamps/Win308.jpg

It may be having burn rate issues.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/Rotor_/Ammo%20and%20Mags/Headstamps/ZB_O_308W2.jpg

JR

garyd1961
May 08, 2009, 18:26
Thanks Cactus I had read serval post on the subject, but that was the most information I've read yet. Rotor thats exactly what I bought except the date on mine is 83. Cactus in the rifleman article they said to clean your rifle serval days in a row after shooting corrosive ammo,is this necessary? I dont mind cleaning after shooting but not for serval days in a row.I might just keep this ammo for backup for when I cant get anything else. thanks garyd1961

CactusCapt
May 08, 2009, 22:47
Well, cleaning every day for a few days in a row seems a bit much. Whatever floats their boat... I just do it once--thoroughly. I used to run a patch through the bore a day after cleaning when I first started shooting a lot of corrosive, as I was afraid I had missed something. Always came out clean and with a bit of oil. It wouldn't hurt to do a follow-up check a day or so after initial cleaning when you first try the corrosive stuff. Bear in mind I've been shooting M-1s, M1As, FALs, Tokarevs, AKs, SKSs, HKs--well, you get the picture--for many years and am familiar with my rifle's cleaning requirements. Be sure of yours and you'll be fine.

BTW, the Czech I got from J&G was all late '70s and very clean ammo--I still have a few boxes left. It's just corrosive. Unlike Rotor's ammo, mine all came in blue boxes. Same headstamp, though.

garyd1961
May 09, 2009, 09:44
As I said before I didnt get any boxes ,just loose ammo in a can.Mine is date 83.I am going to try it out and then clean my rifle good. I dont mind running a patch through the barrel for the next few days just to check for rust. If the patch comes out clean then I will know its ok to shoot. I will let you all know what happens.thank again garyd1961

L/FN
May 09, 2009, 10:30
I didn't view the linked article to know if they mentioned to clean EVERYWHERE powder residue can be.

Gasblock & gas system. Chamber face and receiver surround.
Bolt and carrier including firing pin.

I imagine extent of cleaning based on qty of rnds fired.

Larry

garyd1961
May 15, 2009, 20:59
RUST!!! I have not shot any of the Czech ammo I got from the gun show but I shot some I got from a local gun shop,it must have been corrosive because when I looked at my rifle it had rust around the ejector block. Not all over but just in the seams and crevasses. I washed it with hot soapy water dried it and oiled it. Do I need to worry about rust between ejector block and receiver? I cant see any but I hate rust with a passion.thats why I always clean all my guns after I shoot them. thanks garyd1961