PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen a Brit L1A1 Chrome lined barrel???

Thorack
March 02, 2009, 10:16
Hi,

I good friend of mine was very curious about the chrome lined Brit barrel question as I swore, I heard or read here that the later, mid 80's, Brit produced replacement barrels were chrome lined?

One reason I ask is no one can answer me on what the "V HC", marking is I have seen on several of the late model Brit barrels. I have seen the "V HC" on 85 and 86 Enfield barrels and an 87 Parker Hale.

Anyone here got any ideas?

Thorack

charles isaac
March 02, 2009, 10:32
The barrel on my L1A1 is chrome lined. Made back in '83. Can't remember who made it, but I'll pull the handguards and check if you want.

Thorack
March 02, 2009, 10:43
Chuck,

That would be great. Do you know if its a Brit barrel, or one of the other Commonwealth entities?

Thanks
Thorack

sturmgrenadiere
March 02, 2009, 13:12
Charles, yes, please let us have all the numbers on it if you can. Theron and I got talking on this and this is the first I have ever heard of the Brits finally chrome lining the bores. The chambers always were. But I can't find a written reference anywhere that the Brits ever chormed them towards the end of production, but who knows. I have owend late make barrels that were hardly used that "looked" chromed in the bore due to their shine. But they were still just unlined steel. Just not used much so they looked unusally shiney. and why again did I sell those a few years ago... damnit.

If you can pull the flash hider to see if it has the muzzle flash of chrome, that would be great.

Ben

mrf2
March 02, 2009, 22:29
I'm pretty sure my 1980 Enfield is Chrome lined. I seem to remember some post, way, way back with some suporting evidence but I can't find it now. My FH is now properly affixed so I don't really want to tear it off. Maybe when I get it rebuilt on one of the new Brit cut Entreprises I'll get a good look at it.

mrf2

Falfegnügen
March 02, 2009, 22:39
Isn't there a picture in Blake Steven's book that shows the chrome plating apparatus used in L1A1 production? Am I just imagining that was Brit?

charles isaac
March 03, 2009, 07:49
The barrel was an unfired Brit that came with the refurbed '58 Enfield kit I bought back in '92. I have an Aussie barrel that is not chromed.

The Brit is definitely chrome lined. I left it too long without cleaning it and when I looked down the bore, it was full of rust, so I thought I had trashed the bore! How could this be? The bore is chromed, so I was baffled.

I brushed out the bore 20 passes or so then ran an oily patch, lots of rust but the bore was still shiny as new.

Turned out the Port ammo has steel in the jacket and the residue had rusted up. If the barrel had not been chromed, it would have exhibited the effects of this rust.

I have a Canadian flash suppressor wrench, but neither of my vices are set up right now so it may be a while before I can pull the FS, but I will get to it when I can.

I will pull the handguards and post the info.

sturmgrenadiere
March 03, 2009, 08:09
Interesting. In regards to the "book", if I recall all the chrome lining process tools were Long Branch specific.

kalliste
March 03, 2009, 09:35
The L4 Bren 7.62 barrels were chrome-lined, so the Brits did do chrome lining of barrels. What doesn't make sense is, why bother with it late in the life cycle of the rifles when, AFAIK, there had been no issues with the earlier SLR barrels not being chrome lined?

I wouldn't put it past them to have imported barrels from Australia (and Canada) for refurbishing SLRs later in their service life. That might be where chrome-lined "British" barrels come from. The mass production run of SLRs in England ended in the early sixties, AFAIK. By the eighties they could have been buying bits from Australia rather than ordering new production parts - however, this is speculation on my part.

Thorack
March 03, 2009, 09:55
Kalliste,

You might be correct about the Brits buying some small Aussie or other Commonwealth parts but the late model barrels, Mid 80's, used for refurbing SLRs were all either Enfield or Parker Hale marked leading me to believe they were made in Britain.

