PDA

View Full Version : Nr 1 Mk III* SMLE

BULLDOG
March 22, 2009, 10:02
Just came across a Lithgow. All numbers match, including the beautiful Aussie maple stock. Just curious though, I checked the years of manfacture on this model from Lithgow Arms, and the last year manfactured was 1918. Mine has a 1920 manfacture year. I'm sure this rifle is authentic. I would say the bore is in excellent shape (some haze, strong lans/grooves).

mitchellh
March 22, 2009, 13:20
Post some pictures.

Can't answer your question, but Tiki over
here (http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=c2dd50a4756c2965f1bec14945aa8a04) could.

BULLDOG
March 22, 2009, 15:02
Hardly have time to do anything, but drop in right now. I know that all the arsenal proof are correct, i.e., 7 point star with A in certer, lithgow seal, and armorer marks on bolt handle. Just thought it was strange that the reference I checked on was so through, yet it shows my this rifle not to be be manfactured. Thanks for responding.

SEMPER FI

Para Driver
March 22, 2009, 17:35
spare parts gun, or rebuild

ActionYobbo
March 23, 2009, 07:09
lithgow made them untill 1944
there is a gap in production in the depression.
they did make some guns in the 1930's but they went to the navy and most went to the bottom of the ocean. HMAS sydney has all the 1933 and 1934 produced rifles on it.
if its 1920's it should have the lithgow sheild. it was dropped for later production. I will buy it.

BULLDOG
March 23, 2009, 09:05
Yes, it has the shield. Inside the shield is LITHGOW SHT.LE III*. Above it the star with A inside, below it is 1920.

Some times, people get published by a company that doesn't have any technical people. My feeling is as stated, it was made in 1920 by Lithgow. It appears to be a second run on the ser # since it is preceeded with an "A". The serial # is A666##.

It will be fun to shoot, I'm sure.

A side note, the sling is an authentic Enfield sling, dated 1913. This thing has been in some old lady's attic for years.

I will try and post/email pictures when I have time.

THX for the comments, and input. As stated I don't really know alot about the the SMLE, other than a hell of a lot of them were made, and it was an British Commonwealth rifle.

SEMPER FI