PDA

View Full Version : Goin' rate for M39's

lew
April 04, 2009, 17:25
I have an M39 built on a 1944 (non antique) VKT receiver. The wood and metal are in great condition with two exceptions: a repaired split in the handguard and some wear from the blank firing attachment. It has the correct leather sling and a war-time stock. The bore is immaculate.

How much can I wring out of this puppy should I be forced to sell it?

I have 40 rounds of Lapua 180 gr. SP that I'd throw in, too.

DYNOMIKE
April 04, 2009, 18:05
Prolly about $250.00-$300.00 Lew..

This should give you an idea, the site is updated with new rifles pretty regularly if there aren't many VKT's listed right now..

http://www.gunsnammo.com/

lew
April 04, 2009, 18:14
Thanks. I had it listed at $300, originally, then dropped it down to $250. Only one person was interested. :confused: Now, I'm pretty set on selling it, so I'll give re-listing a go.

gunner30
April 04, 2009, 18:16
Try selling it here on the marketplace listings. Should go quickly at $250. These are fine rifles

Brass Rat
April 04, 2009, 20:00
I have an M39 built on a 1944 (non antique) VKT receiver.

The Finns did not make receivers. Barrels were made by VKT but the receiver will be either Russian, US, or French made.

The VKT M39's were the 2nd highest production behind Sako. The prices have just about tripled since I bought my '44 VKT from Wholesale Gun on 2003 for 89.99.

I believe the only one I paid more than $100 for was the $229 unissued "B" barrel.

Those days are gone but they still list them for less than $200 regularly.

DYNOMIKE
April 04, 2009, 21:05
Originally posted by lew
Thanks. I had it listed at $300, originally, then dropped it down to $250. Only one person was interested. :confused: Now, I'm pretty set on selling it, so I'll give re-listing a go.

You should be able to sell it at that price no prob, If I didn't already have two VKT's I would prolly buy it.. Bu I am doing my very best at not duplicating any more makers umtil I get the two I am missing..

"IF" You had an S.K.Y. I would be all over it..:wink:

Dirt1042
April 04, 2009, 21:21
I just picked up a 41 vkt with a nice war time stock for $250 shipped. Best of all it has an 1896 receiver, so my dealer didn't have to transfer it. It's going to be my service rifle match gun this year.:biggrin:

DYNOMIKE
April 04, 2009, 21:44
Originally posted by Dirt1042
I just picked up a 41 vkt with a nice war time stock for $250 shipped. Best of all it has an 1896 receiver, so my dealer didn't have to transfer it. It's going to be my service rifle match gun this year.:biggrin:

The Two VKT's I have are VERY good shooters and I would think you will have a very good Match rifle indeed..
I have become quite fond of these awesome old rifles, as not only are they wonderful guns by any measure they are also full of interesting history..

Good luck with your matches, maybe you could post up on my FINN thread some PICS and results once you get her out.. :beer:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=227187

lew
April 05, 2009, 10:08
The date on the tang must have been scrubbed or struck very lightly and was lost if the receiver was refinished, as there's no date aside from the "1944" on the top of the receiver. The only other mark is a "B" (not in a circle) and what looks like the head of the Tula hammer marking next to it on the top side of the tang.

Mike, what do you know, it is an "S.K.Y."

:devil: :D

sld
April 05, 2009, 20:01
A sky model would have Sky where your B is.

m39 markings (http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/mosin_nagant_markings.asp)

sld
April 05, 2009, 21:10
Originally posted by Dirt1042

IIRC, the antique designation only counts if it is a original rifle (unmodified) when it was rebuilt it no longer had a antique status. At least that is what I have read and have been told by my FFL.
Can anybody here clarify this?

biyf
April 06, 2009, 11:17
It seems there's been some crazy price increases on the Polish ones, also. I have a unissued Polish M44 that I gave $99 for several years ago. I was surprised to see they are going for $400 or more in used condition.

Texgunner
April 06, 2009, 14:35
Originally posted by sld

IIRC, the antique designation only counts if it is a original rifle (unmodified) when it was rebuilt it no longer had a antique status. At least that is what I have read and have been told by my FFL.

When I bought my 1970 "no maker" M39 with a 1895 Tula receiver from Pat Burns, it was sold as an antique. It was also described as un-issued. I assume that this was a rifle built in 1970 with a new barrel and stock on the '95 receiver. I don't know if this qualifies as "rebuilt", I'd guess not.
Gary

DYNOMIKE
April 06, 2009, 16:38
Originally posted by biyf
It seems there's been some crazy price increases on the Polish ones, also. I have a unissued Polish M44 that I gave $99 for several years ago. I was surprised to see they are going for $400 or more in used condition.

There are no Polish M-39's, and while an "Un-issued" POLISH M-44 may bring $300.00-$400.00 I have not seen used ones sell for that much at least not yet.

Originally posted by Texgunner
When I bought my 1970 "no maker" M39 with a 1895 Tula receiver from Pat Burns, it was sold as an antique. It was also described as un-issued. I assume that this was a rifle built in 1970 with a new barrel and stock on the '95 receiver. I don't know if this qualifies as "rebuilt", I'd guess not.
Gary

While no expert I would say it was just one of the many Mosins converted to M-39 Specs.. IMHO the Antique receiver just adds to the Cool HISTORY factor.. Although I guess technically it was "Re-Built" I don't think in this case that has any negative meaning at all...

Dirt1042
April 06, 2009, 16:41
Originally posted by sld

My FFL says that the receiver is the gun. The feds only look to that for the date. These are of course bolt guns so there is no other worries as with potential "machine guns" or whatever.