PDA

View Full Version : Improve my Security Six

ByronF
March 01, 2009, 19:57
My stainless Sec-6 has 2-7/8" barrel and full-sized bakelite stocks of unknown mfg. Kind of look like Hogues. I'm getting excited about this wheel gun for some reason. I dehorned a goodly portion of it because it used to bite my finger when shooting DA. Dehorned a lot of other areas that tend to wear out holsters and snag on stuff. So lets hear some ideas on what else to do to do with this excellent little revolver.

K. Funk
March 01, 2009, 21:17
The short barrelled Security Six is actually a pretty desireable model from a collectors standpoint. I know you can get spring kits for them to help the trigger pull. I would think that a set of rubber grips might not be a bad idea either. Speedloaders are readily available. I am tickled pink with mine and it shoots very well.

krf

gunner30
March 01, 2009, 21:37
I love mine, other than a nice set of Pachmayers, it's all stock, nice carry gun. Got it stoked with 6 Black Talon hollow points, practice load is Hornady 125 gr jhps. Gives a nice muzzle flash with those, and very accurate at close range, even with the short bbl. Enjoy

Gunner

Deltaten
March 01, 2009, 23:21
Yep! A Wolff spring kit and a set of Pachmyers goes a helluva way.
Matter of fact... I believe I have a set of Pachys out in the shop. Lemme see if they're for the Sec.6 (square butt?) and I'll pm ya. Still at the same addy??

IIRC, we eased a few edges on Big Larry's too.. The edges of the trigger guard and a few others. The spring set was a huge help for him; as was the grips. Made it into a totally different revolver:D

Best,
Paul

BUFF
March 02, 2009, 05:49
Polish the sides of the hammer and trigger on a flat surface. An abraisive paper taped to window glass is good. You already noticed that the edges of the trigger are too sharp. Round the face of the trigger a bit and mooth out the edges of the face of the trigger, where your finger rides.

The mainspring rides on a stamped strut. Remove the mainspring and polish the strut.

The mainspring in a Ruger 10/22 is about the same size but lighter. Order one from Ruger and replace the one in the handgun.

They are a very good gun.

bigskyjake
March 02, 2009, 16:25
I have a 4" Security Six that I love to death. It belonged to my uncle and it'd prolly be the last gun I ever parted with

Bukaluka
March 02, 2009, 18:58
Bought ours in 1978, all stainless model set up just like Gunner30's, all stock with Pach's. Wife and all of the kids have used it for their CCW's over the years.

Thanks for the tips on polishing the hammer, trigger and main spring stud and using the 10-22 spring.

It's a heavy little sucker!!

Richard in PV

Bukaluka
March 02, 2009, 19:00
I also contacted Ruger a couple of weeks ago to see if they ever had a 9MM conversion cylinder, kind of like the Speed 6 in 9MM.

That was a no-go.

Richard in PV

ByronF
March 02, 2009, 20:41
Let's see if this sticks:

I beveled the edges of the hammer serrations and filed off the tops of the serrations. Rounded the edges of trigger, rounded bottom tip, and did lots of smoothing of the trigger guard. Rounded top edges of top strap and barrel top rib, especially at the muzzle. Stocks have a Hogue-esque look but are a bit thinner like the Pachmer Grippers. Need to -glass the stocks to fit the frame tighter because it shifts a bit. Two piece panels with screw from the other side. I'm thinking maybe beadblast and Gun-Kote?

How does one reduce the cylinder gap? Is there a compelling reason for me to want to do this?

BUFF
March 03, 2009, 02:54
Those look like Rogers grips.

There were two diffferent grip frame shapes for the Ruger Sec. 6, and grips from one either fit the other poorly or not at all.

Cylinder/barrel gap is corrected by removing the barrel, turning the shoulder down, screwing it back in and filing the rear edge of the barrel to get the correct gap. 0.06" is ideal; 0.03" to 0.09" works.

yarro
March 19, 2009, 22:23
I wore out the security six that my dad gave me. It was a four inch, nice shooting gun. Descent trigger, but not as nice as either of my S&W triggers, but better than the GP100 and SP101. Durable, 10-15k of full house 158gr .357s and 20-25k of 158gr .38spc lead SWCs. Also used to set and dry fire it 300 times every night for over a year until I could hit well in DA mode. Went through 2 sets of internals before it finally got too loose to fix cheaper than buying a new one so I replaced it with a GP100. If you throw out cost, I prefer my S&W, but you can sometimes find real good deals on Security Sixes that you need extreme luck to find in a S&W.

One thing that I have found having owned both the blued and stainless versions of Rugers and S&Ws is that the blued guns always have a smoother trigger pull out of the box. Don't know if anyone has had the same experience.

-Yarro