PDA

View Full Version : Should I assume that...

Rick-a-Roo
April 25, 2009, 10:08
...I can remove this flash eliminator by driving out the pin and then unscrewing the piece from the barrel? Yeah, I know the rules about "assume", but...

The Oz Technical Brochure Supplement I'm looking at suggests that this is the case, then devotes seventeen highly illustrated pages on how to install a replacement but identical item.

I'm thinking of replacing this unit with a US made (Tapco) muzzle brake for compliance purposes. I understand that the threads on the new piece are 9/16 24 TPI right hand thread, standard inch L1A1 threading.

Or would you advise leaving "as-is" and going some other route?

The barrel has absolutely no markings I can detect in its entire length.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/zulu6/My%20Guns/L1A1/DSC09254.jpg

richardrose67
April 25, 2009, 10:44
Hi,
There is also a small washer that the pin holds in place, which you will need to remove. Also most supressors have a washer spacer inside the supressor which times the supressor. It sticks inside the supressor.
Rich:biggrin:

richardrose67
April 25, 2009, 10:56
Hi, Your barrel may be Austrailian. Pull the hand guards off and look under the hand guard ring where the barrel meets the reciever. Look on the bottom of the barrel and look for any letters or numbers.
Rich

Rick-a-Roo
April 25, 2009, 13:25
Well, Mr. Rose ~ there is certainly something there; either one letter/cypher above another obscured by a tool mark, or just a rather deep tool mark.

It's real difficult for these old eyes to get a good look in that rather confined space, even with a magnifier.

I missed this earlier, not thinking to squint into the dark recesses ~ it's too much like that little place in the back of my head...

Thank you for the other information, BTW. Another question, once removed, is it a straightforward re-installation should I need to do so.

Newbie questions, I'm afraid, and I'm no great shakes with my hands.

MAINER
April 25, 2009, 16:10
You should have no problem switching back to the origional. Just be sure to locate the timing washer and keep it with the FH.

Without knowing the configuration of your rifle, I can't suggest any alternatives.
We would have to know what compliant parts are on the rifle and does it use Inch or Metric mags.

Rick-a-Roo
April 25, 2009, 16:50
Inch pattern rifle (Oz lower, IMBEL upper, Oz furniture, barrel indeterminate, inch pattern magazines).

Thus far compliant parts I know of are:

Hammer

Trigger

Sear

Gas plug

Mag. base plate (on all nine mags I have)

On order:

Ironwood stock

Ironwood pistol grip

In hand:

Tapco muzzle break

As I'm not too comfortable with the security of the base plates, the MB wouuld be the more permanent seventh piece.

Wild Man
April 26, 2009, 08:28
If you are getting ironwood buttstock and handguards, that counts as 2 US parts and you are good to go even without the floorplates. Leave the flashhider on, the gun will better, but learn how to take the FH off for cleaning.

Rick-a-Roo
April 26, 2009, 09:53
I seriously considered the Ironwood handguards, Wild Man, but I prefer the look and construction of the original Oz pieces.

Finishing the Ironwood parts to closely match the handguards will be something of a challenge, but I think I can get to somewhere close.

And I have to admit, the flash eliminator that's on at present is much more visibly appealing than the TAPCO piece.

embatp
April 26, 2009, 10:02
rick a roo...look in the marketplace...moses has identical looking flash hiders he made here in the usa that just screw on....no need to fumble with the pin and washer etc.

MAINER
April 26, 2009, 13:25
Gas Plug ??

Hope you meant "Gas Piston".

Don't believe plugs count.

Rick-a-Roo
April 26, 2009, 18:11
Yessir!! You are correct. :cool:

Amazing the tricks these old brains and fingers are capable of. :rolleyes: :redface:

Rick-a-Roo
April 26, 2009, 18:15
Originally posted by embatp
rick a roo...look in the marketplace...moses has identical looking flash hiders he made here in the usa that just screw on....no need to fumble with the pin and washer etc.

Which Market Place, embatp?

Am I missing the link to a specific trading forum?

OKAY ~ I FOUND IT!!!

tsmgguy
April 26, 2009, 22:44
I don't believe I'd be replacing an original arsenal installed Australian forged flash hider with an American made Tapco item that is junk in comparison. "Compliance" be damned!

I'm being rather harsh here, I know, but good Lord, the Aussie item (of exceptional quality) was installed correctly using a special jig to insure that it went on straight.

No one is ever going to inspect your rifle for 922r compliance! If you are worried about it, I'd really encourage the use of the US made magazine base plates that you mentioned.