PDA

View Full Version : DSA forged FAL recievers

DSARep
March 11, 2009, 07:44
Gang,

I was made aware that there is a forum member falsely claiming DSA's FAL receivers are cast. This is NOT true. As to what his motivations are for saying that, I will not speculate but I am sure members can come up with a few ideas. DSA has ALWAYS sold a forged receiver. In the late 90's through the early 2000's we used a 20 pound billet of forged 4140. That was changed to a drop forging to save waste a few years back (FN used drop forging along with Colt and most companies). There is not a single piece of truth to this cast receiver LIE. DSA has used cast parts like our old HTS sets, but even they are now machined from a billet. If any machinist's say that our receivers are cast they would have to be completely untrained or lack knowledge in metallurgy. In fact a good number of members on the FAL Files have seen the machine cutting the drop forgings (including DSARep). DSA can supply pictures of machines, drop forgings; semi cut receivers and finished receivers.

Please take such forum rumors with a grain of salt. Often sites like this one are used by companies to attack competitors. It is usually pretty obvious when this happens.

http://www.dsarms.com/images/0291CHC.gif

DSA is proud to be the ONLY maker to use forgings for our receivers, and to be following FN and Austrian military specifications while doing so.

Thank you!

John

darkstarmedia
March 11, 2009, 12:27
I think the pictures might be interesting... I take dsa at it's word that they are forged (there has been no substantiated evidence otherwise) but a post on the "Birth of a DSA Receiver" would be cool...

Richard

Lee Carpentieri
March 11, 2009, 13:17
I've been buying DSA receivers since DSA started making them and have NEVER had a problem with them at all. All the BS that some people talk about is totally unfounded about DSA's receivers.

millerphys
March 11, 2009, 13:20
I switched from from m1a's to FAL's BECAUSE they are made from billet/ now forgings. Ignore the muck rackers with more time on their hands than brains. I kiss no companies butt, but I wouldn't buy your gear if it wasn't up to my super high standards.

Now if you would only make another batch of hammer forged barrels
:biggrin:

charles isaac
March 11, 2009, 15:03
Many believe the DSA reciever to be superior to the original FN product, and I would rather trust a DSA recievered FAL built by a knowlegable Files members to the Belgian gun.

And it's made in the good 'ole US of A, by Americans!:cool:

nwobhm
March 11, 2009, 20:43
Originally posted by charles isaac
Many believe the DSA reciever to be superior to the original FN product,

IIRC DSA was offered FN license. DSA turned it down because of cost. FN knows who makes the best FAL receivers too.

Illurian00
March 11, 2009, 20:48
Any idea as to when DSA switched to machined HTS parts ?

AliYahu
March 11, 2009, 22:29
Originally posted by Illurian00
Any idea as to when DSA switched to machined HTS parts ?
Those are billet now? I thought they were still using castings.

Eli

chrsdwns
March 11, 2009, 23:38
DSA receivers are the best ever made for the FAL

DSARep
March 12, 2009, 07:43
When I worked the NRA National Convention for DSA a couple years back, people were going to the FN booth with FAL questions. FN sent them to us.

John

SIG552
March 12, 2009, 16:52
Originally posted by DSARep
When I worked the NRA National Convention for DSA a couple years back, people were going to the FN booth with FAL questions. FN sent them to us.

John

While I respect DSA's reputation and dedication to the FAL rifle, I think this might be because you are continuing to make FN's 60 year old rifle.

I have no doubt however, that the FN staff who worked on the original FAL design would kick your ass on FAL knowledge had they been alive today.

Again, no disprespect to you, but lets keep the respect where it belongs!

:fal:

DSARep
March 13, 2009, 07:42
It is sad to say, those wise individuals have pretty much passed away from what I gather. A lot of collective wisdom about the FAL and other great FN products was lost in their passing.

:(

John

Illurian00
March 13, 2009, 08:48
I have to say , my question still stands.

Topbanana
March 13, 2009, 10:45
Not this shit again.

Please take it elsewhere GP. :redface:

Topbanana
March 13, 2009, 10:54
It would be for the better. I'm still of the opinion that no one is being done a service with this.

Please take this to another forum if you want to start another dust-up.

