PDA

View Full Version : Help with valuing Inch FAL

FAL GRUNT
April 22, 2009, 22:42
http://i44.tinypic.com/21jd2c6.jpg

British L1A1 built on a DSA receiver. (it takes metric mags) Has the correct flash hider w/ bayonet lug. Comes with bayonet w/ scabbard, issue British sling, scope mount top cover as well as standard top cover, cleaning gear, stripper clip mag loader, front sight protector and one twenty round metric mag.

I'm looking to trade for it and wanted to check its value.

thanks

-myers

MAINER
April 23, 2009, 14:33
Matching numbers or mixed Brit parts?

It do look good! :bow:

FAL GRUNT
April 23, 2009, 20:40
No idea actually. I'm waiting to hear back who built it and bore condition.

-myers

nwobhm
April 23, 2009, 20:48
Good clean bore? If so, $1,400 for entire package.

crsswift70
April 23, 2009, 21:08
Sounds kind of high to me :?

the gman
April 24, 2009, 17:28
I'd say anywhere between $1K & 1200 at today's prices. DSA receivers are retailing at $500 these days, nice kits are around $4 to 500. Assembled & good to go puts it in the price range above.

YMMV.

FAL GRUNT
April 24, 2009, 17:46
I'm hoping to meet the guy this week sometime and give it a good looking over. He actually bought it from n8ghtgunner(sp?) here on the files.

Things to look for?

Bore, matching numbers, markings (ie english, broadarrow?), year, and ???

Thanks for the help so far. I'm going to be building him a custom AK that I would probably sell for about $1100... so just wanted to double check.

-myers

nwobhm
April 24, 2009, 21:35
Originally posted by crsswift70
Sounds kind of high to me :?

The bayo, sling and scope topcover are easily worth $100. Where is anyone selling a complete DSA inch for under $1,300 in todays market?

crsswift70
April 24, 2009, 21:41
I was assuming it wasn't a DSA built rifle with DSA warranty and coverage. He said built on a DSA receiver. Granted, those are at a premium, but if it is a personally built kit gun, i don't think it will draw what one from DSA will.

nwobhm
April 24, 2009, 22:23
I assume it's a kit gun too. Look over on GB. Any DSA, kit or factory, brings a premium. Price out a kit, receiver, 922r, assembly, refinish + the extras. Doubt you could build it for that.

crsswift70
April 24, 2009, 22:27
Then the deal of the year is waiting on you in the Marketplace. $1000 for it. Which by the way i think he can get. Especially if it is taken over to gunbroker.

sturmgrenadiere
April 24, 2009, 22:31
nwobhm, for consideration, this isn't a DSA inch from what is posted, but a metric DSA receiver.

This knocks the value to many since it is not all inch pattern.

And despite what people say kits are currently valued (not directed at anyone in theis thread), as someone who has sold a few primo L1A1 kits over the past few months... the buyers are not knocking down your door right now. So value becomes an issue of what it is worth to the owner verses what offer he will accept....

Also, hard to tell from the pics, but is it refinished?

Have to agree with gman... sure, the scope cover is a bonus, but there is no mention of 922 parts and in the end, retail sum value of parts verses gotta sell/trade are two different things.

Just my take...

FAL GRUNT
April 25, 2009, 01:16
Excellent points everyone and I am thrilled to see the discussion.

I actually prefer that it is a metric receiver, as I already have a stash of metric mags.

I now have some more pictures that I will post as soon as I am able. They give a little, but not much, more detail.

-myers

biyf
April 25, 2009, 08:22
If he's throwing in the mags with ammo, at current prices, that would conservatively cost you another $1100 to buy separately at $12/per magazine and $500 per 1000 rounds.

nwobhm
April 25, 2009, 09:55
I'm basing my price on the following assumptions. Only the seller knows what he has.

Any clean Britt kit with a pit/rust free bore is going to bring $450 easily. They will be knocking your door down for it too.

DSA Receiver will easily bring $475 these days and don't forget you pay shipping and transfer at an additional $25 bringing total to $500

922r in todays market is HTS($85 from Gunthings), Tapco Piston($28 from GPG), Mag follower $1, FH ($51 from Moses). That totals out to $165 + shipping.

Bayo, Scabbard, Scope top cover, loader will run $100.

That's $1,215 before assembly, locking shoulder or refinish.

nwobhm
April 25, 2009, 09:57
sturmgrenadiere, If you still have some of those primo Britt kits and are willing to go $450 please PM me with what you have available.

