PDA

View Full Version : My new model 10

tracyballard
April 16, 2009, 11:42
well, I finally found a model 10 I liked and I actually won the auction. How did I do pricewise?

gunbroker auction (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126727645)

:)

Retired Bum
April 16, 2009, 13:40
I'd say you did okay for yourself. I've owned two five inch Model 10's in the past and I always thought that barrel length looked just right on a K frame.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

charles isaac
April 16, 2009, 14:51
Outstanding job Sir!

That one was made in the 1960s and Smith has made a lot of them because they are that good! I would suggest a Tyler "T" grip filler to enhance the handling charactaristics if the trigger guard bites your knuckle.

My daily carry is a 10-6 heavy barrel 4" with +P+ Hydro Shocks. Those 10s are strong but highly portable guns!

MAINER
April 16, 2009, 16:12
Outstanding is right! :bow:

I'd say ya snuck that one past the collectors!

Hoot G
April 17, 2009, 00:43
Wow! If those are real elephant ivory grips (I can't tell from the photo) they're alone worth more than your purchase price. If not, it looks like you got a real good deal anyway.

Congratulations!

tracyballard
April 17, 2009, 00:45
fake ivory grips, but still looks good to me.

Hoot G
April 17, 2009, 01:37
Ok, you didn't steal it. Still a good deal. Some of the imitation ivory grips look real nice, and these seem to be in that category. Even without them, ya did good!

BUFF
April 17, 2009, 06:02
Before Smith & Wesson had model numbers, their guns had names. The Model 10 is also known as the "Military & Police." The model numbers began in 1957.

S&W has made the M&P since 1899. 1899!!! Made more than 7 million of them so far.

It was the handgun most often used by U.S. cops from after WWI until the semiauto craze began in the 1980's. The gun has few weaknesses and no vices.

Good pick!

tracyballard
April 21, 2009, 15:02
I'll probably shoot target loads in this most of the time, but can it handle +P ammo in case I want to try it?

I see post 3 mentions using +P on a regular basis on a 10-6 heavy barrel, so I assume a 10-5 could handle about the same loads, at least from time to time?

Hoot G
April 21, 2009, 15:56
While I wouldn't run any +P in my .38 Military & Police 1st Model (aka; Model 1899, shipped to New Orleans in 1901) I would have no problems in using +P in any model numbered S&W. Your 10-5 is plenty strong enough!

http://homepage.mac.com/hoot/.Pictures/1899/7094.jpg

tracyballard
April 21, 2009, 16:14
I bet that one has some history.

fry
April 22, 2009, 01:29
nice:bow:

BUFF
April 22, 2009, 03:06
S&W has said that one can shoot Plus-P ammo in any K-frame .38 with a model number stamped on the frame (in the yoke cut-out), which means any M&P and variants made after 1956.

Good pick.

tracyballard
April 22, 2009, 15:01
I went and picked it up today, and there's a big problem...this gun is so nice I don't think I want to fire it...the guy said it was 99% condition but I'm still looking for the 1%. this thing has the sheen of a brand new gun. Have you heard someone say mirror bore? Now I know what that means - I could actually comb my hair while I was checking the bore. No way it could be any shinier. Looks all original, too nice to be true even, but if this is a reblue it's darned good. what do you think? original? PS - this looks a million times better in person than in photos.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2374/april152009213.jpg (http://img25.imageshack.us/my.php?image=april152009213.jpg)

yarro
April 23, 2009, 20:52
Probably not reblued as those usually have little or no case color left on the hammer and trigger. It is 99% as I can see some very minor handling marks. It was probably kept in a draw as exposure to UV will cause the case color to go away over time as well. I had a S&W that had most of the case color gone on one side of the hammer and trigger, but good blueing on that side. The other side was had a dusting of rust from laying on a folder up rag on a shelf below a cash register, but the case color was good on that side. Another gun I should have kept and just lived in the dark and ate rice a lot.

-yarro

BUFF
April 23, 2009, 21:06
Looks like original finish to me. Best clues are the crispness of the roll markings and the fit of the sideplate.

