PDA

View Full Version : S&W 10-5??

tracyballard
March 31, 2009, 20:15
Smith model 10-5, nickel chrome with lightish brown wood grips, square butt. does S&W make a current mod 10 like this? if not, how long since this could have been made? barrel marked .38 S&W Special CTG.

bykerhd
March 31, 2009, 20:28
The series 10-3, 10-5, or whatever, and the serial number will nail it right down.
Pop the cylinder open and the series will probably be stamped right in there.
Ask here with that info, or do some Googling or check the Smith & Wesson Forums. Shouldn't be hard to sort out. It is likely a couple or so decades old.

1911guy
March 31, 2009, 20:32
Smith has a Model 10 in their current catalog with a MSRP of $758. It's a great .38 special but with all the ones available used I would try to get one of them. It is fairly easy to run across a police department trade in or another used 10 in the 250+ range. I have no idea when the 10-5 was made. Wouldn't matter to me. I prefer the older Smiths to the new ones with the lawyer lock.

tracyballard
March 31, 2009, 20:35
how long since they put CTG on the barrel, is that current?

Hoot G
April 01, 2009, 01:14
tracyballard, the 10-5 was made from 1962-1977, the longest production run of the Model 10 without a major design change. The serial number (you can XXX out the last three if you want) will tell the approximate year it was shipped from the factory. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson has the info. List it here or email me and I'll look it up for ya.

S&W never used chrome, it's just nickel. My favorite finish on a S&W. ;)

It's arguable, but I'd say no, they don't make the classic M10 any more. Ever since they extended the frame and started drilling that ugly lock hole, they just aren't the same gun. Maybe I'm old fashioned and a traditionalist when it comes to revolvers.

Or maybe it's just the politics of it...

tracyballard
April 01, 2009, 12:12
I'm just looking at photos of the gun, and there's no serial on the frame where the cylinder swings up, just the 10-5 stamp (and the stamp is so light it's hard to tell if the 0 is a 3 or 0).

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/6831/smith105.th.jpg (http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smith105.jpg)

if this is 60's-70's production, that narrows it down enough for me for the moment...

tracyballard
April 01, 2009, 12:21
Originally posted by Lewis Wetzel
S&W mod. 10s......as with the 10/22s, Ruger Mark II .22 pistol, the short-barreled 12 gauge shotgun, EVERYONE should have one in their armory.....

dang, I don't have any of those either.:( Right now I'm down to my Smith 915 on active duty, and in reserve I have a Star Mod 28, a 1911-style .45 that I built myself, and a Nagant revolver that I keep loaded in the bathroom (just kidding, so far). Plus my Yugo SKS and home built FAL.

I know for a fact that I must have:

Another revolver or 2
Mossberg 590 with bayo lug
a DAO 9mm
a 10mm pistol
a Ruger single action .357, .44 mag or 45 LC
Ruger 10/22
Ruger Mini-30 to go with my SKS

I used to have about 30+ guns laying around but I got to the point where I forgot what all I had, so I sold most of them on GB for inflated prices, like the Bersa .45 I just sold and am replacing.

Hoot G
April 01, 2009, 12:35
The serial number is on the bottom of the butt. Earlier guns had the s/n in a number of places, but later models only on the butt. Also, the grips may be numbered on the inside of the right panel.

If those grips are original, that further narrows the time-line. The diamond grip was eliminated about 1968, so these are later than that. The diamond was around the screw.

If it were a 13-5, it would be a treasure, as there weren't many made (1997-99). But, they were .357 Magnum (so noted on the barrel) and the 13-5 used a MIM hammer an trigger. The hammer on the one in this photo is forged. My bet is that this is a 10-5.

Sweet!