PDA

View Full Version : Shall I wear a grey or black dress on my IZZ HB?

Larry-In-Eastbay
March 03, 2009, 01:15
OK ladies, I have a fashion question for you. What is todays spring fashion style for an IZZY HB.

Shall I have her wear grey or black.

The Story:

I am the sad victim of several gun ban hysteria purchases.

Bought a G1 kit before the 1989 CA AW ban, registered it then built it in the mid 1990's. Looks and shoots great!

Bought a Century L1A1 FRANKENFAL just before the 1994 Fed AW ban that was pretty true to original except the receiver which was metric without lightening cuts. Had to work on that one as it was real bad and head-space was so far off that it would not even lock on a round. Got it running and put one of those set screw hold original flash suppressors (threads were drilled out to match the cut barrel that had not threads) that got thrown down the range a couple of times while shooting so I think I shall thread it to stop than dangerous activity.

Bought an attempted FAL build during the 1999 CA AW ban II (gear logo Imbel and Izzy HB) that was in great condition except it got really scuffed up by the prior owner trying to time the barrel filing the shoulder and sanding the finish off the front receiver (best as I can tell). It overtimes a bit but that is repairable with a washer and should be OK from what I can tell.

So since I was the victim of several gun ban hysteria purchases and way overpaid every time I want to try something different this time during the current hysteria and I thought I would work on my guns instead of overpaying for more half finished projects. I have had that IZZY HB for almost 10 years and never put it together so I think now is the time to do this.

I will obviously have to refinish the IZZY HB build. Since I have never had to do parkerizing before I am thinking of jobbing this out with a pro. Anyone out there do an IZZY HB parkerizing and if so any pics of your work?

Seems the Izzy was finished in a grey parkerizing that lightened up and turned green over time. Should I go grey or black? I do like the grey Izzy look but then it will be a grey rifle instead of a black rifle. Anyone have pics of an IZZY parkerized dark black. I am partial to a real dark black parkerizing.

Any thoughts out there on which way you would parkerize? Also is their strong feelings on the second coating (like guncoat or whatever coating system) as to whether this is a great idea and also since most are like a paint does the coating interference interfere with the internals and the cover and so on? Do you just coat the exterior?

Last, I want to thread my cut L1A1 barrel. If I read the threads here correctly the L1A1 has RH threads while the STG and metric have LH threads. Is that correct? If this was your barrel which way would you go, LH or RH, and why? I am thinking of sticking OEM as much as possible as putting a 5 slot L1A1 FS on this and going RH (if that's correct) but I see many folks have this FS LH threaded as well and seems like all the wicked muzzle attachments are LH threaded if I am reading this all correctly.

MY QUESTIONS:
1) So shall I go grey or black on the Izzy?
2) Shall I put on the second coat system on it?
3) Shall I put LH or RH threads on my Century L1A1?

Just looking for some opinions to help me make up my mind. Some pics/links on a black Izzy would be appreciated so I can compare to an original Izzy.

THANKS!

gska3873
March 03, 2009, 07:36
I personally like the Izzy's phosphated. Here is one I did a couple of weeks ago. It was blasted with 70 grit Alluminum Oxide. The phoshpate process used was an industrial one running it through a cleaner tank, tap water rinse, second rinse, pre-treatment tank, manganese phosphate tank, tap water rinse, then a rust inhibitor sealer tank. Ends up turning out a very dark charcoal grey color.

davesrb
March 03, 2009, 09:09
I built mine with a paint over park like the finish on the kit. In this case Duracoat HK Black.
Davesrb
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/davesrb/DSC00879.jpg

stimpsonjcat
March 03, 2009, 12:14
Originally posted by davesrb
I built mine with a paint over park like the finish on the kit. In this case Duracoat HK Black.
Davesrb
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w119/davesrb/DSC00879.jpg

That lower one a Canadian? Dang I love the way those look!

torquemada055
March 03, 2009, 20:19
I gotta say it man!!!!

GOT WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whiskey:

davesrb
March 04, 2009, 00:03
Originally posted by stimpsonjcat

That lower one a Canadian? Dang I love the way those look!

Yes, It's a C2 clone. I love the way the look also..
Davesrb

davesrb
March 04, 2009, 00:04
Originally posted by torquemada055
I gotta say it man!!!!

GOT WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:whiskey:

LOL, just sounds better that "Got plastic!" doesn't it?

My wife refers to any of my FAL related activities as "He's fondling his wood again!":biggrin:
Davesrb

Fleabus
March 04, 2009, 21:02
On the Israeli and G1s black`s where its at. Also looks good on SA58s.

Larry-In-Eastbay
March 05, 2009, 01:09
Thanks guys, appreciate the pics, makes me want to build it tonight without parkerizing.

Keep the good stuff coming. I need help making up my mind.

Also.......forgot to ask.

Are you folks parkerizing before or after barreling. I can see after barreling makes certain you fix all the ooopssies with the wrenches. Before though would be more thorough.

Still looking for what folks are doing with gun coat for parts that might interfere (internal parts I think mostly)?

Also on what folks are preferring to thread with (in particular L1A1 threading LH or RH)?

Thanks and keep it coming.

I have the gun hysteria fever like everyone else and want to go out and buy some guns and ammo because of Obama, the Democratic Congress, the Stimulus plan that has anti-gun legistlation in it by declaring more Federal Land Gun free zones (what the heck does that have to do with stimulating the econoy, just more sicko liberal I will boss you around laws because I am a highly educated Ivy league college graduate and you are part of the great unwashed masses of humanity that need me to protect you from yourself).

This time I think I will devote my hysteria energy to completing all my unfinished gun projects.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

By the way gska3873, davesrb, thanks for the pics. You have some beautiful rifles. And yes since this is an Izzy it will have "GOT WOOD"

Bring it on guys!