PDA

View Full Version : "New" Mauser sporter for my GP rifle....

dogngun
March 14, 2009, 08:29
Just brought home a 98K Mauser that was sporterized probably in the early 1960's - rebarelled to .308 Win, has a very nice walnut sporter stock and good quality workmanship - jeweled bolt, beautiful blue, very smooth re-worked mil trigger. I am adding an old Redfield 2x7 scope I found in the same shop - the rifle has old Weaver steel mounts already on it and an older 4x imported scope.

I am 61, retired and I want to use this rifle for my GP rifle till I'm too old to use it anymore. I wanted something a little different but reliable and interesting came across the Mauser in a small local shop.

The whole rig will cost under $350.
I have had a few older good quality sporterized rifles before, but not one so well done as this one. As soon as I have it finished - I am lightly refinishing the stock and adding the new scope, I'll try to get a pic up here, but I'm very happy with this old rifle right now, and just wanted to pass it along.

mark

olgier
March 14, 2009, 08:59
sounds sweet. u gotta post a pic. :biggrin:

MAINER
March 14, 2009, 09:31
Congradulations! :bow:

I look for rifles like that, but Bubba beats me to most of 'em. :(

Goliad
March 14, 2009, 09:42
Very nice. Congratulations.

I've got lots of Mausers, including a couple of high dollar customs. But the rifle I carry the most is a sporterized 98 in 30:06 with a synthetic stock, Timney trigger, and a mid range scope. It shoots where I hold and is always ready to go huntin'. There is something elegant about "stuff that works".

Ron Walker
March 14, 2009, 12:07
My personal favorite in my collection is a small ring Mexican 98 in 6.5x55 in a synthetic stock , Timney Trigger and 3x9 scope. Weighs just under 7# loaded and easily does 3/4" @ 100 yards. Ron

bykerhd
March 14, 2009, 12:19
Sounds nice.
I would suggest looking in to some different scope rings.
The old Weaver steel rings that screwed down on just one side had a nasty habit of damaging aluminum scope tubes.
Get some Redfield or Leupold turn in types if you want them to be correct looking for the age of the rifle.
They also offer some built in windage adjustment.:wink:

dogngun
March 15, 2009, 12:03
I have a set of new steel rings that I want to use, despite not being "correct" - they are lower and Weaver style, and should hold that old Redfield without damage.

I read a few posts elsewhere about old Mauser sporters not being known for accuracy, but I have been shooting various Mauser rifles for nearly 40 years and have not had any problems with any of them

I'm glad to see there are still some who appreciate these old rifles.

Just waiting for the linseed oil to dry and the WWII Kar98 sling to arrive from Numrich, will try pics next week.

Thanks for the responses.

mark

ADDED: With the 4x scope and current Weaver rings, but no sling or swivels, it weighs about 7 3/4 pounds.

bykerhd
March 15, 2009, 12:48
There is a tendency these days to label any conversion of a military rifle as a job done by "Bubba".
While some, many unfortunately, really do fit that description, there are some which are truly excellent and should be a treasure to own.

Fortunately, the stigma of the "Bubba" label has kept prices down on most conversions that I've seen. :wink:
Have fun with your rifle.

DeputyVaughn
March 16, 2009, 10:11
Love to see pictures......

P.S. I want one...........

Scott

Regal Beagal
March 16, 2009, 18:31
We Need Pics!!! and many of 'em..... I agree with Goliad there's something about those things that just simply work. I have built several custom mausers and am in the process of converting a Preduzece 44 model 98 into a .257 Roberts carbine for my 12 yo daughter. Don't worry purists, this one is non-matching and the barrel is shot out so that's why I am using it otherwise I would have restocked it and added it to my collection...:cool: Anyway, great find...!

Bykerhd, I have to ask where you live because the fun/spawn shops located in my area ask the same price for a "Bubbafied" mauser as a prestine all original mauser? That's why I end up shoppin' the auction sites......

bykerhd
March 16, 2009, 20:06
Regal Beagal, what I meant was that the "sporterized" rifles usually don't sell for much, if any, more than a half-way decent original.

I saw a 1917 with a tag around $ 250 ? recently. A 1903 Springfield for under $ 400. The Springfield was drilled & tapped for scope with a Lyman receiver sight and a nice sporter stock. Also, several Mausers running $ 150(very ugly) up to about $300.
Decent 1917s & 1903s sell for about twice or more of what the chopped up versions were being offered for. Mausers ? who knows what they were originally.

I don't think some of these guys got back what they had invested. :rolleyes:
Several were very nice rifles though.:wink:

splogan
March 16, 2009, 23:10
I have a war bring back 98k my Grandfather brought back. He sporterized it back in the 50's. Nice walnut stock and some fancy sights(for the time). Nice rifle. I wish I had the one that came back with it that was not altered.

cookiemonster
June 28, 2009, 14:18
I love my sporter Brno in 308.

Handloading is a really fun thing as I can seat out heavier bullets and put a slightly heavier powder charge down. Brings it around the area where 30-06 normally outshines the 308.

Of course, I don't suggest anyone do this...I know my rifle and I know what it can and cannot handle...Plus using powders chosen to keep pressures down and my chrony I can chose when to stop and not go overboard.

tac-40
June 28, 2009, 20:54
The price one pays for a gun is what that person feels is reasonable. What he wants to do with the gun is up to him. dogngun was looking for a particular type of rifle and he found it, and at a price he was willing to pay.

dogngun, make sure you post pictures when you have it done along with a range report.

Within this sport there are several catagories of gun owners. One is the purist. He wants the particular gun to be in as issued or original condition. He will accept no others and looks down on any that have been modified. Another is the practical owner. He knows what he wants and does not care what has been done to a gun as long as it was done correctly and does what he wants it to do. Bubba's are the owners that take a nice gun and butcher it, changing its shape and function without regard on doing it properly or safely.

In my collection I have many weapons that are as close to original as possible. I am also working on converting a 95 Mauser into a nice hunting rifle. It most likely will not be the original caliber but it will be done correctly and safely.