PDA

View Full Version : CMP guns

cpt caveman
April 10, 2009, 03:38
What has been yall's experience with the accuracy of CMP guns? Not looking for a matched gun or a pretty gun, but a good shooter.

Anything in particular you have had a bad experience with?

Thanks

hagar
April 10, 2009, 05:42
If you want a good shooter, get one with one of the new stocks.

Azraphaelus
April 10, 2009, 06:45
Correct grade rifles are like getting a brand new rifle. Service grades are about the same. Field grades are fine, but you'd be better off going to one of the CMP stores and hand picking it, because some are just awful while some are not bad. All of the field grades will require a bit of elbow grease, but that's part of the fun. Even though the military arsenal rebuild stocks may look rough, if you strip it down and re-apply a nice thick coat of linseed oil the stocks will look very handsome, and will show their "character." A friend recently bought a field grade that gaged 1 1/2 at the muzzle which is quite good. Spare parts abound in case you need to replace any parts, which is unlikely. Same goes for M1 carbines. Good luck on your search.

Bentley8
April 10, 2009, 13:03
I picked out a nice service grade at the North Store a few years ago. I was looking for bore condition foremost and good stock second. It did take a while but I did get what I wanted. TE/ME of 1 or less and a newish Dane stock.

Shot a 1.9-inch group offhand with it, so it's accurate enough for me.

Blood of Tyrants
April 13, 2009, 19:23
A service grade M1 will shoot about 2-4 MOA right from the CMP. There are a few simple tricks you can do to bring it down to a steady 2" MOA. Just search the forum at the CMP site.

Some of the things to do are make sure the op rod does not rub against the stock. Get a stock with a tight fit and lock up. If you want, you can have the action bedded but then you cannot shoot JC Garand matches. Make sure the gas plug is tight. Make sure the front handguard is floating loosely on the barrel. Make sure the rear ring on the gas cylinder is not touching the barrel. Make sure your rear sight is tight and not wobbly.

Those are all easy to do and will improve your accuracy.

Azraphaelus
April 13, 2009, 19:30
I noticed CMP no longer has "Correct" grade rifles. CMP Store South only had "Field" grade M1 Garands, but lots of very nice "Service" grade M1 Carbines and USGI M1 Carbine magazines. Also, looks like they're running low on .30-06 (M2 Ball) ammo since they no longer are offering the 240 round spam cans and limiting purchases to 10 cans of .30-06 loaded on en-bloc clips to ten cans a year. Looks like if you really want a rifle and some ammo you might need to plan a road trip. Probably need to try CMP North though for a Service Grade M1.