You can shoot it a lot and show very little wear. Just don't store it in a holster and clean it good after shooting and it will look great for decades.

Cava3r4
April 24, 2009, 12:29
fake ivory grips, but still looks good to me.

always remember, "only a pimp in a cheap new orleeens whorehouse would have a pearl handled revolver" :D

Nice buy. Every now and then J&G sales in prescott, AZ gets in some Model 10s. They have a very nice lock work in them.
Bob

Temp
April 25, 2009, 10:57
I had a 5" model 10 like that for many years and put a few thousand rounds through it.

At the time, I was shooting IHMSA and was casting a lot of bullets for a Thompson Center Contender in .357 Maximum. I started with the 357-180 Silhouette bullet from an RCBS mold, but eventually changed over to the 35-200 flat nose design.

The 357-180 cast bullet mold started getting used for the .38 special cartridges that I fired through the 5" Model 10. Cast from WW alloy, they weighed in at 190 grains.

I won't endorse the practice, but most of those 190 grain loads were fueled with Blue Dot and left the muzzle at around 1000 fps.

Very accurate,...I had no problem knocking over the Javalina targets at 100 meters with them.

As mentioned, I fired a few thousand of those loads through that Model 10 before I sold it to a friend. It was still very tight and looked almost new when I sold it.

It's one that I wish I had back.

Andy the Aussie
April 26, 2009, 01:19
My favourite revolver to carry was a 3 inch (pencil) barrel Model 10....great little revolvers ..!!!

motosapien
May 08, 2009, 11:40
I'd just start shooting it. I got a model 27 made in the early 60's that was near perfect. Even though I've shot it a lot it still looks like new. No if you carried it in a holster often that would put some wear on it.

Nice score.

tracyballard
May 08, 2009, 12:15
I really don't know if I'm going to shoot it. I just got some ammo from wisconsincartridge, but this is the nicest gun I've ever had, even better than new guns I've bought. The nicest gun I had before was a FEG P9R, which had a beautiful blue job on it, but it was darker than this smith, almost black. the finish on this gun looks very blue, hard to describe, kind of light and dark at the same time.

Hoot G
May 08, 2009, 12:48
Originally posted by tracyballard
I really don't know if I'm going to shoot it.

That's a good dilemma. Congrats on your new (old) gun!

BUFF
May 08, 2009, 18:54
Do it! Do it and say, you didn't! Or, don't do it and say, you did!

Seriously, it's a great gun, it's been shot and you won't hurt the finish just shooting it.

Do it.

You know you want to!

charles isaac
May 17, 2009, 15:15
...this gun is so nice I don't think I want to fire it...

And a cosmetically challenged shooter is only about a hundred bucks less than what you paid!

Going out and shooting these old guns, especially with vintage ammo, is sort of a pilgrimage that you wouldn't want to miss out on.

I ran a box of this stuff through a 1907 vintage M1902 round butt. Definately hotter than modern standard load .38s. This auction is not a good deal, but I recommend trying some of this type Vintage .38 Special (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128940943)

Temp
May 17, 2009, 21:38
I suggest summa these,...160 grain LBT-WFN over,..uhhhhh,.."some" Alliant 2400.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h225/FalMike/MVC-030S-1.jpg

Temp
May 21, 2009, 08:18
It's a habit you get into if you shoot a lot of cast bullets,...slippery little devils,...recoil tends to pull them from the case if a generous crimp isn't applied.

charles isaac
May 21, 2009, 17:01
I see post 3 mentions using +P on a regular basis on a 10-6 heavy barrel

Sorry for the confusion-I said +P+, not +P (Who's on first? Right?;) )

Supposedly the modern day equivalent of the old 38/44 Heavy Duty round developed during the gangster era, they bridge the gap between the +P and the modern, lighter loads for the .357 Magnum. +P+ Hydro Shoks would be a handful in a 4" pencil barrel with service style grips and no grip adapter.

+Ps on the other hand aren't really very hot. About the same power as a 9mm defensive round.