PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for MSAR STG-556 owners

JOHN E
March 07, 2009, 21:12
I just picked up a new (Gen IV) STG-556 yesterday with a rail and no scope. I have a factory 1.5x (?) scope on order and it should be here in two to three weeks, so I have a while to play with my new toy before I get to shoot it.

1. If I mount and zero an optic on this rail, will zero be lost when the rail is removed? I guess the same question goes for the factory scope.

2. At what range are the backup iron sights useful on the factory scope?

3. I've torn this rifle down several times and everything is easy except for that damn gas plug. The instructions are to grab the ears, push down and turn but it's just not moving. What am I doing wrong?

4. I picked up seven 42rd clear magazines with the rifle but I have my eye on some black 30's. Can the black 30's be found for less than $42- each anywhere?
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=32_104&products_id=1188&osCsid=ce213da654bcf769537d2f5439131fbc

5. The "bolt sleeve" or whatever it's called seems to partially cover the extractor. Is this normal or did I assemble it incorrectly? I cycled some rounds (outdoors) and everything seems to work, it just looks funny.

The manual included with the rifle doesn't have really clear pictures or idiot proof instructions, maybe they could print a comic book style TM for guys like me. :confused: :p :biggrin:

JOHN E
March 08, 2009, 15:03
Skip the black 30rd magazine price question, found some cheaper here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=92&t=655444
and he has more than advertised :cool:

Slow
March 08, 2009, 19:43
Originally posted by JOHN E
I just picked up a new (Gen IV) STG-556 yesterday with a rail and no sco
3. I've torn this rifle down several times and everything is easy except for that damn gas plug. The instructions are to grab the ears, push down and turn but it's just not moving. What am I doing wrong?

:p :biggrin:

dont know what gen. i have. but to turn the gas plug i have to push the ears to the side then turn by the ears.

if holding the rifle horizontally push down toward the ground. then turn

JOHN E
March 09, 2009, 06:27
Ahhhhh...slide to one side and then turn, that's how the instructions should read.

How about loss of zero when the scope is removed from the receiver?

Slow
March 12, 2009, 22:34
i have not removed the rail with the factory scope yet, look like it should retain zero.

JOHN E
March 13, 2009, 10:37
I spoke to one of the guys at MSAR the other day about that. He said that you won't return to a perfect zero but should only be a couple of inches off.