PDA

View Full Version : 30 round M-14 mags????

brownknees
April 26, 2009, 17:11
I saw a bunch of these at several different tables at the Dulles Expo Center gunshow today. They all seemed to be milspec, green/grey parked, not aftermarket.
I've never seen, or heard of them before, anyone got info on this odd appearance?

akabaron
April 26, 2009, 20:06
I bought 2 a while back. They look good so I figured I would try them out. I loaded the 1st one with 20rds and after 3rds started jamming. After I finally shot the rest I threw it and proceeded to fill it with 20 holes from my good mag. Still have the other one somewhere but I would not waste money on them

doubletap
April 26, 2009, 20:19
I don't believe there are any "mil-spec" 30 round mags since to the best of my knowledge there were no military 30 rounders. There is a reason the manufacture marked military mags are pricey compared to the aftermarket stuff I guess. About the cheapest mags of quality I've found are the Taiwanese ones made on the old Winchester tooling.

superjc
April 26, 2009, 23:09
I have one, it's a piece of junk, the locking lug is totally bevelled (stamped, not welded). Falls out when you fire it. Tried to have a chrome-plating/restoration guy add metal to it, didn't work. I bent it with a screwdriver, and it seems to lock in now, haven't tried to shoot it yet though. I let it get a little rusty because I didn't have hope it could be made to work, maybe I'll post a pic sometime.

richbug
April 27, 2009, 06:17
Checkmate has some 25's that seem to be of good quality. One of the guys I shoot USPSA with swears by them, they always seem to work. I can't wait for my DSA's to get here so we can level the playing field.

http://www.44mag.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CM25

molonlabe texan
April 27, 2009, 17:35
If CMI saw fit to stop at 25 there must be a good reason.

brownknees
April 27, 2009, 17:44
Thanks, fellas. I didn't buy one as I don't have an M1a any more but I was curious about them.

2barearms
April 27, 2009, 22:53
Originally posted by brownknees
Thanks, fellas. I didn't buy one as I don't have an M1a any more but I was curious about them.

The bigger is better methodology is suspect in some cases. The M14 mags may
be just one such animal as I can't see the benefit/cost ratio being any better than
just having really good 20 rounders. The exception would be a 120 rd Norinco
AR15 Drum, however the 75 rd AK Drum is not as handy as 2 40 rd mags in
my opinion. I do however want a 1911 Drum. The 30 rd mags for the Browning
Hi Power are the tits too.