PDA

View Full Version : out of windage, can i modify rear sight?

twistedneck
March 01, 2009, 18:12
shoots one inch left at 50 yards, rear sight maxed out right... probably caused by under timed bbl.

any ideas for modding the rear sight?

ByronF
March 01, 2009, 18:25
How about modding the timing? Fix what's wrong would be my recommendation. Easy thing to do if you've got the tools. Not so expensive to have it done if you can find someone with tools near you. Where are you located?

W.E.G.
March 01, 2009, 18:55
One degree rotation of the barrel will change downrange point of impact 5 MOA.

one degree = 5 inches at 100 yards

twistedneck
March 01, 2009, 20:17
Originally posted by ByronF
How about modding the timing? Fix what's wrong would be my recommendation. Easy thing to do if you've got the tools. Not so expensive to have it done if you can find someone with tools near you. Where are you located?

Byron, i totally agree i need to fix the root cause of the issue, and will when i get around to it. however right now i want to do something quick and simple and i dont mind if the rear sight is off beyond its normal limit by 2mm.

I did fix it, i just pulled the rear sight apart and counter sunk the left sight screw hole 2mm deeper, this gave me the small bit more right hand travel needed to zero in the windage. Will test it when it gets warmer, freakin 15 degress out there in MIchigan today!

I did a trade for this rifle from someone on the board, I can't really return it so i am not exaxctly sure if it is really under timed or not. 'shoots to the left needs more heft'..

HankC
March 02, 2009, 19:36
Originally posted by twistedneck
shoots one inch left at 50 yards, rear sight maxed out right... probably caused by under timed bbl.

any ideas for modding the rear sight?

You can drill/end mill the windage screw hole deeper that will give you more adjustment. I did that and works great but the sight will sit off to one side.