FAL GRUNT
April 25, 2009, 11:28
Originally posted by biyf
If he's throwing in the mags with ammo, at current prices, that would conservatively cost you another $1100 to buy separately at $12/per magazine and $500 per 1000 rounds.

All that is included is what is listed in the original post:
Comes with bayonet w/ scabbard, issue British sling, scope mount top cover as well as standard top cover, cleaning gear, stripper clip mag loader, front sight protector and one twenty round metric mag.

The owner stated that he will probably sell the mags and ammo with the rifle, or after it sold. I'm betting he will want .50+ a round, and anywhere from $5-$10 a mag, given whatever he thinks the going rate is.

The ammo would be nice, as I only have components to load about 300 rounds with me right now... but I am not willing to pay today's prices when I can reload for less.

-myers

crsswift70
April 25, 2009, 12:15
Nwo i think Sturm has it right. The market IS drying up a little. As someone who has been searching for, and buying 2 FAL's in the past few months (one last week), i can testify to this. Not that they have gotten cheap, but the demand has dropped a tad. Case in point, there are two DSA receiver rifles in the marketplace that i found with just a little searching, one is $1000 the other is $1250 with 10 mags and accessories. I DO think the $1000 rifle is a good deal. It would sell for that with the proper exposure at another site if not in the next week here.

nwobhm
April 25, 2009, 13:24
Looks like it's a Sledgehammer build.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=98677

Details:

DSA type 1 reciever ( Milled to inch specs, except takes metric mags)
FSE H,T,S.
DSA gas piston
USA floorplate

Black marynal Brit Furniture
Excellent bore (British chrome lined)
AD marked australian lower

Black gunkote over parkerizeing
Flash hider sleeved by Sledgehammer
Rifle fires and functions flawlessly

sturmgrenadiere
April 25, 2009, 15:39
Thorak and I both had kits sit for weeks on gunbroker. It seems to becoming more and more a niche market.

Same kits sat on here for a long time on and off. Finally sold after a long time.

Just stating a change in the winds from a few years ago, while keeping in mind the inflation of prices. Not going to argue about it, jus stating my experience. And no, I sold all the kits I had for sale.

Also, the whole British chrome lined bore issue is still unconfirmed. I have even written a few letters to the royal armories to inquire about this. There have been a few threads on this that all come up empty.

What solid proof is there (documented), that the brits eventually chrome lined the bores? I don't ask this adversarial, but in the spirit of finding this stuff out. You think something like that would be noted somewhere.

Things to consider…

nwobhm
April 25, 2009, 17:44
Originally posted by sturmgrenadiere
What solid proof is there (documented), that the brits eventually chrome lined the bores?

No clue. Info above was cut from original ad.

FAL GRUNT
April 25, 2009, 18:38
Wow, great job nwobhm.

Ok, so you can see in the first and second picture on the lower above the back of the pistol grip, the lower looks uneven? It looks like it was almost welded?

What would this be from?

-myers

sturmgrenadiere
April 25, 2009, 20:23
That appearance it typical. For lack of the correct part name (all my books are packed up for my move to Japan) many Brit and many Aussie lowers I have seen are peened right there to reinfoce securing whatever cross-member it is in the lower. I have seen many void of this and I have seen many that look like my 2 year old went to town with a hammer. I would not fret about it from an originality point of view. But again, just my take since I am a fit an finish freak to a fault.

Maybe the guy at the arsenal had an extra pint that day at lunch... who knows.

Andy the Aussie
April 25, 2009, 20:25
Originally posted by sturmgrenadiere
That appearance it typical. For lack of the correct part name (all my books are packed up for my move to Japan) many Brit and many Aussie lowers I have seen are peened right there to reinfoce securing whatever cross-member it is in the lower. I have seen many void of this and I have seen many that look like my 2 year old went to town with a hammer. I would not fret about it from an originality point of view. But again, just my take since I am a fit an finish freak to a fault.

Maybe the guy at the arsenal had an extra pint that day at lunch... who knows. ....... yep...we use to beat on ours as well (albeit with a little more care ;) ) to tighten up the upper/lower fit.

Ben, when do you ship out ?

Andy

PARA FN FAL
April 25, 2009, 20:59
1500 would seem to be a low price considering all of the extras included. If you guys can't work out a deal I hope the seller posts it here for sale.

crsswift70
April 25, 2009, 21:12
$1500 with all that ammo, cans and magazines would be a sweet deal :) But, he's got it listed for $1000 with sling, bayonet and one mag i believe.