PDA

View Full Version : Removing the buttstock.

crsswift70
March 31, 2009, 12:59
I have not yet attempted removing it as i've heard horror stories about springs ejecting, screws flying, etc... Can i take the stock off at the receiver by taking out the screw in the bottom? Can i remove the rear buttplate without a part flying out? The diagram and pics i see show a tube from the lower receiver in to the buttstock. Is this one contained piece, meaning i can just pull the buttstock off to work on or replace it? Thanks!

nawck
March 31, 2009, 13:45
On my Inch receiver, I used a big screwdriver to loosen the recoil tube nut (on the butt pad end) and turned it out about 1/4 inch. Then I put a cleaning rod (about 9 inches long with a plastic T handle) in the hole and slid it all the way until the cleaning rod handle was about a half inch from the nut. I spun it out with a small blade screwdriver and when it came loose, the amount of force was very anticlimactic. But I can see how it would really fly without a rod in it.

On my metric receiver I took the same cleaning rod (which was broken) and melted a 1/4 inch pin into the plastic T handle to act like a key. I loosened the nut in the same way with a big screwdriver, and then used the cleaning rod. It worked very well. In fact it worked better than the stock tool I got a few days later, because the stock tool blade fits the L1A1 nut but it gets jammed in the slot of the Metric nut.

Have the best day ever.

naWick

crsswift70
March 31, 2009, 14:06
Can i take out the screw under the lower receiver that holds the stock, and just remove the stock leaving the recoil tube whole?

RPBII
March 31, 2009, 14:17
You will have to remove the butt stock screw to remove the stock. Use a metal tent peg, a piece of .22 cal. cleaning rod, or something similar to control the spring. It's not that bad to do.

crsswift70
March 31, 2009, 14:23
OK then, i guess i will brave the spring. I saw a pic somewhere of someone's face that had spring marks (grease) wrapped around from their ear across both eyes. :) didn't look painful, but could have been bad.

Rick-a-Roo
March 31, 2009, 17:53
nawck, is that to say that a different tool is required for the inch pattern from that for metric?

nawck
March 31, 2009, 18:17
Originally posted by Rick-a-Roo
nawck, is that to say that a different tool is required for the inch pattern from that for metric?

Nope, the tool should fit both. And with a few seconds with a file it will.

naWick

crsswift70
March 31, 2009, 19:44
Well, i accomplished it with a piece of cleaning rod, a rag and a flat head screwdriver. I thought putting it back in would be more difficult, but i manage OK. Thanks all.

RPBII
March 31, 2009, 19:55
Your welcome.