PDA

View Full Version : .45 ACP Suppressor. Best?

larphred
March 11, 2009, 20:42
Am looking forward to the Obamafication of our nation. In doing so, I am trying to pick up on some of the goodies that I'll assume will be missing from future markets.
Latest goal is a good, but reasonably priced suppressor for one of my .45 ACP pistols. Have been looking at 700.00-900.00 range, but what I really want is the least "bang" for my buck. In other words, a quiet, solid can that won't break the bank.
Any suggestions from the "can guys"?
Really haven't decided which of my pistols it will go on, but I'll have to buy a threaded barrel for whatever I decide to use it on, so thread pattern is not an issue--just .45 caliber.
Thanks

Artful
March 11, 2009, 23:49
Well, Best Suppression is
KAC's @ over $1100, if you can find one in stock
Next in order of suppression
AAC Evo-45 MSRP 895
HTG Cycle-2 MSRP 718 ( street about 600)
SWR Hems2 MSRP 745
unknown in the mix is the ...
New cleanable YHM Cobra M2 MSRP 595 (street about 500)

couple of places to check...
http://www.major-malfunction.com
http://www.politesocietyinc.com

and of course your out $200 on top for tax stamp - and any dealer fee's and or charges for pic's prints etc.

Only one that supposed to be hearing safe fired dry is KAC's per Paulson's testing but they all are when fired "wet" with ablative media.
April 2009's Special Weapons for Military & Police mag #74 has a write up on the HEMS II by Paulson.

AAC has a Vaporware Black Box that supposedly was quieter than KAC but they won't produce unless they get a military contract and the contract it was developed for was canceled by the military...so I guess don't hold your breath.

larphred
March 12, 2009, 16:30
Thanks Artful. Impact Guns is about an hour away from me and they have the AAC Evolution, YHM Cobra, and Gemtech Blackside cans in stock. Think I'll mosey up there and take a look and talk with the salesperson. Thanks for your help.

Artful
March 13, 2009, 00:44
I'd ask to take a listen - Gemtech has two models of blackside - I only know what people have said about the one that didn't have a LID/Nelsen and most were not favorable - YMMV but I don't know that I'd put it on my list of possibles.

T210driver
March 13, 2009, 09:51
Originally posted by Artful
I'd ask to take a listen - Gemtech has two models of blackside - I only know what people have said about the one that didn't have a LID/Nelsen and most were not favorable - YMMV but I don't know that I'd put it on my list of possibles.

I have the Blackside without LID on a Glock 21 using a Barsto barrel. Other than an initial failure to feed on the first five rounds, I have not had any problems since; however, the volume of chatter about the Blackside does seem to indicate that the lighweight can without a LID may not work as reliably on a variety of pistols as was hoped. Additionaly, running it "wet" is pretty much a given.

I like my Blackside, but there are probably more reliable choices for not much more (if any) money.

later,
Derace

ds762
March 13, 2009, 12:16
Suppressed Armament (http://www.sas-llc.us/)

check em out!

larphred
March 13, 2009, 12:55
I do have an SAS can coming for my .308-----the BATF wait is killing me.

ds762
March 13, 2009, 15:23
Originally posted by larphred
I do have an SAS can coming for my .308-----the BATF wait is killing me.

I have one coming as well to be used on an SBR AR-15 in .300 Whisper .. the ATF F3 was approved on Feb. 12 and my dealer has yet to receive my can. My patience is slightly growing thin ....... :rolleyes:

rocko
March 13, 2009, 18:51
Question: do you have any other suppressors? If not, I would recommend against .45 as a first. It is much harder to suppress than a 9mm - the can will be bigger, and you will need to shoot it "wet" to get even similar performance vs. a 9mm can shot dry.

You might be thinking "but factory 230gr .45 is subsonic, and I'd need to buy 'special' loads for 9mm!". Try to avoid that thought. 147gr subsonics aren't that hard to come by these days, and just another reason to reload...

Of course, for plain old fun, nothing beats .22 suppressed.

Artful
March 13, 2009, 22:11
Originally posted by T210driver

I have the Blackside without LID on a Glock 21 using a Barsto barrel. Other than an initial failure to feed on the first five rounds, I have not had any problems since; however, the volume of chatter about the Blackside does seem to indicate that the lighweight can without a LID may not work as reliably on a variety of pistols as was hoped. Additionaly, running it "wet" is pretty much a given.

I like my Blackside, but there are probably more reliable choices for not much more (if any) money.

later,
Derace

That's the thing about the KAC it's less than 140 db over 80% DRY in Paulson's test report - Evo-45 was hearing safe (less than 140 db) about 60% when shot DRY. vs. Hems 2 at 142 db. - All seem to run mid to high 120's wet.

AAC's vaporware blackbox was supposed to be 100% hearing safe all the time. Which is why I'm waiting for my 45 pistol can, either AAC will release it, or someone else will duplicate or better their results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRk8DNMizw4

Artful
March 13, 2009, 22:14
Originally posted by rocko
Question: do you have any other suppressors? If not, I would recommend against .45 as a first. It is much harder to suppress than a 9mm - the can will be bigger, and you will need to shoot it "wet" to get even similar performance vs. a 9mm can shot dry.

You might be thinking "but factory 230gr .45 is subsonic, and I'd need to buy 'special' loads for 9mm!". Try to avoid that thought. 147gr subsonics aren't that hard to come by these days, and just another reason to reload...

Of course, for plain old fun, nothing beats .22 suppressed.

That's a really good point - when you go to the dealers ask to try a 9mm and 22LR if you haven't already got one of each. Suggestion on 9mm SWR Trident - try it wet and dry with 147 grain (my load 3.5 VV N320 with Berry 147 plated) and 22LR with CCI subsonic.

Skilter
March 13, 2009, 22:26
SWR stuff is great... and spit works fine.:cool:

Varangian
March 15, 2009, 15:06
Cable-pulling gel works the best of everything I've tried.

And it doesn't stink as bad as spit...

Rudolf
March 15, 2009, 17:55
Waiting for my YHM Cobra M2. Hearing it in person and seeing others with it and looking at reviews, it did rather well plus you can break it down.

Cheap too.....

Artful
March 15, 2009, 23:24
Originally posted by Rudolf Cheap too..... [/B]

I do hope you mean inexpensive :tongue:

ramrod45
March 17, 2009, 07:00
Bought two YHM (Yankee Hill Machine) suppressors thru Major-Malfunction at a super great price. Saved enough to pay the tax on one of them ! I did a lot of research on line before I settled on the YHM and Major-Malfunction. All the suppressors that were in my price range had about the same db loss wet and dry. All are stainless. Got the Cobra for my Glock 21 SF with a Lone Wolf Barrel, and their .308 suppressor, QUICK DETACH, for my SA58CP (DS Arms Para FAL). YHM is the only outfit I found that makes a left hand thread flash hider/suppressor QD mount for their .308 suppressor to mount on a FAL. My first suppressor is a AAC Cyclon for my .308 Remington 700 Tactical. It is super quiet with that suppressor. Using a 168 gr Sierra bullet, Winchester brass. 44 gr Varget, and CCI BR-2 primer. 200 yds 2 MOA and the total sound is as if you had clamped your hands !!!!!! It's unbelievable. I love suppressors. Have fun with your new toy. Time is running out for those who wish to own a suppressor. Only the cops, military, and criminals well be able to get one.