PDA

View Full Version : Heads up - AUSSIE KITS at Sportsman's guide

NEWFNL1A1
April 03, 2009, 22:52
You guys probably already know about these but just in case.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=427266

"All-genuine L1A1 replacement parts Kit made by Lithgow of Australia. Includes 1 magazine, all wooden furniture and all small parts.

No barrel, though. These Kits are probably some of the last available Lithgow Kits since Australia has since phased out their FALs. So now's the time to strike! Condition: Used, in good condition. " $299.00

msnyder
April 04, 2009, 20:17
"So now's the time to strike!"

I thought these were a decent deal when IO had them for $150 but $299 is pushing it. You can still get kits with barrells on GB and the files for under $500.

LandCruiser
April 08, 2009, 09:29
Unfortunately, they're NOT friendly to Peoples Repubic of California customers, as stated on their website.

"WARNING: Assault Rifle Parts cannot be shipped to CA; Chicago, IL; New York City; NJ; D.C.; MA; Canada or Puerto Rico. Please check your State, County and City laws for restrictions before ordering Assault Rifle Parts."

Too bad, I was gonna order up a dozen or so...:eek:

flyer
April 08, 2009, 12:34
I wonder how rusty they are?

nopain
April 08, 2009, 14:20
Can't imagine they'd be much worse than the box of dog doo that I.O. sent me for $199

LandCruiser
April 09, 2009, 08:49
You think these are the exact same except for pricing?

nopain, how badly does the IO kit stink? are we talking mildly vomitous or projectile vomitous. Mild frosting in the bore or is there a full blown Chicago snowstorm?

Has anyone bought one of the Sportsmansguide kits, and can you comment on the condition.

msnyder
April 09, 2009, 09:32
"Mild frosting in the bore or is there a full blown Chicago snowstorm?"

Bores are immaculate! Unfortunately the barrels are chopped up.

W.E.G.
April 09, 2009, 09:38
Originally posted by msnyder
Bores are immaculate! Unfortunately the barrels are chopped up.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/FAL%20parts%20pics/barrelchoppedL1A1.jpg

LandCruiser
April 09, 2009, 10:36
My bad, moot point.

nopain
April 09, 2009, 20:31
I can't say with certainty that the ones from SG will be in the same condition as the one I received from I.O. They will have chopped barrels. Too bad, the bore in my kit was mirror bright in excellent condition - what a waste. I was ticked off when I opened the box and the first thing I saw was a set of beat up STG hand grips. For $199, I knew I wasn't going to get excellent grade parts, but I was expecting them to be L1A1. I called I.O. to express my concern, and the gal that I talked to couldn't get what my concern was. Grips is grips, right? NOT! When I suggested that they make an adjustment, they all of a sudden "found" a set of wood L1A1 hand grips and promised to send them out to me. OK - right thing to do. I finally started degreasing/cosmoline removal list night. There were a couple of pleasent surprises. This was one of the PNG version. Nice PNG flash hider on the barrel end chunk. The other surprise was the condition of the wood - not soaked in cosmoline/grease and actually in decent shape. The only significant dings on the buttstock and pistol grip were fresh ones, likely from rough handling during or after the demil. Plus the butstock was the appropriate short one correct for the PNG model. Everthing will clean up well. All-in-all, I got my moneys worth. I now plan to do a L1A1 PNG build (just to be a little different) with a like-new unmarked ausie barrel that I have. It'll be interesting to see what I.O. sends me as hand grips. So it turns out that this pile of doo doesn't stink too bad.

Originally posted by LandCruiser
You think these are the exact same except for pricing?

nopain, how badly does the IO kit stink? are we talking mildly vomitous or projectile vomitous. Mild frosting in the bore or is there a full blown Chicago snowstorm?

Has anyone bought one of the Sportsmansguide kits, and can you comment on the condition.

nopain
April 10, 2009, 10:17
SG's had a "Price Rollback" on these to $249.97 (interesting because they haven't shipped any yet - the pre-sale response must not have been what they expected, or they reevaluated the market, or they have boat-load to get rid of). Anyway, I bit. With $10 off coupon (here is a coupon code good until 4/16/09 -- SG342) and 10% buyers club discount (if you are a member), add in MN sales tax ($15.76 less if out-of-state), and shipping -- total $249.41 delivered. I'll let you know what shows up when it arrives.

LandCruiser
April 10, 2009, 12:06
I don't know if you're looking for the L1A1 barrel, but here's a link to Colorado Gun Sales.

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=4&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=142&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

They also have the Australian L1A1 kit listed for $249.95. I don't know if they have any in stock, I didn't check. The kit in the photo doesn't look half bad. SG probably did some comparison shopping on the internet and discovered they were over-priced?

nopain
April 10, 2009, 12:49
Thanks for the link. Has anyone had experience with the barrel from CGS?

nawck
April 10, 2009, 13:46
The SG kits are virtually the same as the IO kits except the sportman's guide wood is unusable. Same torch cuts to the barrels, same cuts on the receivers, same NZ pitted lowers, just 68 era instead of 64.

naWick

nopain
April 14, 2009, 14:59
Just received one of the $249 Sportsman's Guide L1A1 kits today. As mentioned above, torch cut barrels. These are the same thing that I.O. was selling for $199 -- 1966 vintage aussie built F1 type kit with short stock and PNG F1 flash hider. Missing a hand guard. Good news was lower was not pitted under pistol grip, wood about par except pistol grip and trigger guard unusable (no biggy). Rest of the bits and pieces in usable condition. This now gives me enough parts for 2 L1A1 builds (an F1 and one in NZ dress).