The Chroming I believe to be tied to the "V HC" marking, no idea what the V is for but I believe the "HC" to stand for hard chroming, but like you said its just conjecture until an expert wades in.

Thoarck

shingen
March 03, 2009, 17:08
I have a 78 Enfield barrel that's fully chromed. There's no V HC on it, but it is marked B CF (hammer forged).

Falfegnügen
March 03, 2009, 22:00
Originally posted by sturmgrenadiere
Interesting. In regards to the "book", if I recall all the chrome lining process tools were Long Branch specific.

Could be. But in my mind it's all British. I think I'll go look.

Falfegnügen
March 03, 2009, 22:20
Yes, looks like that is Canadian in Steven's book. Hmm...

mrf2
March 03, 2009, 22:31
Pulled my HG's off (took pics of the markings if anyone wants to see 'em) and noted the following:
1) Charging handle side near chamber: B CF D (Enfield D in E) 81 ...part number...broad arrow...tons of proofs
2) underside of barrel, near chamber end, almost even with the above marking "FB 500"

Barrel has matching Enfield 81 gas block, and I am pretty darn sure it's chrome lined.

mrf2

Thorack
March 05, 2009, 10:52
OK,

Now where are the so called experts? Kev, NZ, or any other the other so called experts where are you? Apparently you are a bit overrated.

Thorack

sturmgrenadiere
March 06, 2009, 11:18
Unfortunately Mr. Skennerton did not have any info on Brit barrels. Granted, his expertise is Aussie stuff. But I am contacting anyone who might know.

I am in the works on contacting RSAF and Royal Armories. We can spin our wheels seeing what each other might know, or heard, read on a bathroom wall or thought they saw in a SOF magazine in 1986..., or... we can simply try and contact the folks who might actually have the production records or practical memory of the rifles.

I'll keep you posted.

Shingen and mrf2, an academic question: How do you "know" it is chrome lined? A super shiny bore is not an indicator. Have you, among other methods:

-pulled the flash-hider and seen the distinguishing flash of chrome on the crown face?
-reparked the barrel and noticed the bore did not park but remained nice and shiny?
-tried to cold blue a spot of the bore and it didn't take the slightest bit?

Not challenging the possibility that they could indeed be lined. Just trying to rule things out.

The first hammer forged Lithgow barrel I bought was on the premise it was fully chrome lined until I then did my homework. Without having been educated on the realities of the barrel, I would have though tit was lined given the flawless shine of the bore.

Presented for what its worth...

Regards

Ben

Thorack
March 06, 2009, 11:59
Sturm,

Always with the positive waves. Now why I didnt think of asking a Brit in Britian the question is also pointless conjecture. I think it was probably too obvious, thats why I missed it.

Keep us informed. Really looking forward to hearing the response.

Thanks
Thorack

sturmgrenadiere
March 06, 2009, 17:45
I'm going to call you "Odd ball", thought I am not sure I am a good "Kelly"...

Thorack
March 10, 2009, 14:26
Sturm,

I think your German nom de plume probably would mean that Kelly would have shot you. Not to mention your to tall to be Kelly. I'll watch it again and get you pegged soon enough.

Oddball
AKA Thorack

sturmgrenadiere
March 10, 2009, 21:48
Yeah... I came up with this screen name on attempt number 30 or so of less Teutonic names... Everything else I came up with was taken. Had I known I'd end up being thoroughly addicted to these rifles and hang out here for years, I might have picked something simpler for me to type in like "pookie" or something really misleading like "Ben".

But the pain to change a name, and everyone knows us by these cheesy screen names when buying and selling, etc.

So it was meant to have some homage to being a Marine, but even that gets lost in translation to some (no pun intended)...

More than you expected in a reply. I could just steal your line...

"Crap!"...

tophatjones
April 11, 2009, 07:49
I have an Enfield barrel, D79. Only the chamber is chrome lined. I know this because it is a Century chopped barrel, and there is no chrome to steel transition at the muzzle.