PDA

View Full Version : Beretta BM-59 gas cylinder question...

P.I. Staker
March 03, 2009, 03:13
I know these are rare as hens' teeth. I am doing a tanker garand conversion, got one of the Numrich 7.62 kits at a good price. :biggrin:

And now I know why:( The op rod is bent completely wrong, not even close to working.:mad:

I can't send it back as I am not the original purchaser.

So.... Does anyone out there have a BM 59 that can take a few nice photos of the gas cylinder?? May end up having to make one.

2barearms
March 03, 2009, 06:00
The BM59 is rather straight compared to an M1. You should be able to
get the parts from Reese or on Gunbroker. They are still very reasonable.
I don't know if the Gas Ports will be the same exactly but I believe everything
should cross over to M1 tanker type builds.

AliYahu
March 03, 2009, 14:03
They are rare and they are expensive *but* they pop up on www.ebay.it sometimes - how's your Italian? Reese can't get their hands on any, "Andy in Italy" hasn't had any in a while.
They do require a BM59-specific barrel (I think) and op rod (for certain), the BM59 op rod is straight. The BM59 gas system also requires a muzzle device.
The pic in this post (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=2448458#post2448458) is a Garand with a BM59 front end, the one below is a BM62.

Eli

Rotor
March 03, 2009, 14:59
If you have the 7.62 Numrich tanker kit you will be best served with M1 Garand gas cyl. ( find one stamped BMB. it's Itaaaaaahhlian)

You already know The tanker kit op rod will not work with the BM 59 gas cyl.

JR

P.I. Staker
March 03, 2009, 20:49
Originally posted by AliYahu
They are rare and they are expensive *but* they pop up on www.ebay.it sometimes - how's your Italian? Reese can't get their hands on any, "Andy in Italy" hasn't had any in a while.
They do require a BM59-specific barrel (I think) and op rod (for certain), the BM59 op rod is straight. The BM59 gas system also requires a muzzle device.
The pic here (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=2448458#post2448458) is a Garand with a BM59 front end.

Eli

Actually, I think that mught be a BM-62, imported in small numbers during the 1978-1981 time frame, cost a thousand bucks even back then IIRC.

P.I. Staker
March 03, 2009, 20:52
Originally posted by Rotor
If you have the 7.62 Numrich tanker kit you will be best served with M1 Garand gas cyl. ( find one stamped BMB. it's Itaaaaaahhlian)

You already know The tanker kit op rod will not work with the BM 59 gas cyl.

JR

Yup, but I would rather have the BM 59 setup since my tanker op rod is crap. I can get a bm 59 op rod from Reese, but no gas cylinder.

And modifying a Garand op rod that might not end up working right is almost as much money for an unclear outcome.

AliYahu
March 03, 2009, 21:08
Originally posted by P.I. Staker

Actually, I think that mught be a BM-62, imported in small numbers during the 1978-1981 time frame, cost a thousand bucks even back then IIRC.
The picture on this thread is a BM62, there's a link to another where I posted a "BM58" Garand with a BM59 front end.
To the OP: you might send the mess to a gunsmith like Shuff's (http://shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php). He can make it shorter than a "Tanker".

Eli

P.I. Staker
March 03, 2009, 23:22
Well there's a gas cylinder for sale up on e-pay italy......but I think I have a solution, take 2 gas cylinders to make one, gonna talk to a welder to see if the gas cylinders can be welded.

raexcct2
March 04, 2009, 10:31
Well there's a gas cylinder for sale up on e-pay italy....

Not any more. Thanks for the heads up.

AliYahu
March 04, 2009, 12:16
Originally posted by raexcct2

Not any more. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow, that thing wasn't cheap! There will be more though, they pop up there regularly. With the rifles being demilled in Italy, I wish we could get parts kits here - even without barrels!

Eli

raexcct2
March 04, 2009, 14:51
Eli,

You weren't kidding about not being cheap.

That was the first one I've seen for sale ever so I jumped on it and got a second one as a spare.

Got to sell more guns and other parts to finish this project.

Eli, if you can, PM with particulars on your CMP Armory build.

AliYahu
March 04, 2009, 21:31
Eli,

You weren't kidding about not being cheap.

That was the first one I've seen for sale ever so I jumped on it and got a second one as a spare.

Got to sell more guns and other parts to finish this project.

Eli, if you can, PM with particulars on your CMP Armory build.
Email sent. I understand about selling, I'm doing it myself to try to buy a house (!) and consolidate my collection into things I'll actually shoot and use.

Eli

raexcct2
March 04, 2009, 22:03
Eli,

I know the feeling. I just sold my ARS built L2A1 which I thought I would never sell and am in the process of finishing up my C2A1(with new in grease Aussie L2A1 barrel) and original Israeli Type A parts kit to sell plus another spare L2A1 parts kit also.

I'm getting rid of all my exotic, safe queens and concentrate on shooters and I think a Garand/BM59 hybrid will make an awesome shooter.

AliYahu
March 06, 2009, 01:13
I'm getting rid of all my exotic, safe queens and concentrate on shooters and I think a Garand/BM59 hybrid will make an awesome shooter.
I'm thinking the same thing.

Eli

2barearms
March 10, 2009, 13:43
If you haven't done so yet, ask Collen if they have any BM59 Gas Cyls
left. I got one a while back and they were not listed on the web page.
I also looked a cutting a couple M1 Cyls appart to make a 59 type,
it can be done but it could pucker the inside of the cyl and impede the
piston travel.

AliYahu
March 11, 2009, 22:49
Originally posted by 2barearms
If you haven't done so yet, ask Collen if they have any BM59 Gas Cyls
left. I got one a while back and they were not listed on the web page.

They don't, I've asked.

Eli

raexcct2
March 11, 2009, 22:50
Who's Collen? Is that Reese Surplus?

AliYahu
March 12, 2009, 07:13
Who's Collen? Is that Reese Surplus?

Yes.

Rotor
March 12, 2009, 09:03