PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Intel

Mainframe
March 23, 2009, 07:00
Folks,

I think that I'm ready to join the bullpup world.

I've started gathering information about the MSAR and what I've seen so far, I like. But a couple of questions still remain. F'rinstance, some models have a forward assist on the left side of the receiver and some don't; is there another way to assist the bolt into battery or has that been done away with? Some models I see have a 1.5x optic mounted and others have a rail; if I get one with the optic, can I swap it out with a rail (or vice-versa)?

If/when I get enough info to satisfy me, I guess I'll drop the hammer and get one; if not, well, I guess I'll wait before dropping $2K on a new toy (plus several hundred on mags).

Ed

Mainframe
March 25, 2009, 09:38
My search for information regarding the MSAR is over; I found what I was specifically looking for plus things that I hadn't even considered.

armed1
March 26, 2009, 18:40
The forward assist is not part of the original design and is an unnecessary appendage. The MSAR models without the forward assist accept Steyr mags which are available and relatively cheap. The ones with the FA will only accept MSAR mags. The AUG is a great CQB rifle. As a semi auto, it loses some effectiveness compared to full auto. It is not a match rifle and will not produce groups like a well tuned AR. This is mainly because of the trigger which is a beast. I dont know of any aftermarket trigger improvements.

eodinert
March 27, 2009, 22:53
It's called the 'trigger tamer' as I recall.

mdlmkr 7.62
March 29, 2009, 22:58
I love mine. Zero problems so far. The only thing I wish was better is the mag changes....

Very compact and good accuracy. Less "through the stock" noise than an AR. I like the ergonomics.

lawdog
March 30, 2009, 08:56
If you can wait until April, word coming from MSAR is that they are releasing their A3 stock, which will allow the use of all of those AR mags that most of us already own. Price information on the new model was not forthcoming, however $249 is the price being mentioned for getting a new stock to retrofit the existing STGs.

Mad Dog 7.62
April 01, 2009, 21:32
Originally posted by armed1
The forward assist is not part of the original design and is an unnecessary appendage.

You could easily argue that the FA is an unnecessary appendage on all the AR-15/M-16/M-4's etc. ever built as well, but apparently Colt and the US military thought they had a purpose. :wink: If you ever need to chamber a round somewhat quietly and have to ride the bolt forward, that FA is kinda nice to have to make sure you don't get a big fat "CLICK" when it comes time to drop the hammer.

MD

armed1
April 04, 2009, 20:44
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62
If you ever need to chamber a round somewhat quietly and have to ride the bolt forward, that FA is kinda nice to have to make sure you don't get a big fat "CLICK" when it comes time to drop the hammer.

I guess if you're a Ninja.

:biggrin:

cliffg
April 09, 2009, 21:58
Originally posted by armed1
It is not a match rifle and will not produce groups like a well tuned AR. This is mainly because of the trigger which is a beast. Au contraire. I can't speak for the MSAR, but the Steyr AUG I have had for 24 years is THE most accurate production rifle I have ever owned. Yes, the trigger takes some getting used to, but you can get get the hang of it. I have, from a bench, placed 10 rounds in a 1-inch circle at 100 meters. On more than one occasion. At my old range I would show up for the weekend pickup matches or DCM matches, and more often than not end up in the top 10. Really pissed off the M-1NM old-timers (several tried to have the AUG disqualified because of the optic).

Lee Carpentieri
April 10, 2009, 00:17
I've had 3 Augs that were all Steyr 901 series and one was a full-auto transferable. The only problem I found and was a quick cure was the sleeve that the spring hooks onto. Once one of the S looking tits brakes the weapon would stsrt jamming. Replaced the sleeve and firing pin with spring to the newer at the time A2 parts and problem was cured. I've since sold all my Augs as the one thing that always bugged me was shooting the Aug and out of the corner of my eye watching the brass fly past my cheek. One Aug was an A1 special reciever and even with a rail extension i still didn't like the brass coming out the ejection port that close to my face. If you've ever fired an Aug with the 24 inch heavy barrel, Accurracy picks up alot. with that barrel on one of my Augs I was able to shoot sub MOA groups with match grade ammo at 100 yards.
Personally, If you want an Aug that bad I would wait for the new Steyr A3 Aug. No telling how much longer MSAR is going to be in business as MSAR/MicroTech has numerous lawsuits filed against them here in Florida and North Carolina and other states due to lack of payment to material suppliers that I know for a fact.