PDA

View Full Version : Modify Inch Selector

Survey Punk
March 04, 2009, 05:38
Need to warp an Inch safety into a Metric rifle.
What's the plan, Man.

Thanks,
JB

Ky_FaLfiend
March 04, 2009, 06:40
do a search, used to be pics & everything on this

Survey Punk
March 04, 2009, 07:16
Performed search...Function sucks.

Thanks anyway. I'm sure it's there.

JB

brownknees
March 04, 2009, 10:46
Plan #1:
Bash off the little pin that's blocking the plate.:uhoh:

Plan #2:
Break the rifle down so you can get to the safety & remove it.
partially install the new safety till it hits the pin from #1 above.
wiggle back & forth a few times to scribe the inside of the plate with the arc & stop point for the pin.
Dremel, file, fit & fininsh to work.
I stopped a little short of the detent at first then final fitted removing very small amounts from the flat I'd made so it didn't overshoot.

brownknees
March 04, 2009, 10:53
The finished result.
You may, or may not need to do the cut in the PG for the lever to go into depending on the grip design.

W.E.G.
March 04, 2009, 11:22
You just want a fat thumb-lever right?

The DSA unit is a drop-in replacement.
http://www.dsarms.com/Semi-Auto-Extended-Selector-Switch-US-Made/productinfo/US076E/

If you have a "real" inch selector, they are in short supply these days.
Probably should do something noble with it.
Whatever that is.

Not like the $40 grody-lower days when we could scavenge inch or metric parts for next-to-nothing, and bashed-the-pin with abandon.

UMR_Engnr
March 04, 2009, 11:51
I read on here that you could pull the pin off or bash it but that didn't work well for me. In the end I ended up dremeling the pin even with the receiver and then popped it out the back. i believe the back was flared which is why it was a PITA to try and yank it out. I will need to fill in the hole at some point. But now I can just use the standard inch selector without mods. The finish on my selector was perfect, and it seemed like a shame to mess it up. I'll be refinishing my lower anyways, so I had no qualms removing the pin, as long as i don't plan on putting in a metric semi selector..

JR in the NW
March 04, 2009, 23:13
Why'd ya remove the pin? Just left the pin installed flush no issues.

Survey Punk
March 05, 2009, 07:23
Thanks Kids,
Was not aware that Inch parts were becoming scarce. May have to go the DSA route although DSA is not one of my favorite people.:wink:
Yep, just looking for an easier, more ergonomic lever. Don't want to hog on the grip as it's one that Maddog painted up back in the day...

Thanks Again,
JB

brownknees
March 05, 2009, 10:59
How about adding a lever to the existing button?
Theres a thread on here where someone (I foget who) made a lever that had a hole drilled thru it with a locking bolt to clamp the extension to the button.

13th Warrior
March 05, 2009, 17:33
Good luck with DSA as I have been waiting for two months for their extended safety selector. I finially calld customer service and talked to some chick that didnt know anything about anything! Im still waiting because their the only game in town unless someone comes across a truck load of inch stuff.

13th Warrior
March 05, 2009, 19:29
Ok, I know Im not the only one wating on Da slow arms safety selector. Who else is?

Survey Punk
March 06, 2009, 04:48
Originally posted by 13th Warrior
Good luck with DSA as I have been waiting for two months for their extended safety selector. I finially calld customer service and talked to some chick that didnt know anything about anything! Im still waiting because their the only game in town unless someone comes across a truck load of inch stuff.

That's a big reason why they're not on my top 10 list.
Is Inch stuff really getting that scarce?

JB

L/FN
March 07, 2009, 12:37
Indian selectors converted to metric.
Very well made part.

4 available.

$42.00 shipped.
Add $2.00 (optional) to insure.

Thanks
Larry

Bladewurk
March 09, 2009, 01:15
Okay I have an Inch selector on my STG and I wanna adjust the tension so it flicks off with less effort, I have to shift my rifle and really bear down on it!

The DSA rifles at the Shot show all had selectors that flicked off easily like my AR15, how do I do this? the detent appears to be swaged in place, I was thinking of taking out the detent and clipping the spring but don't see how??

L/FN
March 09, 2009, 01:37
Detent ball probably siezed up from poor flushing during parkerizing process.

Clamp thumb rest in padded vise jaws and tap punch to free ball then work ball while applying solvent. Try to safely blow out crud w/air while continued flushing.
(SAFETY GLASSES)

Larry

Bladewurk
March 09, 2009, 17:59
Hmm tried this but ball just seems to have alot of tension on it...:confused:

bykerhd
March 10, 2009, 11:09
Bladewurk, try letting some penetrating oil soak in around the detent for a bit.
Then try tapping it in with a brass punch. The idea would be to quite gently break it loose and NOT to just drive it down.
Once it moves at all, apply more penetrating oil.

If you manage to fill the recess with oil, you will then have a different issue. Hydraulic lock. At least draining the oil back out will fix that one.

A bit, maybe quite a bit, of working the detent against the spring and it should work as good as new,:wink:

Bladewurk
March 10, 2009, 20:08
ball moves just fine just too much tension..

bykerhd
March 10, 2009, 22:14
Working the detent with some oil may still fix it Bladewurk.
That is, if it is binding due to the parkerizing, old cosmoline or rust.
The penetrating oil still may be your best friend.
It probably won't help much if the issue is a serious burr or an overly stiff spring.