PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 MADE IN CANADA

nuttygun
March 16, 2009, 18:50
:fal: I just bought a Century Arms with the thumb hole stock for 600 bucks. I always wanted a fal but could never find one cheap enough when I had the money in my pocket. All the threads I have been reading don't seem to cover this particular sporter ...So I need some help with identification and modification of the thumb hole to the pistol grip and I know I don't need it but a flash suppresser!

First the lower receiver where the clip goes It reads "MADE IN CANADA"

Right side of the frame reads "L1A1 sporter
cal .308
C A I -St Alb Vt"

On the left side it reads " UB 58 A14xxx" there is also 3 indents

S
O

R
O O

Bolt reads "UB A xxxx" front site "UB A59 " folding handle " B 60" trigger guard "A1" trigger reads a half D or B and then 64 and on the other side there is an arrow pointing up...

Is this all Brit and is that inch or metric is it worth putting a grip(good wood or cheap plastic) and flash suppressor on and is it legal and if I changed the barrel would any legal issues...is the british good? What ever you can tell me would be appreciated!

msnyder
March 16, 2009, 19:08
UB and B markings indicate British heritage. Brit guns are great! Rethread the barrel and attach a flash hider. Take off the thumbhole stock and put on pistol grip and buttstock. Screws for the thumbhole are located under the rubber butt pade. Poke a screw driver around the rubber end pad to locate.
Get your 7 US parts to be compliant. If it takes metric mags you can use the new DSA metric mag for 3 of your parts. Hammer, trigger and sear can be bought from gunthings.com and then you just need a US piston from Tapco or DSA. Reciever is Imbel or Argentine and in todays market you got a steal for $600. Hope this helps.

eagle54
March 17, 2009, 13:26
If the Serial Number starts with 111 - Imbel Inch Receiver Cut to use Metric mags .

Firestarter
March 17, 2009, 21:42
Does the serial number on the receiver begin with a C? Probably an Argy receiver. Does the mag catch cut in the reciever look like the shape of a thumbnail or more like a rectangle? Thumbnail is metric.

Disassemble the upper from the lower. If there is a dip cut in the hinge block it is an Argy receiver.

I have a thread in general firearms discussion called "Pimp my FAL". I found a Canadian built century for $550 with a hythe rear sight and built on an Argentine receiver if you want to see the difference in the hinge block cut I described.

The place did not know a damn thing about FAL rifles that I purchased it from. (Lock and key shop with an FFL).

nuttygun
March 19, 2009, 18:43
:aug: I just bought a 9/16 x 24 rh die for like 35 bucks and I was going to thread my barrel and see if anybody else wanted to buy it for 35 I would ship for free?:D :? I'd like to know where to get the key and the pin for my canadian 5 slot if not I'll LokTite it.:mad:

Firestarter
March 19, 2009, 22:33
Originally posted by nuttygun
:aug: I just bought a 9/16 x 24 rh die for like 35 bucks and I was going to thread my barrel and see if anybody else wanted to buy it for 35 I would ship for free?:D :? I'd like to know where to get the key and the pin for my canadian 5 slot if not I'll LokTite it.:mad:

Threading a barrel isn't as easy as it may seem. I think that Gunpartsguy may have the pin and key though.