PDA

View Full Version : Limit on CMP 30-06 ammo

Nepag
April 14, 2009, 20:14
Sorry if this is a repeat, but just saw that effective April 10 the CMP is limiting purchases of Greek 30-06 in enbloc clips to a maximum of 10 spam cans a year. Naturally, they also upped the price to $75 per can. The other 30-06 ammo in boxes is no longer available. Gettin tough, guys.

Seaweed
April 14, 2009, 21:07
At $.44 per round on clips, it's the "new cheap".

Tailback
April 15, 2009, 00:10
Should have done this a long time ago. The CMP was established to promote marksmanship in the civilian population.

Unfortunately shysters have used the CMP for years as a cash machine by buying rifles and reselling for personal profit.

I'm not against people making an honest buck, but this behavior is contrary to the reason behind the foundation of the CMP. You know who you are and you'll have to answer for your ways eventually.

I've bought exactly 2 rifles from the CMP and I'll never, EVER sell them. If none of my nephews or nieces show an interest, they'll be DONATED to a shooting program. How do you like them apples?

falbuff
April 15, 2009, 06:36
Ya hit the nail on the head.

JJC
April 15, 2009, 12:01
Originally posted by Tailback
Should have done this a long time ago. The CMP was established to promote marksmanship in the civilian population.

Unfortunately shysters have used the CMP for years as a cash machine by buying rifles and reselling for personal profit.

I'm not against people making an honest buck, but this behavior is contrary to the reason behind the foundation of the CMP. You know who you are and you'll have to answer for your ways eventually.

I've bought exactly 2 rifles from the CMP and I'll never, EVER sell them. If none of my nephews or nieces show an interest, they'll be DONATED to a shooting program. How do you like them apples?

The CMP was established to promote marksmanship - not to provide rifles and ammunition at below market cost. Sales are the mechanism to fund the mission, not the mission itself.

If the products are being resold for profit on a regular basis, then the CMP is pricing the product too low and losing out on the funds that could be generated to continue the mission when the rifles and ammo are gone.

"but this behavior is contrary to the reason behind the foundation of the CMP"
a rifle and ammunition got put into the hands of a shooter - that would seem to accomplish the mission to me. I would rather pay less and get mine directly from CMP, but some people are too lazy to fill out a couple of forms and get them notarized so a rifle can be shipped right to their house. OPver the past 10 years, the CMP has decreased the requirements to purchase a rifle and ammo, and increased the limits each person could purchase - obviously they want to sell more rifles. How does allowing someone to build a collection of M1 rifles increase marksmanship activity ? If you read the CMP forums, the majority of them seem to be collectors more worried about the proof marks and matching parts on the multiple rifles they have purchased, rather than actually shooting

Want to guarnatee a rifle and ammo only goes to a shooter and not a collector or reseller- go back to one rifle ever with no choice of manufacturer, and only sell ammo to clubs conducting competitions.

Seaweed
April 15, 2009, 13:25
All of the above reasons apply to varying degrees. Add to them the political issues, and we all might be glad as many rifles and as much ammo was distributed by whatever means because the doors may close at any time.

Jim

DYNOMIKE
April 16, 2009, 07:07
A year ago or so the CMP said thay had enough Greek to last several years.. Realistic limits should have been imposed at that time to keep the supply and to keep wholesalers OUT.. Then they allowed vendors and wholesalers to buy in quantity, these guys bought the ammo purely for the potential profit and at this time reap the rewards of doing so while the CMP has competely forgotten the meaning of the CMP and the long gone DCM.. Seems to me they should have had a MUCH better handle on the supply and inventory as well as "WHO" was making large purchases.. These are the ones that should have been stopped.. But NO, Now they decide to impose limits and it seems these are long over due and to little to late I'm afraid.. ...:rolleyes :(

Some more thoughts were shared here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259850

Survey Punk
April 16, 2009, 07:34
I think you are getting the DCM, a Dept. of the Army program, and the CMP, a private entity, confused.
CMP is in the business of making money.

JB

DYNOMIKE
April 16, 2009, 17:50
Originally posted by Survey Punk
I think you are getting the DCM, a Dept. of the Army program, and the CMP, a private entity, confused.
CMP is in the business of making money.
JB

I am very aware of what the DCM was, & I'm not confused about the current CMP.. However the CMP may be?? Here is their HOME Page...

http://www.odcmp.com/about_us.htm

No federally appropriated funds may be used by the Corporation to conduct operations; therefore, all funds must be generated through authorized sales, donations and fees charged. The Corporation may solicit, accept and retain funds and services from donations, bequests or gifts. All funds collected by the Corporation shall be used only to conduct the official functions of the Civilian Marksmanship Program