PDA

View Full Version : Steyr AUG A3

1811GNR
April 05, 2009, 09:45
Why isn't this being discussed yet? Steyr is finally shipping A3's, albeit in limited numbers thus far, to dealers and nobody here cares.

What kind of AUG forum is this?

olgier
April 05, 2009, 10:04
i didn't know they were shipping. :p guess i'll have to go search the net.

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/125905000/125905885/pix21899750.jpg

well, apparently it's being made by sabre defense? and for $3000.00+ i'll stay with the msar. though i do like that low rail on the top. :)

1811GNR
April 05, 2009, 10:42
Sabre is making the receiver and barrel.Not sure if they are making the other US parts. At least some of the parts are being imported from Austria.

Price is definitely up there. Like to see what they would be going for once production increases and without the Nomama effect.

olgier
April 05, 2009, 10:48
i'm kinda suprised they didn't make the a3 to take AR mags. looks like they stayed with the aug style.

Squint
April 05, 2009, 13:31
I saw a picture of one of the bolt carriers and it looks like it has an Austrian proof mark on it. I wonder how much less the MSRP should be since they don't include an Swarovski optic like the A-1 did? If it was an A-1 I would be very tempted because that is the rifle I wanted back in the 90's. Now I am glad I got the STG556 for $1700.

EBRfan
April 07, 2009, 22:25
Originally posted by 1811GNR
Why isn't this being discussed yet? Steyr is finally shipping A3's, albeit in limited numbers thus far, to dealers and nobody here cares.

Probably because most of us haven't seen or touched one yet. None have shown up at my local gun superstore, at least any they'll admit. I assume whatever they have had come has gone to GB, like I suspect their SCAR did.

Plenty of MSARs on the shelf, however.

phil in indy
April 08, 2009, 11:07
Hell this last weekend at the Creek I thought I would see some MSAR's and Sig 556's. Shoot I didn't see a single one. Probably good though cause I would've gotten into a heaping pile of shiite if I went home with a new $1700.00 rifle right before I have send in a hell of a lot more than that to the FEDS for Income Tax.

KBAR04
April 09, 2009, 16:32
The retail is 2295 on the Steyr A3. There are people scalping the first ones on Gunbroker of course..

olgier
April 09, 2009, 16:48
Originally posted by KBAR04
The retail is 2295 on the Steyr A3. There are people scalping the first ones on Gunbroker of course..

cripes, the msar was alot less than that with rifle, case, 1x10rd., 5x30 rd., and 2x42rd. mags. so the aug retail is higher without the extras? thats nutz.

stfram
April 13, 2009, 22:12
Originally posted by olgier
cripes, the msar was alot less than that with rifle, case, 1x10rd., 5x30 rd., and 2x42rd. mags. so the aug retail is higher without the extras? thats nutz.

The first run of MSAR rifles came with that hardcase, the microtech knife, and four magazines of varying capacities.

And the current ones come in a cardboard box and one 10-round magazine. That boggles my mind..at least toss in a 30! At least they're below 2k.

The new augs come with a soft case and two 30-round magazines. Spares are around $35.

The main benefit of the Aug A3 though, is that it's a REAL Aug, and can use most original Aug A1 accessories, like barrels...and the NATO buttstock. Hopefully Sabre will start making the 9mm conversions as well, since the Austrian ones are rare and pricey.

That being said, the introduction of the "real" Aug has forced MSAR to revise their magazines (they now work with standard Aug mags, and current MSAR mags work in the A3), remove that bizarre AR style forward assist, and improve other things with the product.

In other words, competition is good, and we'll reap the benefits if the AW rush ever ends.

BrenLover
May 13, 2009, 19:14
Originally posted by olgier

Well, I can tell you after handling the MSAR and my AUG A1s back to back why the Steyr costs more.:|

While the guy's MSAR I looked at looked SPECTACULAR, it was not near as tight and solid feeling as my 20 year old A1. Lot's of wiggles and rattles.

sturmgrenadiere
May 18, 2009, 17:48
I just picked up a current production MSAR STG-556, green with the optic, and it is rock solid, no rattles, no play in anything... nada... so I wonder what was the issue with the example you handled?

I haven't even shot this thing yet and I like it, so I suspect a real AUG in my future some day, just to diversify...

Regards

Ben