Even better, take the high road and let it go. Most people on this board know where you stand on the issue Gunplumber.

obremski
March 13, 2009, 12:56
Originally posted by gunplumber
I understand - "don't look and it won't be there!"

It's not 'bury your head in the sand", it's more "that topic deserves it's own thread", I think. Assuming that thread lives more than 3 posts, anyway :D

Back to the topic at hand - I'm kind of interested in why someone would claim DSA's recievers are cast when the ones I've seen (admittidly a sample size of two, but hey, it's more than zero) were pretty obviously forged and machined...

chrsdwns
March 13, 2009, 13:17
Jeez not this shit again.

Look at the F&*king fonts used on the markings for the DSA part on the left and the markings on the Steyr proofed part on the right. They are not the same, nor does the Steyr proofed part on the right include the DSA, Inc marking.

Until very recently, DSA did not put any markings on their HTS sets. To the best of my knowledge, all marked HTS sets made my DSA have had the DSA, Inc engraving on them. None of the DSA HTS sets I have seen have ever used the style of font engraved on the Steyr proofed part either

This Steyr marked part is almost certainly a surplus part that some unknown third party used a laser engraver to engrave a USA logo onto a foreign part.

Mark, you are a great guy, your FAL knowledge and expertise is unsurpassed, and your contributions to the the FAL community are beyond measure but you are flat wrong on this.

You have already stated in writing in an open public forum that you have no direct personal knowledge of the origin of this part and that it came to you through a third party and not DSA. That third part told you,"It's a DSA part".

You therefore have no documentation or personal knowledge of a chain of custody that in any way shape or form even suggests, much less proves that DSA supplied this part.

Your unfounded and unwarranted accusations are serious and could well rise to the level of slander.

This thread was about the manufacturing methods of DSA FAL receivers and nothing more. Your hijacking this thread and Trolling of DSA to further your Jihad against them on this issue is beginning to wear thin and is probably eroding your hard earned reputation in the FAL community.

It is also safe to say that it is destroying the good will you have built up with DSA over the years for no good reason.

MBR29
March 13, 2009, 14:55
The truth is DSA DOES AND HAS cut back steyr flashiders but they also MAKE them too and they have for over 2 years for some of the STG58 carbines. They use them as a complaint part. Why this was not told before I have no clue.

Mark I'm sure it can be set up so that you get both the cut down one(still tech. considered a US part) and the 100% US prodution one then you can see yourself.

Mark I don't know how you could speak to some of this stuff if you are not at the DSA plant,

nwobhm
March 13, 2009, 18:28
Originally posted by gunplumber
You thought this import proof marks on DSA's "US Made" parts question would just go away?

Have you built any guns with these sets?

Topbanana
March 13, 2009, 18:44
MODS PLEASE SPLIT THIS THREAD. Let GP take this to a more appropriate forum.

And GP, let this topic die, do you have anything new to add to it since you last brought it up? Or do you just have nothing better to do with your time?

nwobhm
March 13, 2009, 18:54
Originally posted by Topbanana
MODS PLEASE SPLIT THIS THREAD.

I say we let it play out.

millerphys
March 14, 2009, 21:44
FN should let you have the license for FREE. You would be doing them a favor by selling a rifle people want. that FS200 and the ps90 aren't exactly the cat's meow. Look more like a mini 14 bull pup conversion. I have seen nicer looking aluminum moldings in a high school art class. CHEAP CRAP.

DSARep
March 16, 2009, 07:58
Guys this is not a discussion about Mr. Plumber or his "gunsmithing". Stay on topic or it will be locked. Any post by the Plumber in the DSA area will be removed regardless of the topic.

John

Illurian00
March 16, 2009, 20:45
DSA has used cast parts like our old HTS sets, but even they are now machined from a billet. If any machinist's say that our receivers are cast they would have to be

I ain't looking for trouble here, but the above qoute is obviously from the starter post. I'd be satisfied with an approximate date as to when the transition to machined HTS sets took place. Truth to tell, my SA58 has an God-awful trigger.

Thank You

ether
April 05, 2009, 23:11
I'm curious, too, if DSA started machining HTS sets from billet again. I'd buy a set or two if this is the case, but I don't want to take the chance on getting another cast set.