PDA

View Full Version : Post and pre samples ?

ramrod45
March 27, 2009, 09:46
Shopping for a full auto FAL. Have run across the term "Post Samples" and "Pre Samples" on the web sites for class 3 weapon sales.

What do they mean post or pre samples ?

dirtyrice
March 27, 2009, 09:53
You (a person that is not an ffl and does not pay an sot) can not own them. Post sample means a machine that is made NOW it can only be owned by ffl's who pay a yearly tax called an sot and to law enforcement/mil.

A pre sample sometimes called a pre-may refers to a gun that was imported as a dealer sample between 68 and 86. In 68 the gun control act was passed which made it so civilians could no longer order FA fn's straight from herstal in belgium or any other country but we could still have guns legally converted until 86.

If an ffl that pays an sot has pre-sample guns they get to keep them even if they stop paying their sot. But if they ever sell them it must be to an sot or leo agency.

If they're post samples they must be demilled or transfered when they give up their sot.

(i'm not a lawyer this is just what I believe to be true)

I'm sure someone else will correct me if i'm wrong.

Post samples are the least expensive. (i.e. usually what the gun really costs like little over 1k for an mp5 etc etc)

Pre samples will be sometimes half as much as a transferable but not as cheap as a post sample.

And fully transferable guns are the most expensive because everyone can own them.

Prototype Services
March 27, 2009, 14:31
DR is right. To confuse it further, sometimes you find machineguns that are "C&R" eligible.

None of them are cheap....

dirtyrice
March 27, 2009, 15:12
Oh yeah c&r.

It can transfer directly to someone that holds a C&R and still requires a $200 tax. Ofcourse the paperwork must still be filed. These also carry a higher price because they can be transferred directly to a type 01 (dealer of firearms) or 03(C&R) ffl. Meaning if you have a c&r they can ship it to your house. Which is just awesome.

Also some states (you'd have to look it up) only allow c&r mg's which restricts what you can buy ofcourse and you'll be sticking with ww2 stuff probably.

All other transferables must go through a 01 or higher that pays an sot which means higher transfer fee plus the $200 tax. The transfer fee could be from $100-whatever the fug they wanna charge you really. I've heard of alot of people being told a little north or south of 200 dollars.

http://www.reffittarmsllc.com/how%20to%20buy.html
Heres a good site with all the terms defined.

BlasterLP
March 28, 2009, 20:15
dirtyrice has given a pretty straightforward well defined explanation to this subject in my uneducated opinion on this. Great job sir!