PDA

View Full Version : Hornaday "Garand ammo"

kayakpirate
March 24, 2009, 21:57
Anybody hear,see or use any of this? Has a 168 grain bullet with "V-max" something or other.Suppose to be a hunting round you can use in a Garand,without exposing it to burning pressures that are too fast or too much chamber pressures.
Anyway...whats the consensus?

MAINER
March 25, 2009, 09:34
The only references I find are loads with their "A-max" 168gr bullet in Garand loads. This is more of a Match load than for hunting. I don't know if Hornady recommends A-max bullet for game or not.

This is a 30-06 loaded to 2710fps with a medium burn rate powder (IMR-4064?)to match the pressure curve requirement of Garands and other gas guns.

I wouldn't hunt with this load untill I checked out the A-max bullet capibilities.

kayakpirate
March 25, 2009, 10:36
Yes! Thanks! Thats exactly the info I was hoping for! Why couldnt they stick a Nosler ballistic tip,some other game hunting style point on the round?I would love to find a round for hunting with my Garand,( as its the only 30-06 I have ).
I've seen recommendations,but they all seem like compromises.Am I wrong? Or is this the only commercial round designed with the garand operation in mind?
Thanks for the input,I appreciate your time.I'm just a little disappointed that the best anybody can come up with is a "Match" round,that has minimized ballistic capability.No pun intended,but whats the point?

StoneyCreekMrMauser
March 25, 2009, 17:54
John C. Garand matches.

kayakpirate
March 25, 2009, 18:09
Granted...or should that be Garanded? Anyway...yeah sure matches,but what about something that I can use on game?

MAINER
March 25, 2009, 18:26
I'm taking this to mean you don't reload? Pretty easy handloading task to stick a 165 Nosler BT or other game bullet into a 30-06 case with some IMR 4895 or 4064 powder in it.

Any reloading Fal Files members in your area, maybe work out a trade?

kayakpirate
March 25, 2009, 18:38
Yeah,youre right...handloading is the way to go.Its just that after all this time no one can make commercial hunting ammo for the Garand? I mean its not like the stuff wouldnt sell...

richbug
March 26, 2009, 06:39
The A-max performs identically to the Ballistic Tip on game. It kills stuff dead, little hole in, damn big hole out, soupy jello in between.

kayakpirate
March 26, 2009, 08:00
Oh...well,thats more like it! Now we're talking! So it can perform as a game round.Thanks for the info,

fire for effect
March 28, 2009, 17:37
168grain A-max Bullet loaded with 50 grains of Varget.