PDA

View Full Version : How to strip off British Stoving?

FULLMETALJACKET
March 06, 2009, 13:25
I've got some British L1A1 parts that I want to refinish (paint) and was wondering what kind of paint stripper will work on the original British Suncorite finish. I would prefer not to have to blast the parts so a paint stripper would be the preferred method.
Thanks
Randy

JohnnyMac
March 06, 2009, 13:31
Originally posted by FULLMETALJACKET
I've got some British L1A1 parts that I want to refinish (paint) and was wondering what kind of paint stripper will work on the original British Suncorite finish. I would prefer not to have to blast the parts so a paint stripper would be the preferred method.
Thanks
Randy

If my experience is any indication, you'll need a mixture of liquid uranium and molten lava. :tongue:

JMc

FULLMETALJACKET
March 06, 2009, 14:21
Sounds abour right:cry:

Blue Monster
March 06, 2009, 15:43
Find a Suncorite coated mag and experiment, just a thought.

Ron Walker
March 07, 2009, 14:43
If EZStrip won't work, try spray brake cleaner(it stripped a part for me that I didn't intend to strip). If it won't, then blasting is all that's left. Ron

FULLMETALJACKET
March 08, 2009, 19:49
Brake cleaner won't touch it. I haven't had a chance to try any typer of paint stripper yet.

Slo cat
March 08, 2009, 21:41
See 11 more posts on this subject HERE (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=252587).

Best Regards,
Slo cat

brownknees
March 08, 2009, 22:14
I'm not sure how informative they'll be, but this is the link into the page that asks technical support questions about paints & sealers for Henkel. They made the stuff, maybe they know of a way to remove it as well?

http://www.henkel.com/cps/rde/xchg/henkel_com/hs.xsl/12136_COE_HTML.htm

BRAD3
March 09, 2009, 20:34
laq thinner,,leave the stripped parts in a sealed pail over nite or a few days,,the old paint will fall off,,,clean up with mineral spirits,paint thinner

Scott S
March 11, 2009, 11:47
Castrol super purple, full strength, will loosen the black paint on Imbel mags enough to remove the coating with a toothbrush. Might work on stoving. Must use gloves when working with CSP.